NEW: Timecode Systems | UltraSync One

VASI

27 minutes ago, Patrick Tresch said:

Is a new cable such a big hassle for you?

well, considering that you might need up to five different versions and a backup for each of them it could be quite a hassle (and expensive).

but I think it depends on the type of use, for a owner operator these could be lovely units (known setup, careful handling) while on harsh productions they might be not ideal (non standard connectors and possibly fragile) 

chris

Isn't it always? ;-)

I feel that a lot of the confusion comes from people working in very different enviroments with different priorities.

like: the guy working on low budget cooperate shoots with sit down interviews might wonder "what's the problem with the connector, it will work fine if  handled carefully" while the other working on a blockbuster feature with five cameras that need to be kept in sync in the freezing cold with gloves on probably thinks "what's the point in saving 0.00000001% in rental costs if it could result in trouble during an important moment"

chris

3 hours ago, Patrick Tresch said:

Is a new cable such a big hassle for you?

It's not one cable. It's four or more cables for each of the little TC boxes you buy so your box can connect to the different cameras you work with. And mixers may have at least three boxes. So to support the non-standard connector on the UltraSync, you may need to make or buy a dozen new cables. Some connectors are easy to solder, some aren't, so you will probably buy at least some of your cables. Let's say that averages out to around US$60/cable. 

Lots of variables and super-rough estimates here, but for me and my small-gig world, working with the UltraSync One and its nonstandard connector will require an extra $700 for cables. Perhaps less, perhaps more. For mixers, it's not just one new cable. 

21 minutes ago, Jim Feeley said:

It's not one cable. It's four or more cables for each of the little TC boxes you buy so your box can connect to the different cameras you work with. And mixers may have at least three boxes. So to support the non-standard connector on the UltraSync, you may need to make or buy a dozen new cables. Some connectors are easy to solder, some aren't, so you will probably buy at least some of your cables. Let's say that averages out to around US$60/cable. 

Lots of variables and super-rough estimates here, but for me and my small-gig world, working with the UltraSync One and its nonstandard connector will require an extra $700 for cables. Perhaps less, perhaps more. For mixers, it's not just one new cable. 

Thats true, however there are other ways to go about it. 

If you are a mixer who is buying these as your first sync box, then you would have to get all of these cables for the first time anyway, so its not really anything more than you would have to do with any other sync box. 

If you're picking up these boxes in addition to or to replace other sync boxes, then you likely already have some standard cables. You could do like I did (at the suggestion of someone else on this thread) and simply pick up some BNC female bulkhead to Right angle 1.0/2.3 DIN male RG179 SDI cable jumpers (from Amazon, at $10.99 each https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYG69P5/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1), which will allow me to use these boxes with all of the cables I already had which are terminated in BNC connectors. So I can still use the BNC terminated cables I already had for Sound Devices, Red, and Arri cameras, and I only spent $44 for the four adapter cables I needed for two Ultrasync One's. 

All this to say, there are other ways to go here where cables don't have to be such a huge expenditure. 

-Mike

I don’t like it. Connectors are weird, they just are. I don’t like having to charge it. The light blinks differently than every other timecode box. I’d almost rather go with Tentacles if I was getting something non-standard. At least I can solder 3.5mm easily and cheaply. 

I’m all for great new gear but when it comes to timecode boxes I feel like a lot of this wireless TC stuff is creating solutions to problems that didn’t really exist and maybe actually creating a few problems in the process. 

Lsst thought, Betso should get more consideration. As far as I can tell their new boxes do a lot of the same wireless tricks as Ambient ACN and USO but is built sturdy, uses BNC or Lemo and AA batteries. I’d say their mechanical construction is a close second to Ambient. Great display as well. 

I've read through this thread, and it seems to be a chock full of speculative misinformation, assumptions, and guesswork, from people who do not own this device. As someone who DOES own two UntraSync Ones, as well as the :Wave generator, please allow me to set the record straight.

1. The connectors are NOT fragile.

There appears to be a lot of worry that the mini coax connectors are flimsy or delicate. I can assure you, they are anything but. These little units are tough. In the several months that I've owned them, it's never once even occurred to me that one might break. While plugging and unplugging cables every day, coming up with various creative ways to attach the boxes to all manner of camera, the connectors have never felt anything short of rock solid.

2. There's a very good reason for mini coax, rather than BNC.

The Ultrasync One is incredibly tiny. A BNC connector simply wouldn't fit, physically. Notice in the picture that the mini coax jacks, which are themselves very small, look absolutely huge, compared with the box itself.

