Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Trey LaCroix

Sennheiser 816 (p48) hiss and crackling noise

15 posts in this topic

Hey everybody! The other night I plugged in my 816 (phantom powered) and I noticed a loud-ish hiss and crackling noise. I tried it with a couple different power supplies to see if that was the issue, but same thing with each one. I'm taking it in to be looked at tomorrow, but wanted to check here to see if anyone has experienced this.

Thanks!

That's the sound of it dying. However it can be brought back to life chez Sennheiser. 

Thanks guys. Yep, that seems to be the case. Waiting to hear from the service department what the cost of a new capsule (and possibly s new preamp) will be. Hope it's not too expensive because I love that mic!

It might not even be the capsule it could just be a component.  Capsules are generally pretty expensive.  Good technician or Sennheiser should get you going in no time. 

Yeah it could just be a single component that needs replacing. Most likely not the capsule. 

A leaky capacitor is a likely suspect.  

You might wish to contact Pete Verrando and see if it's something he would tackle.

I sent an on again off again crackling and hissing 816t to sennheiser years back. They had it over two months. Possibly three. Made several calls into the office asking if all was well. Took a while because it was intermittent. They said. Finally got it back. No charge. And, no fix... and no explanation.

Pete Verrando is awesome. He just did some work for me on a schoeps cmc4 and it only took a day and super low cost. I highly recommend you contact him as well. 

Thanks for the responses everyone. Mark at Location Sound is pretty confident that it's the capsule, but maybe a second opinion isn't a bad idea. Especially since the price of a new capsule is twice the price I paid for my 816 used. I'll give Pete a call.

Just curious if you ever figured out how to fix your 816?   I have one that needs to be looked at but Senn said they won't service them anymore.    

On 5/8/2017 at 6:01 AM, Mack said:

Just curious if you ever figured out how to fix your 816?   I have one that needs to be looked at but Senn said they won't service them anymore.    

Just got my 816 back from Pete Verrando with the issue SOLVED! I guess a few things in on the board needed to be re soldered. Can't say enough good things about that guy! You should definitely hit him up if your 816 needs some looking at.

Can you PM his contact for me?   Thanks! 

42 minutes ago, Mack said:

Can you PM his contact for me?   Thanks! 

Or you could go to all the trouble of doing a search here for his info which is readily available.