afewmoreyears

Sound Devices Mix Pre-3 and Mix Pre-6

365 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, afewmoreyears said:

Am I missing something here...? You must use the selector knob to scroll down PAST the current days folder and files... The older folders and files ARE there... At least on my Mix3

Oh phew, glad to hear that! (was half wondering from the other comments if you didn't have control over folder structures) But what about my other questions, can the MixPre3/6 do that?

These things:

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Makes me wonder, does it also have the ability to name tracks? What fine level control does it have over file naming? Can notes be added to the metadata both before and after a recording?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Notes, I don't think so... but you can name the file ... track I don't think so...  I see no way to access that...and I didn't read it in the manual..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IronFilm said:


Makes me wonder, does it also have the ability to name tracks? What fine level control does it have over file naming? Can notes be added to the metadata both before and after a recording?

Yes you can. It's a little kludgy to do this on the MixPre itself but wayy easier with the wingman app. With Wingman you can very easily name tracks, rename files after recording, and add metadata both before and after a recording. 

19 minutes ago, afewmoreyears said:

Notes, I don't think so... but you can name the file ... track I don't think so...  I see no way to access that...and I didn't read it in the manual..

You can name tracks before recording by tapping on the channel name in the channel setup screen (the screen that lets you adjust gain, panning, linking, etc). 

After recording you can navigate to the file and tap "Edit" and then you have options to edit the recording name, add notes, or add or rename the tracks right there on the MixPre as well. 

It works fine on the unit but it's a lot of little screens to navigate - like I said this is all way easier to do with the wingman app. 

-Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice, good to hear Mike! Sounds like the Wingman app is an essential piece of kit with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, afewmoreyears said:

I just recorded to 3 test folders with different names... recorded 3 files to each.... If you to project menu and hit open NOT new... All the 3 folders are there and yes, you can select the file and play it.. or... select the file and trash or rename or...

Am I missing something here...? You must use the selector knob to scroll down PAST the current days folder and files... The older folders and files ARE there... At least on my Mix3

heeeyyyyyyy! Well there you go!! Thanks for pointing that out. As I didn't create a project I didn't consider looking in there for the previous days non-project, automatically made daily folders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Athomson said:

heeeyyyyyyy! Well there you go!! Thanks for pointing that out. As I didn't create a project I didn't consider looking in there for the previous days non-project, automatically made daily folders.

Re the last few comments - I actually see this as a fairly 'high end' recorder for musicians and nature recordists etc rather than a cheapo production recorder so would have been quite upset had the navigation thing been an issue ... which of course I'm glad it isn't! I'll just add that in the nature recording stakes I have been on extended trips without hauling a laptop around with me and often having to sit on several days or longer of recordings before having any opportunity to back up -  I looked at getting one of the early hard drives with CF slots for direct backup that news photographers used but never did in the end. Just saying, even with a pocketful of spare cards I would also have been looking for a firmware update pronto - happy to hear this was good ol' user error tho'!

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as the Wingman set up for the MixPre3, it's lure to me is the tiny and easy size and quick deployment.. With the wingman, it's just another item to have in your hands or bag... but to each their own...  I will probably quickly voice slate whats on what track... easy enough.. If this can be done per above... good option too..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

I'm a long-time reader, and first-time poster here. I have a burning question about something relating to this new MixPre series, and I was hoping someone can shed some light on this.

I am on the verge of purchasing a 633 unit, and I noticed that Sound Devices had very recently announced this MixPre series which feature new "Kashmir" preamps. My question is, are these in direct competition with existing preamps in its other higher-end products, that is, it's a better technology in some way, where potentially 6-series devices might be updated with a "higher-end" version of them soon, too?

I ask because I wonder if I should hold off on the 633 if this is a possibility, seeing as, on paper at least, the noise floor is -130dBV for the new MixPres as compared to -126 dBu. Not comparing apples to oranges, of course; just questioning the preamps themselves. I presume that the 633 still has a long life-cycle ahead, but it is a curiosity nonetheless. I am still very new to sound, so pardon my ignorance if any should show. Thanks for your patience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dkm said:

Hi all,

I'm a long-time reader, and first-time poster here. I have a burning question about something relating to this new MixPre series, and I was hoping someone can shed some light on this.

I am on the verge of purchasing a 633 unit, and I noticed that Sound Devices had very recently announced this MixPre series which feature new "Kashmir" preamps. My question is, are these in direct competition with existing preamps in its other higher-end products, that is, it's a better technology in some way, where potentially 6-series devices might be updated with a "higher-end" version of them soon, too?

I ask because I wonder if I should hold off on the 633 if this is a possibility, seeing as, on paper at least, the noise floor is -130dBV for the new MixPres as compared to -126 dBu. Not comparing apples to oranges, of course; just questioning the preamps themselves. I presume that the 633 still has a long life-cycle ahead, but it is a curiosity nonetheless. I am still very new to sound, so pardon my ignorance if any should show. Thanks for your patience.

I would guess the only folks who could shed such light would be Sound Devices themselves ...

Apples to oranges, maybe not - but tangerines to satsumas quite possibly. I can't really see a choice between a MixPre 6 and a 633 based on the preamp (rather than outputs and all sorts of other features). Maybe if you're just interested in the preamps and the noise floor (and have a 633 area budget) an R4+ might be an option (... is the euro version for sale in Canada?) ... but to go back to the SD products, I would ask them if you're really expecting 'Kashmirs' to be fitted to future 6 series, otherwise just get the unit that suits your purposes best.

I haven't heard anything so far to make me think there is a huge difference between Kashmir and the Karakoram we've been using the last few years ...

Jez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi dkm,

I haven't tested the MP-3/6 myself yet, but basically at this quality level the differences in noise floor etc are pretty slim and unless you're doing expensive top level projects it really doesn't matter anymore. I doubt there are a lot of people out there who can reliably tell the difference in sound quality between a MP-3/6 and a 633 in a blind test (I know I can't), and usually the one where the mic was 10cm closer will sound better. So in the end it's more about feature set, benefits in daily use, operating the device, workflow etc.

Concerning your question about an updated 633 nobody knows (or rather the few who do won't tell). Eventually they will update the machine, but probably the focus will be more on features (more preamps? more channels?) since sound quality has reached a point where it is really not a big issue for location sound anymore (if you're doing high-end classical recording it is probably a different matter).

so if the 633 fits your needs and you have work ahead, go for it, it's a very nice machine. 

chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dkm said:

on paper at least, the noise floor is -130dBV for the new MixPres as compared to -126 dBu

Hi dkm,

I agree with Chris that, even if all else was equal in the preamps, the EIN differences would be all but indistinguishable, not least since, if you remove the mix of dBV and dBu the two are more obviously closer in spec: the Mixpre 3/6 specs are -128dBu and the 633 is -126 dBu, and the latter is not a reason to hold back on a 633.

Cheers,

Roland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you need outputs get a 633. If you don't the get a MixPre 3/6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Glen Deakin said:

If you need outputs get a 633. If you don't the get a MixPre 3/6

well, there are also differences in powering options, easy access to routing and trim/faders, timecode, dual cards etc...

so I'd say if all I need is a nice little multitrack recorder I'd go for the MP-3/6, if I'd need a full production machine I'd go for the 633

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now