Sennheiser EK-6042: Two-channel slot-in receiver

manuelchk

What do you think about this? I think Sennheiser wants to retain their G3 customers preventing them to migrate to Zaxcom or Lectrosonics.

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/2-channel-receiver-wireless-microphone-ek-6042

EK 6042: Two-channel slot-in receiver. Can connect to virtually every Sennheiser wireless system – be it analog or digital. Switching bandwidth of 184 MHz and built in convenient functions for a fully automated setup.

Also a NAB 2017 news about the Sound Devices 633 makes me think this company is not launching nothing else that a firmware upgrade... very sad...

SOUND DEVICES’ 633 mixer/recorder now offers Dugan automixing and Sound Devices MixAssist at no additional cost with the release of firmware v4.50, also adding SuperSlot integration with Sennheiser EK-6042 wireless, two-channel slot-in receivers.

http://www.tvtechnology.com/resources/0006/nab-show-product-preview-audio/280600

"What do you think about this? I think Sennheiser wants to retain their G3 customers preventing them to migrate to Zaxcom or Lectrosonics.

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/2-channel-receiver-wireless-microphone-ek-6042"

I think the Sennheiser receiver is pretty amazing and quite an engineering accomplishment with support for every transmitter they make, both analog and digital. It is very expensive and is only useful, obviously, to those who are already into Sennheiser stuff, but it is doubtful that your typical G3, G4 user will be able to justify this purchase. For me, if I were going to go with Sennheiser wireless I would only be interested in their digital transmitters that are grossly over-priced and do not deliver on many key features and functions of my current digital wireless. I think the 9000 series transmitters are about $2700. each --- pretty steep.

That Sennheiser RX is pretty expensive. I'd guess it's aimed at the ENG market...perhaps Sennheiser's a popular option for news cameras in Europe or somewhere?

The 633 firmware that supports the two automix technologies was released a couple months ago. Seems pretty cool, but I don't think it means Sound Devices (or Video Devices) won't announce anything new. Maybe they (and probably other companies covered in that article) want to surprise everyone at the show.

I guess we'll know in less than a week.

37 minutes ago, Jim Feeley said:

Maybe they (and probably other companies covered in that article) want to surprise everyone at the show.

I guess we'll know in less than a week.

I hope so, if not maybe it's time for me to start thinking on Zaxcom products...

I hope so, if not maybe it's time for me to start thinking on Zaxcom products...

Because they may not release anything new this time?

You should think about Zaxcom and others anyway, before making an informed decision.

Btw both the Ek6042 and the SD firmware are not new

1 hour ago, John Blankenship said:

It sounds like your main purchasing criterion is to buy something that is recently released.

Not really, but I would love to see something new from my favorite brand... I'm waiting to upgrade my equipment after Nab2017.

8 hours ago, manuelchk said:

What do you think about this? I think Sennheiser wants to retain their G3 customers preventing them to migrate to Zaxcom or Lectrosonics.

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/2-channel-receiver-wireless-microphone-ek-6042

EK 6042: Two-channel slot-in receiver. Can connect to virtually every Sennheiser wireless system – be it analog or digital. Switching bandwidth of 184 MHz and built in convenient functions for a fully automated setup.

Also a NAB 2017 news about the Sound Devices 633 makes me think this company is not launching nothing else that a firmware upgrade... very sad...

SOUND DEVICES’ 633 mixer/recorder now offers Dugan automixing and Sound Devices MixAssist at no additional cost with the release of firmware v4.50, also adding SuperSlot integration with Sennheiser EK-6042 wireless, two-channel slot-in receivers.

http://www.tvtechnology.com/resources/0006/nab-show-product-preview-audio/280600

I think Audio Ltd's 1010 digital radio mic system (with TX recorder*) and now with slot-in dual RX and 100mhz switching BW would be a very interesting option for EU based operators looking to spend this kind of money. In terms of versatility you'd have put the Wisycom RX into the mix because it can be used various brands of TX. Also I don't get the impression Sennheiser is chasing after anyone else's products, concepts or sales. When you look at the quality of the systems and how long they support them I think Sennheiser is all about long term strategies and bigger markets than this 1. Eg. G3, 2000, 3000, 5000, 6000, 9000 series (and they have more wireless still and ALL there other stuff!). 

10 hours ago, Jim Feeley said:

That Sennheiser RX is pretty expensive. I'd guess it's aimed at the ENG market...perhaps Sennheiser's a popular option for news cameras in Europe or somewhere?

Yes, there are thousands of 2000 / 3000 / 5000 and EW SK's and SKM's around, looking for a modern receiver. Tried it out. The EK 6042 does emulate those companders perfectly - even vintage transmitters like the SK50 (still in service) sound better than ever. Very good filters, quick button response, still not enough AF output level for use on LINE inputs though.

That programming tool works with internet browser, while the EK is connected and powered via USB to the computer. Ideal to service a big number of EK's.

• 3 years later...