Needless to say, that miniscule size is a great thing. Camera ops love it. I've experienced nothing but praise from camera guys, as soon as they lay eyes on these things. The boxes add neither weight nor bulk to any camera rig.

3. The "specialty cable" discussion is off the mark.

Sorry guys, but I can't for the life of me understand why anyone has made this "having to carry specialty cables" thing into a thing at all. They're just adapters, people. It's not like you have to replace your existing lineup of cables. Just throw a barrel on the BNC end of the adapter, and then you can attach any other BNC cable to it, just like you've always done before. It couldn't be more simple.

Inside the case where I store the Ultrasync boxes, I keep the exact same assortment of cables I already had (BNC to 5-pin for Arri, BNC to 4-pin for RED, BNC to BNC for most everything else, etc.), right along side the (short) mini coax to BNC cables that came with the Ultrasyncs. I didn't have to rework or rebuy anything at all.

I have to say, I'm a bit confused that some of the posts containing complaints about this "specialty cable" nonsense also sing the praises of Tentacle. Let's apply a little logic to this, shall we? If the Ultrasync's mini coax to BNC is a "specialty cable", then surely the Tentacle's TRS to BNC is, as well. Why is one OK, but not the other? Could it be that knocking one product can sometimes just make a person feel better about having purchased the other?

In reality, neither cabling setup is a problem in any way. For cameras that have BNC input, simply plug the adapter cable in, directly, and you're all set. For ones that have other types of inputs, simply barrel-connect the adapter cable to whatever other cable is appropriate. This procedure is the same, whether you're using Ultrasync, Tentacle, or really anything else involving BNC for timecode. It's hardly rocket science.

4. The included adapter cables are quite good.

The mini coax cables that come with the Ultrasync units are self-locking to the jack posts, and attach very solidly. There's virtually no way to disconnect them by accident. I've let the boxes dangle, I've swung them around, I've yanked on them. They stay put.

When you do want them to come off, just pull from the collar, and they release, effortlessly. The feel of it is very similar to that of using Lemo, except you don't have to worry about pin alignment.

Now that all that is out of the way, I'll state unequivocally, that the Ultrasync and :Wave combo is the best timecode setup I've yet encountered. I've used Ambient, Betzo, Tentacle, etc., and I really do like these best. I consider this system to be one of the best investments I've ever made. These little guys pack more features than most units many times their size, weight, and price point.

The phone/tablet app to control the units remotely works very well. (My only complaint is that it can be a little slow to load, but that's really nitpicking.)

The desktop app for updating firmware is incredibly smooth.

The company's customer service has been great. I needed their help diagnosing an initially defective unit, several months ago. It worked just fine for timecode and sync, but it was displaying some slightly funky information on its charging screen (most likely due to a bad battery). The unit was perfectly usable, just a little nervous-making if you know what I mean. The company was responsive, very happy to talk to me over both phone and email, eager to help figure out what was going on. The unit in question was then replaced within days.

Look, I'm often the first to draft long lists of highly detailed complaints about gear when there actually are things to complain about. If there were indeed anything bad to talk about with the Ultrasync One and/or the :Wave, I'd be all over it. But there just isn't. These things work, and work very well.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to shout 'em out. I'll do my best to answer.

12 hours ago, afewmoreyears said:

I don't know about that....

I'll repeat that it's difficult to know what you're really talking about, without having seen and handled the device in person.

The QBit XL you've got pictured is 15% thicker than the Ultrasync One.  It's a small difference, but it's enough to preclude the larger jack from fitting on the thinner unit.

And to be fair, it's also not exactly an apples to apples comparison.  The QBit barely has any features, compared to the Ultrasync.  It doesn't do genlock, it has no screen, no wireless sync, no remote control.

The lack of features translates to a simpler set of internal electronics, which presumably also frees up some room for the larger jack.

Really, the QBit's only significant selling points are that it's small and light.  In total volume, it is 4% smaller than the Ultrasync, so technically it wins, ever so slightly, in that regard. But it's also 6% heavier, so I'd call it a wash.

If the extreme lack of comparable features is worth it to you, in order to have that BNC connector, then go for it. 

As for me, the feature set is why I bought this system.  The connector type didn't factor into that decision at all. 

I really don't understand why the shape of the jacks is such a sticking point for some people, especially considering that the unit comes with excellent adapters.  It's trivial, as far as I'm concerned.

