iPhone audio question

Lancashire soundie

The social media crew on a large job I work on have a slight issue.  They do Facebook Live broadcasts before the event begins, which are very popular.  A presenter walks around the area, talking about the competitors, for several minutes.  They do this with a Beyer M58 (or similar), plugged into an iRig Pre, which itself is plugged into an iPhone via the 4-pin minijack socket on the top.  The iPhone then combines the mic audio and its camera video to broadcast to several thousand viewers, on Facebook.  That part is done through a Facebook app.

The iRig Pre has a headphone socket, but I found out this weekend that this headphone socket is not amplified.  It's just a passthrough, so essentially if you plug headphones into the iRig, you only hear the phone - not the iRig.  This is a problem, because the Facebook app doesn't allow simultaneous monitoring of audio while transmitting (the phone is capable of this, but the app is not).  So the operator cannot hear the microphone.

Obviously I've set the iRig gain to work correctly, but it would still be a benefit for everyone if the operator could hear what the presenter is saying, and if the audio is good/bad.

So I need a device to put between the iRig Pre and the iPhone.  I need this device to let the iRig's output continue uninterrupted into the iPhone, while taking a feed and amplifying it so that someone can listen to the iRig Pre on headphones.  Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Highly recommend the IRig Pro. The difference to IRig Pre is that the A/D converter is built in, so you can achieve much better audio performance 24/48. So it's more or less a sound Carl for the phone.

Also you can set levels manually with a poti. When the green light switches to yellow, you have reached -10 dBFS.

It is connected via Lightning.

I used it successfully with a SD 664 with output set to -10. So a wireless "hop" would also work.

8 hours ago, daniel said:

A radio mic set with HP O/P. Eg. Sony or Sennheiser (HP on RX). The Rode 2.4ghz RM set has HP O/P on the plug-on TX which is useful if you wanted the mic operator to monitor. 

I'm trying to get them to use one of the SKM 100-835 G3 stick mics I bought for the job in place of the Beyer, with the RX feeding the iRig, but that still leaves the problem of monitoring.  Asking them to carry all that kit (I'm not there while they're doing it) is too much.

6 hours ago, Mobilemike said:

You could use something like the Sound Devices Mix-Pre D instead of the iRig. I've used this to record into my phone several times and it works very well. A little more bulky obviously but sounds great. 

-Mike

Too expensive.  Just need a cheap and easy way to plug headphones in, quality not a concern.

6 hours ago, nickreich said:

the Rode iXLR should be perfect for this. looks like a typical plug-on transmitter, except it has a Lightning cable to feed the iPhone, and an onboard headphone amp with direct feed from the mic.

Not a bad shout, but a bit too expensive (budgets are tight).  Is this really teh cheapest option?  Would be a shame if it is.

1 hour ago, Mungo said:

Highly recommend the IRig Pro

No headphone socket though.

1 hour ago, Tom Duffy said:

The TASCAM iXR was designed for this use scenario,

Nice, but way, way too big.

On April 5, 2017 at 8:27 AM, nickreich said:

the Rode iXLR should be perfect for this. looks like a typical plug-on transmitter, except it has a Lightning cable to feed the iPhone, and an onboard headphone amp with direct feed from the mic.

This was going to be my suggestion as well. It's probably the best solution that I've seen in this case for this scenario.