afewmoreyears

Sound Devices Mix Pre-3 and Mix Pre-6

344 posts in this topic

Apologies. That does indeed sound weird. Let us know how you get on.

Jez

22 hours ago, JayKay said:

Could you connect nothing to the XLR-Inputs at all, turn up the gain on all channels all the way and turn the faders to unity. Then take a photo of the display, where I can see the levels of all tracks. 

My MixPre-3 seems to have a problem with extensive noise in channel 1 compared to channel 2 and 3. And when I do the test above, the level of channel 1 is quite a bit higher than channel 2 and 3. I want to know, if I´m the only one with this problem or do other MixPre-3 users experience this as well.

OK, have checked: my Mixpre-3 shows the same level of noise in each channel (each bobbing up and down from 1-3 steps/lines of pixels on the LCD - about 2-3mm max on the screen). And all drop to (equal) extremely low noise when plugging in a low self-noise mic (4.5dba). All entirely as expected.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Roland

38 minutes ago, Throwback said:

OK, have checked: my Mixpre-3 shows the same level of noise in each channel (each bobbing up and down from 1-3 steps/lines of pixels on the LCD - about 2-3mm max on the screen). And all drop to (equal) extremely low noise when plugging in a low self-noise mic (4.5dba). All entirely as expected.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Roland

Mine does the same. All equal on all 3 channels. 

-Mike

Loving my mixpre 6 so far, seems churlish to ask for more, but i'm a little stumped by one of the choices that SD made. I guess Paul you are subscribed to this thread so maybe this is a place to ask for discussion on it?

I emailed SD asking if i'd missed the option to stereo link a pair of mics while using the faders to control the ISO levels. At the moment to use the faders to control ISOs the gain has to be set to basic mode and this then has the undesired effect of also removing the option to link a pair of mics to control gain simultaneously with one fader. Going individually into the menu to change the gain for each mic is unworkable on the fly so where I want to record with a stereo mic, a radio mic and a boom mic (real scenario), wanting just the ISOs to mix later, i'll use the custom with basic gain mode, but I cannot adjust the gain on the stereo mic on the go. The fader knobs are too small for accurately doing both together even if I had both hands free.

The reply I got from SD was "I can not guarantee or promise if and when this will be added to future firmware releases." which i guess is the standard reply but with no indication if they thought it was an issue worth looking at or if they would try to add it. In which case i could wait.

Paul can you say if it is something you're going to add? Ideally linking any channels in any modes but at least the 1-2, 3-4 which is available in advanced mode. Does anyone else want the same thing? Show of hands might help i guess.

I really liked the idea someone on here had of an additional mode. Advanced, Basic (mix) and Basic (ISO) modes. But it might actually prove simpler to do away with the different modes and just allow people to find the more advanced options when needed, further in the menus but have a simple set up as default with a clear option to reset settings. I can see the idea behind having a basic mode but i'm not sure it's simpler to understand different modes from the get go, rather than understanding different options as and when they are needed.

Other than that the only thing's i'd change would be to put out the light on the stop button. I lost the start of something already thinking the record button was lit. And when i'm wearing polarised sunglasses i can't see anything as the screen is 90 degrees wrong for my glasses, i thought it had died and i was panicking for a minute or two, checking connections and trying to restart it until i took off my sunglasses :-)  Not sure if that's all polarised glasses or just mine but maybe version 2 could bear that in mind if it was just bad luck to be 90 off for that.

Many thanks for a game changing product though, as i say i feel churlish to even raise these issues.

5 hours ago, Athomson said:

Many thanks for a game changing product though, as i say i feel churlish to even raise these issues.

Not at all- it seems a decent set of requests and thanks for the write up. Ganging for me is often a bugbear - there have a been a few spectacular and easy to use machines ( orig Cantar ... and I believe the PDR2000 was good?) but it astonishes me that even professional machines today often lack multichannel ease of use. Re the glasses: it's dark and ... nice one Belushi!

Jez

Actually a FOUR FADER GANG will be very useful - for Ambisonic recordings with a tetra mic like the AMBEO. Paul... :)

On 6/25/2017 at 8:21 AM, whatisvalis said:

Tempted just to try a MP 3 as an audio interface. I do wonder if we will see a refresh of 7 series at some point, soon.

I wonder when the 600 series will get their next addition? As that is what I'm most keen to see. 

11 hours ago, soundtrane said:

Actually a FOUR FADER GANG will be very useful - for Ambisonic recordings with a tetra mic like the AMBEO. Paul... :)

That's what I'm talking about Vin - not only (the increasingly common) ambisonics but any style of multichannel recording should be catered for in ALL modern machines with comprehensive ganging selection ability ... and I would hope the TOP machines would have the ability on top to have offsets along with the ganging to calibrate or gain match mic types (MS etc) with differing sensitivities. After all, my 1971 design Nagra IVS can do this ...

J

Cantar X3, Mini have it  - and i am sure the Deva 24 will have it. MixPres do have MS, but not (yet) 4 input gang...