Is there really much point in owning a sync box that doesn't have genlock/word clock? I like the look (and price of the tentacle boxes but) a proper multi camera (and/or a multi audio recorder) shoot should have genlock, no? A single camera shoot (or multi camera shoot with cameras without genlock) would work as well with a scratch track as it would with ToD/Free Run. If there is so much riding on sync (conforming) then production would specify a proper camera, no. Distributing LTC (wirelessly or otherwise) seems like overkill on the simpler stuff and underkill (™) for the more complex stuff. TC box with genlock would be a way for a recorder like SD633 (no word clock) to be (a single recorder) in a shoot with multi cameras using genlock? I keep looking at these boxes and reading about choice of connectors, display/no display, size but if your recorder has genlock why would you want a TC box without it? Equally if your recorder doesn't have genlock (633) then having a (WC/GL) TC box makes more sense too? What am I missing here (other than a bit of redundancy or using ios/android for TC read out)? 

8 hours ago, ABBloch said:

It doesn't do genlock, it has no screen, no wireless sync, no remote control. 

I really like the Ultra Sync One...It's just not for me...  I was just commenting on the fitting of the BNC on a small unit...  

This is all exactly what I like about the Mozegear QbitXL unit...  One switch...one dial... done...works perfect... No headaches... No phone needed...  (or wanted) Display not necessary for me.  Just a TC box...  that does the job perfectly.. And is local to me here in the US.  Again, it just WORKS..

It's most likely  6% heavier due to the Billet Aluminum body...  No problem... I'll take that... all day long...

I have a few Denecke SB4s if I want the display...

Blinking RED LED is piercing bright to let you know at a glance, all is well..  In all light conditions..

Bought it for simplicity, build quality and size...  Fits the bill...  It was pretty inexpensive.. Price was @$220 XMAS SALE ONLY..  So, don't know about the price issue... A far cry from a few years ago sync box prices...

I have not used Genlock in YEARS!!

Did you factor in the new cables you may need??   I know it comes with one TC out... and a genlock..  but we always need more... So much for the price point...

Camera folks LOVE this Qbit XL unit!!!   

3 hours ago, daniel said:

a proper multi camera (and/or a multi audio recorder) shoot should have genlock, no? A single camera shoot 

Depends on what you mean by „proper“. On a regular two camera shoot you do not need Genlock. 

You do need it on 3D productions and perhaps when shooting really long takes, like an hour or more. 

How often does that happen? 

Like Afewmoreyears I have not needed it in years. 

3 hours ago, daniel said:

Equally if your recorder doesn't have genlock (633) then having a (WC/GL) TC box makes more sense too?

Only if you can tell me what you would need wordclock for. If the 633 does not have wordclock how is the TC box going to change that?

12 hours ago, ABBloch said:

The phone/tablet app to control the units remotely works very well. (My only complaint is that it can be a little slow to load, but that's really nitpicking)

Then it‘s not working well and for more than $900 you SHOULD be nitpicking. 

In reality, neither cabling setup is a problem in any way. For cameras that have BNC input, simply plug the adapter cable in, directly, and you're all set. For ones that have other types of inputs, simply barrel-connect the adapter cable to whatever other cable is appropriate. This procedure is the same, whether you're using Ultrasync, Tentacle, or really anything else involving BNC for timecode. 

So I buy this really tiny TC box and then increase the size again by all these dangling adaptor cables? No, I would prefer the proper cables, which are quite pricey, but admittedly they would be for most other TC boxes as well, but here they do seem a bit more expensive. 

Also, TCS seem to sell them with a straight connector only. A right-angle version would make so much more sense - to me anyway. The straight connector effectively increases the size of the box again. 

8 hours ago, ABBloch said:

(And it costs 50% more, to add insult to injury.) 

QBit: $249

USO: $299

that‘s not 50% more, it’s about 16% LESS. 

Tentacle is $289 (added just to round out picture) 

If anyone has any questions, feel free to shout 'em out. I'll do my best to answer.

There are a few things things I am curious about: 

1) how do you mount the UCO? I asked this before in this thread, but I‘m curious if there are other options

2) how well can you read the read the display outside and in bright (sun-) light?

3) the case feels very soft - wobbly. Does that concern you? 

You raise some fair points, but I disagree with many of them.  Allow me to respond to each.  Apologies in advance if this turns out to be a lengthy reply, but I'm enjoying this discussion of our differing points of view.  :)

3 hours ago, afewmoreyears said:

I really like the Ultra Sync One...It's just not for me...  I was just commenting on the fitting of the BNC on a small unit... 

