Sound Devices Mix Pre-3 and Mix Pre-6

afewmoreyears

1 hour ago, afewmoreyears said:

Am I missing something here...? You must use the selector knob to scroll down PAST the current days folder and files... The older folders and files ARE there... At least on my Mix3

Oh phew, glad to hear that! (was half wondering from the other comments if you didn't have control over folder structures) But what about my other questions, can the MixPre3/6 do that?

These things:

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Makes me wonder, does it also have the ability to name tracks? What fine level control does it have over file naming? Can notes be added to the metadata both before and after a recording?

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Makes me wonder, does it also have the ability to name tracks? What fine level control does it have over file naming? Can notes be added to the metadata both before and after a recording?

Yes you can. It's a little kludgy to do this on the MixPre itself but wayy easier with the wingman app. With Wingman you can very easily name tracks, rename files after recording, and add metadata both before and after a recording. 

19 minutes ago, afewmoreyears said:

Notes, I don't think so... but you can name the file ... track I don't think so...  I see no way to access that...and I didn't read it in the manual..

You can name tracks before recording by tapping on the channel name in the channel setup screen (the screen that lets you adjust gain, panning, linking, etc). 

After recording you can navigate to the file and tap "Edit" and then you have options to edit the recording name, add notes, or add or rename the tracks right there on the MixPre as well. 

It works fine on the unit but it's a lot of little screens to navigate - like I said this is all way easier to do with the wingman app. 

-Mike

7 hours ago, afewmoreyears said:

I just recorded to 3 test folders with different names... recorded 3 files to each.... If you to project menu and hit open NOT new... All the 3 folders are there and yes, you can select the file and play it.. or... select the file and trash or rename or...

Am I missing something here...? You must use the selector knob to scroll down PAST the current days folder and files... The older folders and files ARE there... At least on my Mix3

heeeyyyyyyy! Well there you go!! Thanks for pointing that out. As I didn't create a project I didn't consider looking in there for the previous days non-project, automatically made daily folders.

5 hours ago, Athomson said:

heeeyyyyyyy! Well there you go!! Thanks for pointing that out. As I didn't create a project I didn't consider looking in there for the previous days non-project, automatically made daily folders.

Re the last few comments - I actually see this as a fairly 'high end' recorder for musicians and nature recordists etc rather than a cheapo production recorder so would have been quite upset had the navigation thing been an issue ... which of course I'm glad it isn't! I'll just add that in the nature recording stakes I have been on extended trips without hauling a laptop around with me and often having to sit on several days or longer of recordings before having any opportunity to back up -  I looked at getting one of the early hard drives with CF slots for direct backup that news photographers used but never did in the end. Just saying, even with a pocketful of spare cards I would also have been looking for a firmware update pronto - happy to hear this was good ol' user error tho'!

J

As far as the Wingman set up for the MixPre3, it's lure to me is the tiny and easy size and quick deployment.. With the wingman, it's just another item to have in your hands or bag... but to each their own...  I will probably quickly voice slate whats on what track... easy enough.. If this can be done per above... good option too..

Hi all,

I'm a long-time reader, and first-time poster here. I have a burning question about something relating to this new MixPre series, and I was hoping someone can shed some light on this.

I am on the verge of purchasing a 633 unit, and I noticed that Sound Devices had very recently announced this MixPre series which feature new "Kashmir" preamps. My question is, are these in direct competition with existing preamps in its other higher-end products, that is, it's a better technology in some way, where potentially 6-series devices might be updated with a "higher-end" version of them soon, too?

I ask because I wonder if I should hold off on the 633 if this is a possibility, seeing as, on paper at least, the noise floor is -130dBV for the new MixPres as compared to -126 dBu. Not comparing apples to oranges, of course; just questioning the preamps themselves. I presume that the 633 still has a long life-cycle ahead, but it is a curiosity nonetheless. I am still very new to sound, so pardon my ignorance if any should show. Thanks for your patience.

6 hours ago, dkm said:

Hi all,

I'm a long-time reader, and first-time poster here. I have a burning question about something relating to this new MixPre series, and I was hoping someone can shed some light on this.

I am on the verge of purchasing a 633 unit, and I noticed that Sound Devices had very recently announced this MixPre series which feature new "Kashmir" preamps. My question is, are these in direct competition with existing preamps in its other higher-end products, that is, it's a better technology in some way, where potentially 6-series devices might be updated with a "higher-end" version of them soon, too?

I ask because I wonder if I should hold off on the 633 if this is a possibility, seeing as, on paper at least, the noise floor is -130dBV for the new MixPres as compared to -126 dBu. Not comparing apples to oranges, of course; just questioning the preamps themselves. I presume that the 633 still has a long life-cycle ahead, but it is a curiosity nonetheless. I am still very new to sound, so pardon my ignorance if any should show. Thanks for your patience.

