Sound Devices Mix Pre-3 and Mix Pre-6

afewmoreyears

6 minutes ago, Christian Spaeth said:

Looks like in order to get to the card you have to take out the batteries?

Yeah that is the way it seems

2 hours ago, jon_tatooles said:

This should give you a scale perspective...if you know how big my hands are... MixPre-3 and 633 shown.

mixpre3-633.jpg

2 hours ago, chrismedr said:

this page clears up a lot of questions:

https://www.sounddevices.com/products/recorders/mixpre-3/feature-comparison

it says:

TIMECODE: Reader Time of Day, HDMI or LTC via Aux In

so hook up a tentacle to the 3.5" and there's your timecode.

other notable info from that page that got lost in the announcement:

- low cut goes as low as 40Hz

- the MixPre-6 up to 192hz (MixPre-3 to 96khz)

- input delay on MixPre-6

looks like a lovely unit, most likely going to get one if the price is right : )
chris

size is also on the comparison page (and also on the individual spec sheets which are online now)

Thanks guys!

Love the size of this!

-Mike

Just now, Johnny Karlsson said:

Yes. As soon as any new product comes out - all other products stop functioning, and become obsolete paper weights.

Obviously that's what I meant. The endless sarcasm on this forum brings me so much joy. My comment was intended as a question toward future resale value of 302s. Who would buy a 302 when they could buy this?

11 minutes ago, Stephen Murdoch said:

Obviously that's what I meant. The endless sarcasm on this forum brings me so much joy. My comment was intended as a question toward future resale value of 302s. Who would buy a 302 when they could buy this?

I always wanted a 302, but the price here in europe is rather high (even used ones) considering I would seldom use it. So yes, the resale value probably dropped - at least in my case. I thought about buying a 302 used 800EUR before (which proved impossible to find), now I'd probably only consider it for sub 500EUR. 

Still the design and handling of the 302 appeals more to me then the MixPre-3 (at least from what I can tell without a hands-on on the new unit)

I apologize if my sense of humor does not please you. I would say that these are not at all the same as a 302. FWIW, I tried to sell my 302 for 6 months last year, no takers, so I decided to keep it. It will come in handy when you least expect it. And for me personally, it already has, despite the fact that I also have both the 633 and 664.

25 minutes ago, Stephen Murdoch said:

The 302 will stay around for a while, just as ENG teams still use their SQN3s for simple stuff. As long as there will be cameras that record sound more or less professionally. I'm not sure how intuitive the new MixPres are, but it's almost impossible that they will be as self-explanatory and straight on as a purely analog mixer like the 302. The two don't really compare at all. 

Question for Nic since the manual isn't available yet. I noticed in the published specs that channel linking is available for channels 1-2, 3-4 and 5-6. I'd like to dedicate a MixPre 6 to my AMBEO and would need channels 1-4 to be linkable to one fader. Is that possible in the current software? 

2 hours ago, Constantin said:

They look really great. Might get one just for the hell of it...
no, not really, but as a backup?
Not too thrilled about the combo inputs, but anyway.

Most importantly for me: this appears to be SD's big announcement for this year's NAB. So it seems to me like a larger 788T update sadly is not around the corner

Pardon my ignorance, but what are the downsides of having a combo input?

I know it doesn't necessarily matter if the sound quality is there, but does anyone else think that this looks sort of like a toy? I have always loved the rugged look and feel of Sound Devices products (I have a 744t that I adore), but this looks like a step in another direction. Maybe it is trying to be less intimidating for more inexperienced users?

6 minutes ago, josephboyle said:

Maybe it is trying to be less intimidating for more inexperienced users?

or maybe it's trying to hit a 650USD price point rather then a 4000+? ; )
(that said, I prefer the look of the 744T or 302 as well)

as a side note, I just checked the price on a 744T here in europe, the online audio shops now list them at 6500EUR+ - ouch.

5 minutes ago, chrismedr said:

or maybe it's trying to hit a 650USD price point rather then a 4000+? ; )
(that said, I prefer the look of the 744T or 302 as well)

as a fun note, I just checked the price on a 744T here in europe, the online audio shops now list them at 6500EUR+ - ouch.

The 744T is discontinued so it's now an antique and sells for more. 

10 minutes ago, chrismedr said:

seems like it, as it mentions:

Input Pair Linking (Stereo and M/S)	Pairs 1-2, 3-4, 5-6

on the MixPre-6 (and Pair 1-2 on the MixPre-3) 

Thanks Chris I just saw that. A lot to like about these little machines at the price point I think...

16 minutes ago, Seph said:

Question for Nic since the manual isn't available yet. I noticed in the published specs that channel linking is available for channels 1-2, 3-4 and 5-6. I'd like to dedicate a MixPre 6 to my AMBEO and would need channels 1-4 to be linkable to one fader. Is that possible in the current software? 

The manual is now online on the SD website. 

-Mike

4 hours ago, Mobilemike said:

True! Specs look good! 

Do any of our esteemed dealers know the actual size of the two units? It doesn't look like the -6 is that much physically larger than the -3 (which would be great). 

-Mike

Here are the dimensions:
MixPre-6
6.53” x 4.65” x 1.40” (166mm x 118mm x 36mm)
19.9 oz (.56 kg)

MixPre-3
5.68” x 4.35” x 1.40” (144mm x 110mm x 36mm)
16.8 oz (.48 kg)

I'm taking pre-orders now. I'm also looking into appropriate bag options. 

I just preordered one through Trew. But after reading the manual on the SD site I'm a little concerned (perhaps needlessly so). It appears that you cannot set the trims as one would normally expect, and your "gain" control simply is a send level to the internal mix bus. Others have already mentioned this in the thread. What I'm concerned about is how a situation where I'm recording super loud things like guns will work. Looking at it right now, I'm not sure how this would be done optimally. If I like the sound of the limiters, I want to be able to hit them and find a sweet spot. I'm not sure I like the idea of the recorder adjusting automatically to a loud input. Is there any early Intel on how a situation like this would work? Might be too early, of course, to know. Thanks in advance.

DR-701D has HDMI through as well as In.

In fact the HDMI Consortium specifically forbid us from doing a HDMI-in only product, that was our plan with the DR-70D   They were actually rather insistent that we not do that.  paraphrased "HDMI is a video format first"

1 hour ago, Peshawar said:

I just preordered one through Trew. But after reading the manual on the SD site I'm a little concerned (perhaps needlessly so). It appears that you cannot set the trims as one would normally expect, and your "gain" control simply is a send level to the internal mix bus. Others have already mentioned this in the thread. What I'm concerned about is how a situation where I'm recording super loud things like guns will work. Looking at it right now, I'm not sure how this would be done optimally. If I like the sound of the limiters, I want to be able to hit them and find a sweet spot. I'm not sure I like the idea of the recorder adjusting automatically to a loud input. Is there any early Intel on how a situation like this would work? Might be too early, of course, to know. Thanks in advance.

My impression from reading the manual was that, yes the pots default to volume to the mix bus and not gain, and there is no gain control in "Basic" mode. 

In "Advanced" mode however, there seems to be gain adjustment as normal, along with limiter control. 

I would also be curious if there was a quick way to set the pots to "gain" mode, or a way to change that to be the default if I want to ride the gain going to my ISO's. 

-Mike