Fair enough.  But as I said, the dimensions are a little different.  It's not a 1:1 comparison.

So, yeah, you COULD fit a BNC on the Ultrasync One, if you stretched the box to be a little thicker, and if you ripped out some of the elctronics. :)

This is all exactly what I like about the unit...  One switch...one dial... done...works perfect... No headaches...

To each his own.  If you're after simplicity of the device itself, then yeah, you've definitely got it. 

I'd be curious to know, though, what headaches you've actually encountered, or suspect you might encounter, with the Ultrasync or similar systems.  I've had none.  (If I had, I'd be vocal about them.)

For me, the lack of features on something like the QBit is what creates headaches, for several reasons:

1. There's just too much margin for error for my comfort, when devices can't communicate with each other.  If you're on a multicamera shoot, and you fail to notice one of the dials is set wrong, you're hosed. 
  2. So don't fail to notice, right?  Well, there's also the "intern effect".  Even after you've set everything correctly, some idiot can come along, and start messing with things like exposed dials.  That doesn't happen often, of course, but it does happen.  I've seen it a few times in my career.  They always think they're being funny.  (This is where summary executions really should be legal.)
  3. If you do find you need to make an adjustment, you need to physically approach camera.  There's not always opportunity for that on a busy set, at least not without rustling a few feathers on occasion.

In the other thread on this topic, I shared a story that illustrates this point well.  I'll re-tell it here, quickly. 

I was on a reality TV shoot last week, two cameras.  Staging was in a metal barn/machine shop, and set was in the building nextdoor.  On day one, I got the usual, "Wow, these are so cool!" exclamations from the camera crew, upon seeing the Unltrasyncs.  (I'm used to that, by now.) On the morning of day two, as I was still setting up, the DP came rushing in, to inform me the two cameras (in the other building) were out of sync with each other.  I said, "No worries.  The wifi just can't make it through these metal walls.  As soon as I walk in there, they'll sync right up.  You'll see."

A few minutes later, the guy's eyes about popped out of his head, when my promise came true.  "That's AMAZING!" he said.  I just smiled and nodded.

To me, that's the epitome of "done... works perfect... no headaches...", as you put it.  I didn't have to touch either unit at all.  The only thing I had to do was set foot in the building, and the sync happened automatically.

No phone needed...  (or wanted)

Just to be clear, the phone app isn't actually needed.  It's just a handy tool to have.  You can forego it if you want, and the system will still work just fine.  You'll just have to push buttons on the units themselves is all.  The same settings are available, either way.

Display not necessary for me.  Just a TC box...

I'm a display junky.  For me it's the only way to feel comfortable that everything is working as it should.

A blind system MIGHT be doing the job perfectly, or it might have failed 2 seconds after I set it up.  Unless I can easily verify it a hundred times a day, I get nervous.  I like my security blankets. 

If monitor isn't visible from where I need to stand, then the screen on the Ultrasync probably is.  If neither is visible, then I whip out the phone.

And is local to me here in the US.

I do like that QBit stuff is all US made.  I'm not sure where TImecode Systems products are made (I think the company started in the UK), but the people at their US headquarters are great, which is important.

I have a few Denecke SB4s if I want the display...

I'm sure I don't need to tell you, those are bigger, more than 3 times the weight.  No wireless sync or remote control capability, so I wouldn't want them at this point.  They've got the dial you like, though, so I can see why you bought them.

Bought it for simplicity, build quality and size...  Fits the bill...  It was pretty inexpensive.. Price was @$220 XMAS SALE ONLY..  So, don't know about the price issue... A far cry from a few years ago sync box prices...

Looks like I may have been incorrect on the current pricing.  I'll double check, and correct my earlier post if I need to.  But yeah, it really is amazing how affordable these things have gotten, isn't it?  It wasn't long ago at all that it was a grand or more, per box.

I have not used Genlock in YEARS!!

There's not a lot of call for it these days, agreed.  But I'm always in the camp that it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I would have bought the Ultrasyncs and the :Wave with or without genlock.  All the other features are what sold me.

Did you factor in the new cables you may need??   I know it comes with one TC out... and a genlock..  but we always need more...

How many times do I need to keep repeating this?  No new cables are needed.  None.  Nada.  Zip.  Zero.  Goosegg.  Average of 1 and negative 1.  Zilch.  IQ of Trump.  Nix.  Null.  Naught.  Zot. Nil.  Nothingness.

DId I miss any?

