Your first sound setup or kit ever

TommygunZA

On 5/11/2017 at 10:32 AM, Jemshaw said:

First kit bought from trading post ( a Melbourne institution ) 1986ish

a nagra ISlt , a beautiful crystal synch smaller and lighter  nagra. 

Some not terribly good nacamichi shotguns

some very large Sony lavs

cables and bag and heavy metal cases

learning on lots of no budget short film with friends. First proper job,  borrowed a 416t and my father bought me a pair of HD 25

off to vanawatu and a fits and bursts career 

when everything went stereo a bit later I was lucky to find a stellvox AMI 48 at a gov sale (I don't think they knew what it was) best $100 ever spent , jobs with this bought me a Cooper 105 mixer and radios.

(I still like to look at the AMI 48)

Yep the Canberra government used a heap of AMI 48

Beautiful mono mixer but modular build

Now they uses Sonosax

Nice post

mike

16 hours ago, mikewest said:

Yep the Canberra government used a heap of AMI 48

Beautiful mono mixer but modular build

Now they uses Sonosax

Nice post

mike

Thanks mike

Mine was two channel and yes good luck finding replacement modules! good thing they were very reliable , mine is still in great working condition. The DIN phones and bannana jack outputs added to the male XLR inputs made for a lot of adaptors. The funny thing was for operating with its own power supply it had hum. On batteries for location sound beautifully quiet. I had one director who used to recommend me because he loved the look of it!

Great to hear mention of the AMI 48. I recently had my old one overhauled by J.P. Gurtner in Switzerland. I am so pleased with it. Jemshaw, are you referring to the AMI 48 being 2 channels? 

Gurtner also built a new power supply/charger (APS15) for it and it now operates without hum.

Mr West your $100 purchase was extraordinary!

5 hours ago, MarkC said:

Great to hear mention of the AMI 48. I recently had my old one overhauled by J.P. Gurtner in Switzerland. I am so pleased with it. Jemshaw, are you referring to the AMI 48 being 2 channels? 

Gurtner also built a new power supply/charger (APS15) for it and it now operates without hum.

Mr West your $100 purchase was extraordinary!

I thought Stellavox AMI48s were all two channels?, L and R  vu monitoring. I have some reviews from the seventies that said even when new they hummed with power supply pretty odd for a very expensive item. (and it was my purchase ) (my first 3 posts are all nostalgic , I must do better)

In the olden days I bought a Nagra 4.2 with low hours with a couple of dynamic pics, cable, shipping case for $3200.  Then three Scheops of the Collette variety and an Audio Ltd.  dual receiver two transmitter VHF wireless.  Still got the 4.2 and Scheops.  Those were the days.

Oh, and an SQN3-M.  Sweet!

On April 12, 2017 at 2:51 PM, David Waelder said:

A Nagra IV-L recorder with a Sennheiser 805 shotgun and Beyer DT48 headset.

For documentary and industrial situations, that rig was sufficient 90% of the time and I learned about microphone placement by hand-holding the shotgun and listening to how the sound changed as I moved it about. (Of course, filming was single camera)

David

Right you are regarding placement.  An inch or so either way can make a huge difference.

First package early 80's was a 4.2 and IV-L for backup, Sela mixer, 415 T power, Schoeps w 41, 815 T power, Nady wireless and 4 Comteks and various sundry bits.  

On 5/14/2017 at 11:33 PM, John Blankenship said:

No, not the 4062, it's seldom a good choice for our work.  The 4062 is a super low sensitivity version and is only suitable for dialog if you're wiring a screamer.

You're probably thinking of the 4061 and 4063 (they're the same sensitivity; the 4063 is a low voltage version) and are suitable for dialog, as are the 4060 that you use.

Yes!  Thank you for correcting me.  For my use I found the higher sensitivity of the 4060 great and so far have not been able to overload it.

On 5/17/2017 at 0:09 AM, Jemshaw said:

I thought Stellavox AMI48s were all two channels?, L and R  vu monitoring. I have some reviews from the seventies that said even when new they hummed with power supply pretty odd for a very expensive item. (and it was my purchase ) (my first 3 posts are all nostalgic , I must do better)

Yes, I read some reviews on http://www.americanradiohistory.com/ which noted this hum too. 

• 4 weeks later...

SInce I'm a filmmaker rather than a soundie, my list will be a bit different. Made my first feature in 2000 using a Sony C-76 shotgun and ECM-50 lavalier. Around 2006 got an AT 4053A and 4073A, along with two Sennheiser G2 wireless with Countryman B3 mics and an Oktava MK-012 for boom mic #2. A few months ago, decided to go with pro sound crew rather than students and got them the mic I thought they would want, an MKH50. They preferred their own Sanken CS3E, so the MKH goes up for sale. We are recording into a Zoom F8, using a Mixpre as preamp. 

My first sound kit that I bought with my own money was a SD mix pre d, a tascam dr-680 ( I started with a borrowed dr-100), a sennheiser g2 with sanken cos 11, rode boom and blimp with a sanken cs-1. All in a kortwich bag. I used to power this kit with a borrowed v-lock battery, with the proper connections. The battery was heavier than the rest of the kit but it would last more than a week.

Here is a pic:

4ce52f18cec3967cd923ffa869e127b9.png

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

• 6 months later...

Still on my first kit but about to do my first major upgrade (thanks to Dave Fisk for getting me set up with a good chunk of this!):

• Zoom F4
  • Zoom H5
  • Rode NTG3 and Rode Blimp
  • Rode Stereo VideoMic X
  • Audix SCX1-HC
  • 2x Rode FilmMaker
  • 2x Tram TR50
  • DPA 4060 Stereo Pair
  • K-Tek KE79CC
  • Senal SMH-1000
  • Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro
  • Orca OR-28

I originally got this kit set up for solo filmmaking purposes, but I've discovered a huge interest in field recording out of that and I'm about to invest in an upgrade oriented towards that:

• SD MixPre-6
  • Sony PCM-D100
  • MKH 30/MKH 8040 M-S in a Rycote Stereo Cyclone
  • Ambient QXS 550 cabled for stereo
  • MKH 8050
  • MKH 8060
  • Barcus Berry Planar Wave 4000

I'm looking forward to hopefully participating here not so much as a solo filmmaker but as someone more dedicated to the field of sound soon!