Recomended gear for film.

manuelchk

Hello guys, this is my first post so feel free to delete it if it's too repetitive topic.

Ok, here is my question:

What do you think would be the best setup for recording small and medium film proyects?

Currently I do have the next setup:

Sound Devices 744T, Sound Devices 442 Mixer, Sennheiser MKH60 Shotgun Mic, Audio-Technica AT4053B, Audio-Technica AT897, Sennheiser ew 100 ENG G3 Dual Wireless Basic Kit (3 Lavs), K-Tek Boom Pole, ATH-M50x Headphones, Rode Blimp Windshield.

After read a lot, the options I have in mind to improve the kit are:

1) Buy the SD788T w/ CL8 second hand ($3600)

2) Buy the SD644 second hand ($3500)

3) Buy the SD633 new

4) Buy a better interior mic such as Shoeps CMC641 or MKH50

5) Improve wireless system trying to get some Lectrosonics... (super expensive).

6) Buy smart slate, lockit box, comteks...

Am I too wrong? What would YOU do?

I would like to have a strong setup up for film, that's my priority, but also some flexibility if i get a job for TV.

All the best,

First things first - are you getting any jobs that pay you money?  It's a big mistake to buy gear before you get jobs.

Yes I'm getting paid jobs, students and indie projects for now.

But not "well" paid ones yet.

You don't think I could get better jobs with a little more equipment?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my experience better jobs come with better credits and contacts, not with better gear. But I'm working in niche markets so it might be different where you're at. 

That said. Out of your kit I'd first pick better lav mics (while the G3 radios aren't great, I feel the biggest constraint is the stock mics, replacing those with DPA or something will see an improvement), smart slate + sync box(es) and a good indoor mic.

Do you have a rental source for comteks and other situational gubbins? How's your situation with sound blankets and stands and miscellaneous? 

2 hours ago, manuelchk said:

You don't think I could get better jobs with a little more equipment?

How many potential clients have passed you over because of gear you don't have or couldn't rent?

In the final analysis, no one can determine what you need to serve your clients, but you.  But, be aware, people won't flock to you just because you have a certain piece of gear.  They'll call you because they think you're an experienced pro who can do the job.

If you want to move up in this industry, getting experience is much more important than getting gear.  When you need it -- you'll know it -- and at that point you'll also know what you need -- and then you can choose to either buy it or rent it.

In my experience better jobs come with better credits and contacts, not with better gear. But I'm working in niche markets so it might be different where you're at. 
That said. Out of your kit I'd first pick better lav mics (while the G3 radios aren't great, I feel the biggest constraint is the stock mics, replacing those with DPA or something will see an improvement), smart slate + sync box(es) and a good indoor mic.
Do you have a rental source for comteks and other situational gubbins? How's your situation with sound blankets and stands and miscellaneous? 

Thanks so much, I agree with you, maybe start with better lavs, smart slate, sync box and a good indoor mic, also I don't have blankets...

If you want to move up in this industry, getting experience is much more important than getting gear.  When you need it -- you'll know it -- and at that point you'll also know what you need -- and then you can choose to either buy it or rent it.

You made a huge point here... you're right! I will know it, but asking I will learn faster :)

Thanks man.