The unit comes with two short mini-coax to BNC adapter cables.  Throw a barrel in the BNC end, and every BNC cable in the universe will work.  As I said before, I still use all my pre-existing BNC to 5-pin, BNC to 4-pin, and BNC to BNC cables.  They all work perfectly with the Ultrasyncs.   I've said it umpteen times now; I just don't get why this cabling thing is even a thing.  It's a complete non-issue.

43 minutes ago, Constantin said:

QBit: $249

USO: $299

that‘s not 50% more, it’s about 16% LESS. 

Tentacle is $289 (added just to round out picture) 

Looks like I was mistaken.  Thanks for the correction.  I'll edit my earlier post.

I'd thought the price of the Qbit XL was $448.  I didn't realize I was looking at the set of two.

I see Gotham has the single unit priced at $239.

21 minutes ago, ABBloch said:
  1. There's just too much margin for error for my comfort, when devices can't communicate with each other.  If you're on a multicamera shoot, and you fail to notice one of the dials is set wrong, you're hosed. 
  2. So don't fail to notice, right?  Well, there's also the "intern effect".  Even after you've set everything correctly, some idiot can come along, and start messing with things like exposed dials.  That doesn't happen often, of course, but it does happen.  I've seen it a few times in my career.  They always think they're being funny.  (This is where summary executions really should be legal.)
  3. If you do find you need to make an adjustment, you need to physically approach camera.  There's not always opportunity for that on a busy set, at least not without rustling a few feathers on occasion.

That dial does not normally move... 99% of my stuff is 23.976

Nobody is going to ever going to pull out a screwdriver and change it... No Interns on our sets... DITs and 1st and 2nd camera folks who know better.

If I need to address something, I walk up and approach the camera...period..  I say "excuse me, there is an issue I quickly need to address".. and I deal with it... What's the problem..?   I am the King of feather rustling... 

I'm a display junky.  For me it's the only way to feel comfortable that everything is working as it should.

I can see the TC on my monitors, it's also on the camera... no issue at all..  Never had a problem.  The data for most of my shoots is handed off all day long... if there ever was an issue,  one that made it past the camera crew, me and the DIT, they would suss it out and know when Transcoding the data.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you, those are bigger, more than 3 times the weight, and they're definitely not made in the USA. 

Well, you better tell that to Charley and the rest of the nice folks  at Denecke I just visited in Valencia Ca. USA  2 days ago while they built all their units right in front of me.. The SB4 is still pretty small....No complaints at all.. no dial on it, it's a multi function button.. Really nice unit.

Looks like I may have been incorrect on the current pricing.  I'll double check, and correct my earlier post if I need to.  But yeah, it really is amazing how affordable these things have gotten, isn't it?  It wasn't long ago at all that it was a grand or more, per box.

Looks like you were off base on a few things...lol

As I've mentioned a few times by now, no new cables are needed.  None.  Nada.  Zip.  Zero.  Goosegg.  Average of 1 and negative 1.  Zilch.  IQ of Trump.  Nix.  Null.  Naught.  Zot. Nil.  Nothingness.

DId I miss any?

The unit comes with two short mini-coax to BNC adapter cables.  Throw a barrel in the BNC end, and all your existing BNC cables will work.  As I said before, I still use all my pre-existing BNC to 5-pin, BNC to 4-pin, and BNC to BNC cables.  They all work perfectly with the Ultrasyncs.   I've said it umpteen times now; I just don't get why this cabling thing is even a thing.  It's a complete non-issue.

I'm just not an adapter guy... I would rather have a dedicated cable without adapters whenever possible... One small cable with one connector at each end.... done, screw the adaptors...  ;)

32 minutes ago, afewmoreyears said:

That dial does not normally move... 99% of my stuff is 23.976

Interesting.  My stuff tends to be pretty evenly divided between 23.976, 24, and 29.97.

I've also got one series that cross jams.   Camera needs 29.97, while sound has to be 23.976.  That one's annoying, but it's also one where the system really shines.  I set the :Wave as the master, at 23.976, and set my mixer to ignore incoming FPS data while respecting incoming timecode.  The mixer takes FPS from its project settings.  It beats the hell out of resetting every device manually.

For all my other shows, the mixer is the master, and everything else syncs up automatically, as soon as I tell the mixer what's what.

I can see the TC on my monitors, it's also on the camera... no issue at all..  Never had a problem

Ah, sounds like you're a cart based mixer.  That would seem to explain many of the differences in our approaches.  I used to be a cart guy myself.  A few years ago, I transitioned to a one-man-band, and I've never looked back.  On most of my gigs, I'm bagging it, and I'm booming.  I really love utilizing my full skill set in this way.

