Sennheiser mkh70

TommygunZA

Ive been upgrading my equipment, got the SD633, got some cos 11 for my sony wireless and am very happy. My current rifle, Sen me66+k6 needs an update and already own the Rycote ws4+ fluffy etc. I was looking at the usual 416 or mkh8060. Here in ZA they are a little pricey at Rand 18,000, about 1400dollars. Ive seen an MKH70 with blimp, fluffy and pistol grip for about R13,000 or just under $1000. I know its more outdoor (as is the 416?) Is it worth getting providing its in good condition. Im figuring its better than the ME66 and could tide me over till I get the 8060 and Ill have some cash left over to eat...Any ideas on the mic?

TIA

Like the majority of "What mic should I buy?" questions posed on this forum, the answer would be best determined by the information that was not supplied.  Perhaps most beginners don't yet realize that mic choice depends upon specifics such as application, situation, acoustics, clientele, and numerous other information and factors that only they are privy to.

A generalized short answer is:  If you work almost exclusively outdoors, and often at some distance, then the MKH70 could be a good choice -- otherwise, there are mics that would be a much better tool. 

Almost any top notch mic designed for the type of situation you'd use it in would be a sizable improvement over the ME66.

Also keep in mind that good mic choice depends more on situation and application than it does popularity.

Hi Tommy,

Not an easy answer here. Outside, my favorite mic is Sennheiser MKH 70. Indoors, Sennheiser MKH 50. If you are doing ENG and television, a popular one is Sennheiser MKH 60; beautiful mid frequencies, not so good low end frequencies. Sennheiser MKH 416 is my favorite microphone so far for all applications.

Since you are planning to buy Sanken COS-11 lavaliers, Sanken CS-3e is a very good companion.

Most of the used MKH70's I've seen are listed in the $1300-1500 range. It sounds like there is not a ton of used mics around you so if it's in good condition I would say it's definitely worth getting. If you don't like it or want something else later it should be easy to sell it back for what you paid. 

-Mike

Thanks for the responses. As always it must be a mic that can do it all!! That's why I initially wanted the 8060 as a good all rounder. I do realise its horses for courses and ideally Id have at least 3 good rifle MIcs for indoors and outdoors with different pick up patterns..in time. I think I will go for it (the mkh70)as it will be better than the me66 (although I quite like that too, *gasp*(and give me more kudos with those who really care, me included)) and with the pistol grip, blimp and fluffy I cant loose (too much). I think the posts asking "What mic should I buy" are generally people wanting the best all rounder for every situation including underwater and in the north pole. I don't believe all the people on this board went and bought 2 or 3 rifle mics straight off? 

Now I think of it, if its not been done already a thread on what your first bought kit set up was (with your own cash)

The MKH 70 is definetely not an allrounder, and many people nowadays don't even have a long shotgung like that anymore. Probably because the short shotguns are getting so much better.

But there are also those who use something like the MKH50 indoors and outdoors and when needed will then reach for the 70 completely foregoing the short shotgun 60 altogether. So maybe it is a good buy for you, just be prepared that you may be someone who will actually never use it.

I love the mkh70 and use it quite often when I'm doing ENG run'n'gun stuff outdoors. Indoors I'll often go with its companion, the mkh50. But if you are out in the sticks looking to get your first "all arounder", I think the mkh 416 still holds its place there. It is a great mic, works well "all around", and is bulletproof. 

The 8060 is certainly a fancy mic, but if I only had that to rely on, I'd probably be a bit nervous. I'm not sure how durable of a mic it is, but it seems to be susceptible to the elements from what I've read. 

In any case, like others have said here, it all depends upon the type of work that you do. My two cents is that if you are a sound mixer of any sort, you should own a 416, at least one. They won't let you down. 

The first series of the 8060 had humidity problems but have been modified and replaced by Sennheiser. The new ones with the black ring are rock solid (I work with 4 different ones) and never had the slightest problem. It's a great mike for eng work, inside and outside. Its small length is a great advantage as it fits in a small Rycote. The output level is huge and the sound is just excellent in my opinion as it helps to extract the voice from the background. But in matter of sound, tastes are very personal.

2 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

It appears your "all around" is much different from mine.

If I were forced to use just one "all around" microphone, it would not be a long shotgun -- that would be my last choice.

No pun intended but I hear you. I just cant resist a bargain! If worst comes to worst Ill keep with the ME66 as no one has complained so far and I actually do do a lot of run and gun ENG jostling for position. At least its a reasonable outdoor and I can get a more indoorsy one next. Soundies outside the US and EU really are squeezed on price and availability of gear and of course import taxes. I should maybe listen to my wife  though who says "Even a bargain costs money!"

Thanks for all the feedback.

My experience is similar to Constantin, in that I have not used my long shotgun for over a year now, while my supercardioid and short shotgun arsenal sees regular use.

Part of being a professional is knowing what tools will best serve your needs.  So, despite the value of any advice offered here, it's definitely your choice to make.  Whatever path you take, you'll learn from it and move forward.

I agree. Why spend $1000 on a mic that is rarely the right choice? There are piles of used 416s around. I can't imagine it'd be hard to find one under $1000, even in ZA. And the 70 is huge for booming indoors.

I've seen lots of 70s go up for sale at more than $1000, but I wouldn't count on being able to sell it off down the road. As stated, many people don't even carry a long shotgun. Myself included. Never have. 

10 minutes ago, TommygunZA said:

and keep saving for the 416 or mkh 8060.

you can get a NEW 416 for around 630-650EUR net on a lot of places, and the 8060 for like 900EUR net (for example check proav or pink noise). 

now the question again is: which :) 
the 8060 is lighter and a bit nicer indoors, the 416 more rugged and less sensitive to handling.

chris