The humble dr-680 has excellent ganging features, with ability to offset as well.

I bet this is something they could add via a firmware update. If enough people want it...

The 600 series does not have 4,5 or 6 faders link...

On 4/20/2017 at 4:20 AM, Philip Perkins said:

RE TC: lots of small jobs never use it.  It's very like SD to leave a back door for real TC if you want it--many people used the 552's recorder this way: ext. TC box or a connection to a camera etc., ditto Tascam HDP2, and it worked fine in its limited way.   I look forward to hearing these new pres.  Touch screen!  So...what about scratches?  Will the touch still work if you have a screen-protector on?

Exactly Philip, and you an easily add a tc generator in it's bag!

What a low cost backup!

I'm going to put a kit together using a Pre-6 in an Orca OR-30 so my boom op can do jobs.

She can rent the kit and earn, and it will cover my immediate costs after 10 rentals!!

mike

Edited by mikewest
spelling

On 16/7/2017 at 11:57 AM, daniel said:

The humble dr-680 has excellent ganging features, with ability to offset as well.

The Zoom F4 and F8 have excellent ganging features too. It must be said that the Zoom F series are feature-wise more professional recorders than the mixpre series.

But sounddevices can catch up with firmware, if they want ...

On 7/14/2017 at 8:54 PM, Athomson said:

Loving my mixpre 6 so far, seems churlish to ask for more, but i'm a little stumped by one of the choices that SD made. I guess Paul you are subscribed to this thread so maybe this is a place to ask for discussion on it?

I emailed SD asking if i'd missed the option to stereo link a pair of mics while using the faders to control the ISO levels. At the moment to use the faders to control ISOs the gain has to be set to basic mode and this then has the undesired effect of also removing the option to link a pair of mics to control gain simultaneously with one fader. Going individually into the menu to change the gain for each mic is unworkable on the fly so where I want to record with a stereo mic, a radio mic and a boom mic (real scenario), wanting just the ISOs to mix later, i'll use the custom with basic gain mode, but I cannot adjust the gain on the stereo mic on the go. The fader knobs are too small for accurately doing both together even if I had both hands free.

The reply I got from SD was "I can not guarantee or promise if and when this will be added to future firmware releases." which i guess is the standard reply but with no indication if they thought it was an issue worth looking at or if they would try to add it. In which case i could wait.

Paul can you say if it is something you're going to add? Ideally linking any channels in any modes but at least the 1-2, 3-4 which is available in advanced mode. Does anyone else want the same thing? Show of hands might help i guess.

I really liked the idea someone on here had of an additional mode. Advanced, Basic (mix) and Basic (ISO) modes. But it might actually prove simpler to do away with the different modes and just allow people to find the more advanced options when needed, further in the menus but have a simple set up as default with a clear option to reset settings. I can see the idea behind having a basic mode but i'm not sure it's simpler to understand different modes from the get go, rather than understanding different options as and when they are needed.

Other than that the only thing's i'd change would be to put out the light on the stop button. I lost the start of something already thinking the record button was lit. And when i'm wearing polarised sunglasses i can't see anything as the screen is 90 degrees wrong for my glasses, i thought it had died and i was panicking for a minute or two, checking connections and trying to restart it until i took off my sunglasses :-)  Not sure if that's all polarised glasses or just mine but maybe version 2 could bear that in mind if it was just bad luck to be 90 off for that.

Thanks a lot for your thoughts - they are understood. We have always valued customer feedback like this - there is no doubt it has helped us improve our products. Having said that, I can't add anything to the standard SD reply that you have already received. We don't talk about or promise anything unless it is real and available. 

On 7/12/2017 at 8:27 PM, JayKay said:

You are right, but this problem is not affected by the source impedance. I also tested it with a 150 ohms resistor... Same result.

Btw. the noise ch 1 is only more noisy in the lower frequencies. 500 hertz and below which is unusual. At 20 Hz ch1 has 14db!!! more noise than ch 2 or 3.

This device was already sent to Sound Devices by my dealer and they said, that everything is fine :(

So if anybody else is experiencing this, it might even be a design flaw...

Hi Paul

Hope you and Ruth and family are doing well!

Any comment about this noise level observation please?

Fond regards

mike

4 hours ago, mikewest said:

Hi Paul

Hope you and Ruth and family are doing well!

Any comment about this noise level observation please?

Fond regards

mike

Hi Mike, I'm following up with tech support. Please bear with me as I'm currently out of the country until next week.

best

Paul

@mikewest

I did a few more tests and found out that this problem only occures if phantom power is enabled. My guess would be, that phantom power is leaking into the preamp on channel 1.

Sound Devices set me up with an RA and I´m currently sending them my devices.

16 minutes ago, JayKay said:

I did a few more tests and found out that this problem only occures if phantom power is enabled. My guess would be, that phantom power is leaking into the preamp on channel 1.

And just to clarify, in my test phantom power on or off made no difference: either way there was no issue.

Cheers,

Roland