I would guess the only folks who could shed such light would be Sound Devices themselves ...

Apples to oranges, maybe not - but tangerines to satsumas quite possibly. I can't really see a choice between a MixPre 6 and a 633 based on the preamp (rather than outputs and all sorts of other features). Maybe if you're just interested in the preamps and the noise floor (and have a 633 area budget) an R4+ might be an option (... is the euro version for sale in Canada?) ... but to go back to the SD products, I would ask them if you're really expecting 'Kashmirs' to be fitted to future 6 series, otherwise just get the unit that suits your purposes best.

I haven't heard anything so far to make me think there is a huge difference between Kashmir and the Karakoram we've been using the last few years ...

Jez

hi dkm,

I haven't tested the MP-3/6 myself yet, but basically at this quality level the differences in noise floor etc are pretty slim and unless you're doing expensive top level projects it really doesn't matter anymore. I doubt there are a lot of people out there who can reliably tell the difference in sound quality between a MP-3/6 and a 633 in a blind test (I know I can't), and usually the one where the mic was 10cm closer will sound better. So in the end it's more about feature set, benefits in daily use, operating the device, workflow etc.

Concerning your question about an updated 633 nobody knows (or rather the few who do won't tell). Eventually they will update the machine, but probably the focus will be more on features (more preamps? more channels?) since sound quality has reached a point where it is really not a big issue for location sound anymore (if you're doing high-end classical recording it is probably a different matter).

so if the 633 fits your needs and you have work ahead, go for it, it's a very nice machine. 

chris

12 hours ago, dkm said:

on paper at least, the noise floor is -130dBV for the new MixPres as compared to -126 dBu

Hi dkm,

I agree with Chris that, even if all else was equal in the preamps, the EIN differences would be all but indistinguishable, not least since, if you remove the mix of dBV and dBu the two are more obviously closer in spec: the Mixpre 3/6 specs are -128dBu and the 633 is -126 dBu, and the latter is not a reason to hold back on a 633.

Cheers,

Roland

36 minutes ago, Glen Deakin said:

If you need outputs get a 633. If you don't the get a MixPre 3/6

well, there are also differences in powering options, easy access to routing and trim/faders, timecode, dual cards etc...

so I'd say if all I need is a nice little multitrack recorder I'd go for the MP-3/6, if I'd need a full production machine I'd go for the 633

Thanks, everyone, for your informative and constructive responses!

As my first time out here in the forums, it was truly incredible to have received such insights from professionals, and so quickly too. I realize what a privilege it is to be a part of this esteemed community, and I'm thankful to have a chance to partake in it.

I think I will heed the advice and go for the 633 at this juncture. By all measure it is a wonderful machine, and I suppose if the need arises in the future, I can always upgrade to whatever Sound Devices cooks up in the near future. Onwards to this sound adventure!

There are some direct comparisons MP3/6 with 633.

For example this one http://theaudiospotlight.com/sound-devices-mixpre-6-review/ in a context of sound effects and ambiences gathering.

It seems that MP3/6 limiters have some really long release time, which is sometimes unusable for recording FXs with sharp attacks (like gunshots or hits) with touch of limiters engaging for sound shaping, like it was on 700 series. So, in such cases, you need to keep your levels below limiters threshold. But with ambiences the overall sound quality of preamps is near the same as 633, at least for me.

Here we have a comparison between MP3/6 with 633 in context of voiceover: 

To me, it seems that 633 have more color in lows, but its so subtle, that i don't think its a deal breaker. Overall both machines have really great and clean sound.

Just picked up a Mix Pre 6 for my "toy" camera, a Canon 1DC. Love small footprint filmmaking, especially if you haul the gear on your back. Mix Pre-6 really solves the audio/timecode conundrum for DSLR's. Though SD doesn't specify the 1DC as being compatible with the Mix Pre 6, I can report that the timecode is read via HDMI but the record triggers don't work accurately (expected outcome). My 3 design complaints are:

1. The HDMI input and stereo output aren't on the same side of the Mix Pre 6. On the majority of cameras this will be used with, the two compatible ports will be right next to each other. Had they been next to each other on the MP6 it would've made for clean cabling. 

2. Speaking of cabling, wish the 1/8" inputs and outputs had threaded connectors similar to the mix pre-d. 

3. For mounting options, I wish it had a 3/8" screw option. I know there's adapters and I might customize something. But this is targeted (amongst others) at a higher end DSLR shooter. A large portion of those camera people have cages and can mount gear to them. Those cages have 1/4-20 & 3/8" holes. The best, I've found, is the Arri 3/8" with registration pins. Ideally the camera is as close to the tripod as possible and I find it better to mount the audio input to the cage rather than underneath the camera. Though I do find your current 1/4-20 to snugly hold to the cage. At times the Mix Pre D would move a bit under similar circumstances.

