afewmoreyears

Sound Devices Mix Pre-3 and Mix Pre-6

47 minutes ago, Michael Wynne said:

back to the MS convo, it appears the latest firmware update v1.53 states under fixed "Incorrect gain values when channels are MS linked"   So I can only assume that the ISO's are still being recorded as decoded LR file when linked ?  To me this doesn't make sense since you already have the LR record bus for that option.  So you end up loosing the ability to monitor / preview a raw mid side to see how it's working when recording.

What I do is use regular linking on channels 1-2 and a custom headphone preset to monitor 1-2 with M/S decoding. That way I listen to the decoded signal on site but the isos are recorded raw for the most flexibility in post.

39 minutes ago, Allen Rowand said:

What I do is use regular linking on channels 1-2 and a custom headphone preset to monitor 1-2 with M/S decoding. That way I listen to the decoded signal on site but the isos are recorded raw for the most flexibility in post.

I do the same. I do wish there were away to record both the decoded and raw tracks simultaneously however. I would love it if the isos were true isos - recording the input signal only - and any processing happened only to the stereo bus. To my knowledge though all of the SD products 6-series and newer work this way though, where m-s linking affects isos too. 

-Mike

On 01/02/2018 at 8:33 PM, bary555 said:

How long does it run on li-ions? 

About the same as eneloop pro. Somewhere around 120 minutes with one phantom power channel.

5 hours ago, Allen Rowand said:

Ditto re MS decoding to LR to headphones while recording the M and S as isos, but I don't use stereo (your 'regular') linking unless the mics have identical output (and my MS pairs rarely do).

Cheers,

Roland

3 hours ago, Throwback said:

I don't use stereo (your 'regular') linking unless the mics have identical output (and my MS pairs rarely do).

Good point, I use a single M/S mic.

On 2/21/2018 at 11:14 PM, Allen Rowand said:

Thank you Allen !

I liked the grommet idea.  Found this at Ace, part #405942-M.  I.D. 5/16".  Gives you a nice big diameter and still allows push to select.IMG_2663.jpgIMG_2652.jpg

couple questions I've had working with the MixPre for a little bit:

1: Can you store numerous take names like you can on the 744t? I haven't figured out how.  I've created presets where a certain take name is default, but it seems like I have to type in a new name if I want to change it while still in one preset.

2: Can you scroll through your headphone presets using the right dial like on the 744t?  I know I can access them through the menu, but that headphone rotation on the 744t is sure handy.

On 3/1/2018 at 3:49 PM, audiofp said:

I liked the grommet idea.  Found this at Ace, part #405942-M.  I.D. 5/16".  Gives you a nice big diameter and still allows push to select.IMG_2663.jpgIMG_2652.jpg

Do you happen to have a link to this part? Or do you know what the part is actually for or what it is called? I went to an Ace and have looked online but can't find it. Looks like a good solution though!