When I'm on union shows, it's one or the other job, of course 'cause them's the rules, and that's fine.  But most of my shows are non-union, so I do it all on them.  This is why the ability to adjust as many things as possible, right from the bag, is so important to me, as well as why I like to have screens on everything.  I'm not always in a position where I can see a monitor.

Different tools for different needs. :)

Well, you better tell that to Charley and the rest of the nice folks at Denecke I just visited in Valencia Ca.  2 days ago while they built all their units right in front of me..

My mistake.  Thanks for the correction.  I'd thought they were made in Europe, for some reason.  Not sure where I got that notion.  I've edited my earlier post, to remove the mistake.

Looks like you were off base on a few things...lol

Just two.  And they were only peripheral things.  It happens to the best of us.  That's why we have discussions, to learn from each other. :)

I'm just not an adapter guy... I would rather have a dedicated cable without adapters whenever possible...

At $40-150 per cable, vs. a dollar or less per barrel,  I'm totally OK with the barrels.  If there were anything to be gained, performance wise, from buying new cables, I'd do it.  But there isn't, so it doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not sure why there is such a heated discussion, at this point I'm happy to use any of the new small TC devices (Ambient, Tentacle, Bentso, UltraSync, Mozegear...), they all do their job, and 99% of the time the extras are just for my own entertainment.

Not sure I'd want to use a barrel adapter though, adding two more possible points of failure (ie electrical contacts) just doesn't sound like something I'd want for TC.

Nah, it's not heated.  It's been a useful exchange of information.  I think we've all remained in a good mood, throughout.  :)

I see your point on minimizing potential failure points, but in 10 years on the job, I've never once had a barrel fail.  It's just a hunk of metal, after all, not much opportunity for mechanical strain.  I've got a bag of them in my kit.  If one were to fail, it would hardly be a big deal, but as I said, it's never happened.

Cables do sometimes go bad, of course, but I've never seen or heard of any statistically significant difference in failure rate when utilizing barrels than when not.  I can't remember the last time a TC cable failed on me.

If anyone does want to spend the money, Timecode Systems has a full assortment of Ultrasync cables available now.  But I'll repeat one more time, they're completely unnecessary.

3 hours ago, Constantin said:

Depends on what you mean by „proper“. On a regular two camera shoot you do not need Genlock. 

You do need it on 3D productions and perhaps when shooting really long takes, like an hour or more. 

How often does that happen? 

Like Afewmoreyears I have not needed it in years. 

Only if you can tell me what you would need wordclock for. If the 633 does not have wordclock how is the TC box going to change that?

Sound needs Genlock for multiple audio recorders. If cameras are using Genlock this doesn't preclude the use of a (single) TC (only) recorder. TC and GL need to be referenced to something - a small box for everything (TC for sound, GL and TC for camera - its often not easy to run the BNC between all the cameras) would make sense. It's been a while since i've been asked for GL but with such similar prices for these boxes why have 1 without?

1 hour ago, daniel said:

Sound needs Genlock for multiple audio recorders. If cameras are using Genlock this doesn't preclude the use of a (single) TC (only) recorder. TC and GL need to be referenced to something - a small box for everything (TC for sound, GL and TC for camera - its often not easy to run the BNC between all the cameras) would make sense. It's been a while since i've been asked for GL but with such similar prices for these boxes why have 1 without?

But how many times in your career did you need wordclock on your recorders? And if you do, a short cable from one recorder to the other will do just fine (I actually did work on a movie that required two 788‘s, I C-Linked them. Never occurred to me for a second to use an external sync box for this). 

Yes, I could buy a box that provides a feature that I will very rarely (if ever) need, but I will also get „features“ I dislike, so I‘d rather not. 

Should I ever really need genlock I still have my original lockits

17 hours ago, Constantin said:

But how many times in your career did you need wordclock on your recorders? And if you do, a short cable from one recorder to the other will do just fine (I actually did work on a movie that required two 788‘s, I C-Linked them. Never occurred to me for a second to use an external sync box for this). 

Yes, I could buy a box that provides a feature that I will very rarely (if ever) need, but I will also get „features“ I dislike, so I‘d rather not. 

Should I ever really need genlock I still have my original lockits

Like I say it was a while ago - multiple camera and sound operators on a reality gig with radio channels shared across recorders iirc.