Your first sound setup or kit ever

TommygunZA

Id be interested in what peoples first investment was with their own hard earned cash in terms of sound gear and setting themselves up as a 'soundie'. Maybe state if it was for TV or for Film and if you can remember the cost. Maybe you hired or the gear was already there for you to use initially but at some stage you wanted your own "stuff', even if it was recording direct to a wax drum, I know there are some old timers out there...What was it?

I did search the forums (probably not so well) so feel free to delete this thread if its has been discussed ad nauseum...

3 minutes ago, al mcguire said:

A Schoeps CMC4 w/ MK41 capsule brand new from Audio Services Corp. LA 1988

Really, no mixer or boom, cables/umbilical, wireless? You could get a job with just that? You must be a good talker/salesman! Or did you just hire the rest?

M-Audio Microtrack II $100

Sound Devices MM-1 $400

a used mkh 415 $400

headphones and cables I already owned $0

and a home-made boom pole. $20

I used this on student films and shorts until I could afford a couple of Sennheiser G2s. Once I had a couple wireless mics, I got real busy and was able to eventually buy a Tascam DR-680, an mkh416 (the 415 didn't last long), and a Gitzo boom pole (which came with my used 416). I think the upgrade was about $3000. After adding a couple more Sennheiser wireless to my kit, my next big purchase was my 788T. Quite a jump. But I was doing reality TV at that point and could suddenly afford serious gear. 

I still have and use my 788T and 416. Both a couple of the best investments I've ever made. 

My first equipment was a Zoom H5 and a AT897 with a boompole and headphones. 

I used it for several short films and some months ago I decided to jump up and try to get more professional jobs so I invested in some second hand equipment:

Sound Devices 744T ($1500), Sound Devices 442 ($600), Sennheiser MKH 60 ($700) and AT4053b for dialogs ($350), K-TEK Boompole ($100), Sennheiser G3 2 Lavs Kit.

My next purchase probably will be a better mic for dialogs (MKH50 or Shoeps CMC641) and maybe a SD633/SD644.

I have the opportunity to upgrade the recorder to a 788T or SD644, but I'm too lost right now... I'm not using that many channels, maybe a new SD633 fits better for me, but I don't want to lose the oportunity. Any advice?

A Nagra IV-L recorder with a Sennheiser 805 shotgun and Beyer DT48 headset.

For documentary and industrial situations, that rig was sufficient 90% of the time and I learned about microphone placement by hand-holding the shotgun and listening to how the sound changed as I moved it about. (Of course, filming was single camera)

David

First kit purchased in 1985: Nagra 4.2, Sennheiser 416 in a Rycote basket, Beyer DT48.

First kit operated - 1977, ABC Brisbane, Australia:  Nagra 4.2, Sennheiser 815 & 2 x 415, Rycote baskets, EV 667, a couple of really big Sennheiser lavaliers and DT48's

In 1990 I bought my first kit: a MKH 50, MS system with MKH 30 + MKH 40, Rycote windshields, a wireless Sennheiser SK2012 /EK 2012 with MKE2, a SQN IV-S for ENG and a second-hand Nagra IV-S of 1978 for filmwork . After a few years, I replaced the SK 2012 by two VHF Audio Ltd 2000 systems. I still own the Nagra that is working perfectly.... but it's now a piece of my personal museum.

I started out in corporate and news videos where the people who had hired me supplied the equipment. As I learned about what other high end soundies were using, I would try to get some of what they were using. My first buy was a MHK-50 along with a 9 ft. VDB pole. My first mixer was a Shure 32a. First wireless was a Lectrosonic 201, block 26. My first blimp I won at the first RAMPS party in Vegas I went to, made by K-tek. The years have gone by quickly, but I have never regretted any equipment I have bought. I always wanted to have the stuff that people coming to town were use to using. It took almost 15 years to build my kit as I like it now and I look forward to add to my kit with a few more things. Have fun with your job.

Scott......

I went all in. Over a period of about a year or so, I picked up a few bits and put a skeleton of cart together, anticipating moving up. I bought a couple of used 50s and a DV824 (which I was renting to a multi-track show. The mixer I was working for was on 2x744T, and the DV824 fit the show better). 

When the time came, I bought a Mackie 1402 which I modified for 12v and tone and slate mic and PL with external module. I bought a 744T to go along with DV824. 6 SMs, Venue, some used MKE2s, 2 new COS11s, 3x411 (used) and 302 for portable stuff, pair of 416s, 10 PR72b with one BST50 for PL and a portable for clients. Boom poles, Rycotes, PSC CartPower and PoweStation, follow cart, etc. 

Probably spend $50-60k pretty quickly. This was 2005 or so. Everything was used except recorders, SMs and Venue (new product to the market), XLR cables, and new 416s which had come back on the market after being discontinued briefly.

I knew I was very lucky to have a lot of support for 2nd units and small movies, and wanted to be fully equipped. I knew I'd be meeting new boom ops and utilities and UPMs, etc. Wanted to look the part :-) Didn't want everything to look muddled together. 

imagejpeg

Still have the same cart. 

imagejpeg

When I was laid off from my news gig in 2011, after nearly 30 yrs, I decided to go freelance and back to my roots ( motion picture sound recordist) I purchased a used 302 with portabrace case, used 8'6' k tek boom pole, used Pelican case ( from wtb/wts JW Sound)... new Sony 7506 Headphones, my original MKH 416 from my news days and cables and hand mics and Sony ECM 77s from my days in news....all in $1100 !

Still use the kit...all run on AAs' ...Ive added sony wireless to the kit

1987 I think - Sony Pro Walkman

1992 at a guess - Sennheiser ME 40 and ME 80

1997 - Nagra IV-S

The item I 'desired' for the longest time (at least a decade) before I finally got one and could forego the DIY - a proper Rycote windshield and windjammer.

I still have them all in excellent working order, Sony Pro repaired once in the nineties.

Jez

Early 80's got a package deal..Nagra IV-L....Sennheiser 415T with no rycote...Sennheiser 815T with a rycote...Beyer DT48 headphones and 3 Sony ECM 50  hardwire lavs and a bloop slate and a QM preamp for the Nagra that supplied 12T to one input of recorder...and a box of various XLR and Nagra Sync cables all for $3600.00.  Thought I'd died and gone to heaven!