Quick question about tentacle sync

Freeheel

1 hour ago, bdumaguina said:

One thing to note if one is looking at purchasing or using Tentacle Sync, is to consider if audio post will be working on a Mac or PC. As of the moment, I've had hit and miss experiences syncing audio to video on a PC using Tentacle Timecode Tool and DaVinci Resolve (one of the only software that can read LTC and burn it in as timecode Metadata). On a Mac, they have Tentacle Sync Studio which is a breeze to work on since Tentacle was first built for that platform. Also make sure if the audio post house has indeed worked with Tentacle Synced material, as the softwares mentioned above are not free.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

It's up to post to use whatever tool for syncing the audio back at base. mac or pc in post is not our department and is irrelevant to using a tentacle sync unit in the field on a camera. Any issues you have with syncing are a software or set up problem and have nothing to do with the tentacles as it would happen with any brand of tc generator on the camera.

Someone more knowledgable on the topic of TC and syncing in post will chime in soon to help you.. 

Grant.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing to note if one is looking at purchasing or using Tentacle Sync, is to consider if audio post will be working on a Mac or PC. As of the moment, I've had hit and miss experiences syncing audio to video on a PC using Tentacle Timecode Tool and DaVinci Resolve (one of the only software that can read LTC and burn it in as timecode Metadata). On a Mac, they have Tentacle Sync Studio which is a breeze to work on since Tentacle was first built for that platform. Also make sure if the audio post house has indeed worked with Tentacle Synced material, as the softwares mentioned above are not free.

Grant above is right.
In addition, audio post doesn't normally sync audio and video. This is for the edit room. Once they have done that, the software used becomes irrelevant. They will then have to coordinate with all subsequent post positions. None of that will have anything to do with the sync software, much less with the TC generator used on set.
If you are having trouble using the various Tentacle apps, or DaVinci Resolve (which is from another manufacturer, of course) you should perhaps contact them for advice

Yes you are both correct, I was indeed referring to edit post. My bad.

I was simply mentioning that Tentacle has a workflow that may not fly with edit post. If they want a better timecode solution, they should rent out the big cameras (Red or Arri) and a TC based audio recorder. But for DSLR shooting who wants a TC solution, they will have to work with Tentacle or other LTC based TC solutions.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk