UCR411a select buttons beep

Zach R

One of my 411s seems to beep when I press the select arrows. 

It's a pretty faint beep that you'd only notice when pressing the buttons in a quiet room. 

I did a forum search and didn't find anyone else talking about this, so I was wondering if this is something others have experienced? And if so, what causes it?

thanks

Thee is no beeper designed into the UCR411a or transducer of any type.  The only thing I can think of would be a faint noise either from the physical button squeaking along the side of the hole in the panel or perhaps a very faint change in oscillation of the controller for the LCD display as the display reacts to the button push.  (LCD's and their support circuits can "whine" at extremely low levels) If that's the case, I want your hearing!

I figured there wasn't a beeper built into the 411. 

In regards to the physical squeak - it's only audible through the 411's output. I wouldn't hear a squeak from pressing the button if the unit was off or not running through something with headphones. 

The LCD screen whine you speak of sounds like the closer match. Though, rather than a whine, it's definitely a short beep - like a very faint Casio watch beep. 

If it makes a difference, it makes the beep at the home screen as well (where the select buttons do not affect the LCD)

10 minutes ago, soundtrane said:

i'd like a ear transplant with yours Zach... 

I wish I could say my ears were THAT good! Haha

I'm thinking it's not the LCD whine you're talking about though. It doesn't seem to correlate with the LCD changing. Rather, it's more a direct 'press button' -> get a beep through the output. - like the digital watch example. 

Thanks Peter - glad someone else has heard it. Since its not something hindering my recordings I'm not really worried about it either. I'm just curious about it. 

We have heard this occasionally when signals from the display (or button presses) find there way into the oscillator and "modulate" the first conversion oscillator. If your display cable is routed near the oscillator cover (1st photograph) try routing as shown in the second photograph shown here.

Follow the tutorial shown on our website (up to step 7) to get access to the display cable:

http://www.lectrosonics.com/US/Service-Bulletins/sb1005-lcd-display-module-pn-48353-replacement-instructions-for-ucr-series.html 

LCD_Cable_near_VCO_Cover.jpg

LCD_Cable_reroute.jpg