The other issue I see encountering (and I know this is specific to my style and not really a mix pre 6 issue) is that if you shoot handheld, you need a device like the Zacuto gratical to balance the camera rig and view your image. If those devices do not pass HDMI timecode through, then you've lost your timecode connection (at least via HDMI, which would be most accurate for camera timecode.)

That's it for now. A great thank you for this device. I own a 688 and a Mix Pre D, and neither are perfect for how I want to work. This one really slots into a sweet spot of weight vs. capability.

So after some testing, I can now reliably trigger record the Mix Pre-6 from both a Canon 1DC & a Canon C500. Sadly, it is not a direct connection. I will share specifics of the setup when I have time to go into greater detail. I know I mentioned the Gratical before, it doesn't work for this purpose. Wishing for several years that a manufacturer (SD/VD Hello) would make a 1080 EVF with built in proxy recorder, HDMI & SDI ins and outs, with cross conversion and full timecode capabilities (more important feature than proxy recording) via those outputs and inputs. Is that too much to ask?!? I know it's possible. The tech has been available for some time, just in different products from various manufacturers...and now, back to our regularly scheduled programming. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2017 at 9:54 PM, Athomson said:

Loving my mixpre 6 so far, seems churlish to ask for more, but i'm a little stumped by one of the choices that SD made. I guess Paul you are subscribed to this thread so maybe this is a place to ask for discussion on it?

I emailed SD asking if i'd missed the option to stereo link a pair of mics while using the faders to control the ISO levels. At the moment to use the faders to control ISOs the gain has to be set to basic mode and this then has the undesired effect of also removing the option to link a pair of mics to control gain simultaneously with one fader. Going individually into the menu to change the gain for each mic is unworkable on the fly so where I want to record with a stereo mic, a radio mic and a boom mic (real scenario), wanting just the ISOs to mix later, i'll use the custom with basic gain mode, but I cannot adjust the gain on the stereo mic on the go. The fader knobs are too small for accurately doing both together even if I had both hands free.

The reply I got from SD was "I can not guarantee or promise if and when this will be added to future firmware releases." which i guess is the standard reply but with no indication if they thought it was an issue worth looking at or if they would try to add it. In which case i could wait.

Paul can you say if it is something you're going to add? Ideally linking any channels in any modes but at least the 1-2, 3-4 which is available in advanced mode. Does anyone else want the same thing? Show of hands might help i guess.

I really liked the idea someone on here had of an additional mode. Advanced, Basic (mix) and Basic (ISO) modes. But it might actually prove simpler to do away with the different modes and just allow people to find the more advanced options when needed, further in the menus but have a simple set up as default with a clear option to reset settings. I can see the idea behind having a basic mode but i'm not sure it's simpler to understand different modes from the get go, rather than understanding different options as and when they are needed.

Other than that the only thing's i'd change would be to put out the light on the stop button. I lost the start of something already thinking the record button was lit. And when i'm wearing polarised sunglasses i can't see anything as the screen is 90 degrees wrong for my glasses, i thought it had died and i was panicking for a minute or two, checking connections and trying to restart it until i took off my sunglasses :-)  Not sure if that's all polarised glasses or just mine but maybe version 2 could bear that in mind if it was just bad luck to be 90 off for that.

Many thanks for a game changing product though, as i say i feel churlish to even raise these issues.

On 7/18/2017 at 11:55 AM, Paul Isaacs said:

Thanks a lot for your thoughts - they are understood. We have always valued customer feedback like this - there is no doubt it has helped us improve our products. Having said that, I can't add anything to the standard SD reply that you have already received. We don't talk about or promise anything unless it is real and available. 

Any update on the channel linking feature while using the faders to control the ISO levels? Quite annoying at the moment. Hopefully a firmware release will solve this soon...

Here's a question/request for Sound Devices: 

Is there any way to set or adjust the default frame rate the MixPre sets when it's in "Time Of Day" timecode mode? 

It seems like it sets itself to 30 fps and I don't see a way to change that. 

I realize this mode isn't for frame accurate timecode, but on little shoots like I did today where they're syncing with a clapper slate and plural eyes it works fine.  I know it doesn't actually matter or influence how the file is recorded at all since we aren't using timecode on the shoot; I'm just more worried about someone down the line seeing the "wrong" frame rate in the metadata and thinking that I screwed it up. 

I don't want to have picture editors freak out when/if they see in the metadata that the audio is at 30fps. Today, I ended up using Wave Agent to change the files to 23.976 afterwards which is an option, but the process takes awhile if there are a lot of files. 

Thanks!

-Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Whats everyone using for and AC power supply? Surely there is some option that's cheaper than the MX-Charge.

Im wondering if anyone has tried this combo:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Delivery-Charger-PowerPort-Samsung/dp/B06Y427WT7

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071XYBPMN

Same price as the MX-Charge but is a bit more universal.