SD 633 or 664

Yullover

Hi folk!!!

Long time didn't came here!!! but now in process of updating/upgrading my work bag... I still have my old SD302 but now i want to be up to date with multi-track recording.

So my question is : I have the opportunity to have a used SD664 for the same price as a new SD633, but i can't decide which one to choose. All my Wireless are Senheisser G3/2000 so i don't know if it will work well in the line level of the SD633?

My hesitation are the weight and size of the two mixer, the new technology inside the SD633 vs the SD664, the number of tracks available, the futur expension possible...I'm uncertain.

What's your PROS/CONS for helping me with this choice :huh:

P.S. --- And still hesitate to switch to Zaxcom too? worth it? I never try Zaxcom mixer before. (The 2 output/timecode cam-op it's so cool)

Thank you in advance for you opinion

Really depends on what you see yourself doing and needing in the future. If you want reduced size and weight go for a 633. If you think you will need more go for a 664.  Only you can decide. As for zaxcom or sound devices once again you really have to research and make the decision yourself. There really is no easy answers. 

Yup only you can decide what you need. If you think you will need more than the 6 ISO tracks that the 633 can do, then go for the 664. If you never or rarely need more than 6 tracks then go for the 633. 

The 633 is more flexible, more upgradable (as the recent addition of auto mixing shows), and records at higher sample rates (the 664 maxes out at 48K). But the 664 can handle more tracks. 

-Mike

I'm in the same position as you, but I've added another player into the game: The SD788T w / CL8.

I already have the SD744T + SD 442 combo and I'm tempted to upgrade it:

Option 1: SD 664 ($ 3000 second hand) Pros: More imputs and tracks so I can work on bigger projects, only one machine in my bag, better display and menus, easier to re-sell, really nice analog pre-amps. CONS: Noisier than the 744T, only 48Khz.

Option 2: SD 633 ($ 3300 new). Pros: Super small and compact for 6 channels max. Projects (all my jobs for now), more options menus etc, will not sell it in case I get bigger projects (could be the best back up machine ever). CONS: Only 3 imputs with analog pre-amps, not sure if works fine with Sennheiser G3..., noisier than the 744T, only 3 faders ...

Option 3: SD 788T w / CL-8 ($3500 second hand). I've heard this is the best recorder because it's a dedicated recorder, but nobody says how much better it is, and everybody is selling their 788T online and nobody is selling their 633 or 664 ... PROS: Best noise level, better meters for (S), better than pre-amps (not sure), SSD, CL-8 has 8 faders, up to 192KHz, Better TC than 633. Cons: bad menu system, power consumption, 664 (with the CL8), If only need 4 tracks maybe it's better the 744T / 442 combo and much cheaper.

As you can see I have no idea whats better, because IF you do not need the channels for now the way to go it's SD633 ... BUT IF next week you need the channels for a job you will kill yourself for buying it...

I think the question would be: Which is a better machine for recording BETTER sound and easier on set, FOR 6 channels maximum? 633, 664 or 788?

1 hour ago, manuelchk said:

CONS: Only 3 imputs with analog pre-amps, not sure if works fine with Sennheiser G3..., noisier than the 744T, only 3 faders ...

I have worked with Sennheiser G3 and Sound Devices 633, inputs 4 to 6 with line level, DPA 4071. It's just fine. Upgrade your wireless system and lavalier microphones, if you want more quality in terms of technology. Otherwise, best sound is something different.

On 18/4/2017 at 1:26 PM, drpro said:

You might want to wait till after NAB

So with the new products we are still in the same dilema haha. The new mixPre recorders will fill other needs that the ones discussed here, unless there is a new version of the 744/788 recorders coming out soon...

Best.

Yeah as now the 788T / CL-8 + MixPre 6 is a tempting big/small combo you could choose. Then you have options to match bigger/smaller projects.

How do you see the 788T/CL-8 doing a combo with the new Mixpre6? Forgive my inexperience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you guy's, i will definitly wait after the NAB... but as i think of my need... more and more the SD633 in making my need, and the digital side make that will have more evolution in the time ... i hope!

As far, the new mixpre6 is not a field mixer as i really want, not sure is enough fast to ajust gain in the live recording field.

11 hours ago, manuelchk said:

How do you see the 788T/CL-8 doing a combo with the new Mixpre6? Forgive my inexperience.

10 hours ago, Constantin said:

I believe it's an either/or situation. Use each one as needed

Exactly! Use the 788T when it is justified, and have the MixPre6 for the smaller jobs (and also as a back up to your 788T in a worst case scenario when things go to sh*t).

But it depends entirely on the mix of jobs you're doing, if a 633 fits 95% of what you're doing then absolutely go for that.