NEW: Ambient | NanoLockit

VASI

Hello,

My question is about powering. What is the input range for DC on the USB connector and or the Lemo? If capable of receiving external power from a camera/battery how might this effect the internal battery if it is powered 95% of the time this way?

Is the internal Li-Ion battery replaceable in the future if it degrades?

Thanks

Stuart

I am disappointed, that there is no scratch mic build in the nano lockit. One of the main reasons to go for a relay small timecode device is, that you do not want to put more stuff on the camera, than needed. For me it is a reason to go for a tentacle, which is very sad, because I have 2 tiny Lockit's and one ACL 204. A nano lockit would fit very good in to my timecode family. 

The thing is, that not all post pro people can handle audio timecode well. As far as I know, and pleas correct me, if I am wrong, only Avid can read Audio Timecode. If you are working with Adobe or Final Cut you need additional software. A lot of editors prefer a reference audio signal instead of audio timecode to sync it later with plural eyes. And since the post workflow is not always clear, and full of misunderstandings it is always the best, to give them both opportunities. 

The thing is, that not all post pro people can handle audio timecode well. As far as I know, and pleas correct me, if I am wrong, only Avid can read Audio Timecode. If you are working with Adobe or Final Cut you need additional software. A lot of editors prefer a reference audio signal instead of audio timecode to sync it later with plural eyes. And since the post workflow is not always clear, and full of misunderstandings it is always the best, to give them both opportunities. 

To be fair, PluralEyes is also additional software.
There used to be an AuxTC add-pn for FinalCut, not sure if that still exists. Then there is the Tentacle software, which isn't free (unless you already have a Tentacle), because it can sync AudioTC as well as regular TC...

2 hours ago, Herbert Verdino said:

I am disappointed, that there is no scratch mic build in the nano lockit. One of the main reasons to go for a relay small timecode device is, that you do not want to put more stuff on the camera, than needed. For me it is a reason to go for a tentacle, which is very sad, because I have 2 tiny Lockit's and one ACL 204. A nano lockit would fit very good in to my timecode family. 

Maybe a good business idea would be to sell a cable with a small scratch mic built into it...

I didn't think about it at first but it looks like if they had added the proper power into the boxes they could have made sales with "NanoLockit+TinyMike combos" (simply adding a connection on the box).
I really like the Nano though. If I hadn't buy Mozegear and Tentacle these last years I would certainly have plunged. :) 

RE: Microphones into timecode units

A month ago, we had an issue here, almost tragedy. A colleague, did a television series with DSLR's, Tentacles and Sound Devices 633. Tentacles at DSLR's, one channel TC, one channel scratch track from Tentacle microphone. The whole programm played at air (broadcast) with the sound from Tentacle microphones; only the parts without spoken dialogue. Spoken dialogue was synced. The rest was from Tentacle microphones. Of course, mistake comes from the editor, but the colleague almost fired (explained to production what was the issue).

So, thanks to Ambient, Timecode Systems, Denecke and MozeGear not putting microphone into the timecode units. A lot of misunderstanding can be happen with that combo. By the way, I am huge fan of not putting audio inputs into cameras (by camera manufacturers); only TC.

35 minutes ago, VAS said:

RE: Microphones into timecode units

A month ago, we had an issue here, almost tragedy. A colleague, did a television series with DSLR's, Tentacles and Sound Devices 633. Tentacles at DSLR's, one channel TC, one channel scratch track from Tentacle microphone. The whole programm played at air (broadcast) with the sound from Tentacle microphones; only the parts without spoken dialogue. Spoken dialogue was synced. The rest was from Tentacle microphones. Of course, mistake comes from the editor, but the colleague almost fired (explained to production what was the issue).

So, thanks to Ambient, Timecode Systems, Denecke and MozeGear not putting microphone into the timecode units. A lot of misunderstanding can be happen with that combo. By the way, I am huge fan of not putting audio inputs into cameras (by camera manufacturers); only TC.

But with the right amount of TC bleed into the audio track, you can have 2 ways of syncing and less chance of the wrong audio making into broadcast ;- )

1 hour ago, VAS said:

Of course, mistake comes from the editor, but the colleague almost fired (explained to production what was the issue).

ouch, sounds tough. On the other hand, I wonder who gets fired if the TC is not readable and there's no scratch track on camera and the editor has to do some weeks of lip reading to synch things up...

1 hour ago, daniel said:

But with the right amount of TC bleed into the audio track, you can have 2 ways of syncing and less chance of the wrong audio making into broadcast ;- )

That's why I am saying; not audio inputs for cameras. Only proper timecode connection.

31 minutes ago, chrismedr said:

ouch, sounds tough. On the other hand, I wonder who gets fired if the TC is not readable and there's no scratch track on camera and the editor has to do some weeks of lip reading to synch things up...

I have not understand yet, how this was passed through QC from broadcast. If there is any.

28 minutes ago, VAS said:

That's why I am saying; not audio inputs for cameras. Only proper timecode connection.

Yeah, but it would be easier to facilitate a DSLR workflow using TC or scratch audio if the TC box at least passed audio or had a built in mic. These days some projects go through various scales of post, including quick, on set edits for social media (where an audio scratch for sync may be more viable than a TC solution) and inclusion in to large scale projects later, where a double system without correctly time stamped media would make things very laborious. But, to be fair this is only an issue for camera's with both audio I/Ps on 1 connector. Eg the minijack on a DSLR.

CurrentIy I would settle for a something simple which would let me 'squirt' a second or 2 TC at the beginning of each take into the single channel wireless camera hop I use with my DSLR clients in lieu of a box sending TC and audio (ERX).

I don't want a mic in my timecode gear. Why bother wasting so much time and effort for low-budget DSLR workflows. 99% of jobs I do shooting on DSLR they don't have a clue about timecode and they certainly don't want to pay extra for a slate or lockits. I either don't touch them at all or feed them a decent mix with a G3 (which works perfectly btw). 

Back to the nanolockit... Klaus, is there some way to ensure that your lockit setup doesn't get inadvertently hijacked by other lockits that might be in use by another nearby crew?

like Zaxcom uses a group code for  Zaxnet. Some kind of unique lockout password

37 minutes ago, daniel said:

Yeah, but it would be easier to facilitate a DSLR workflow using TC or scratch audio if the TC box at least passed audio or had a built in mic. These days some projects go through various scales of post, including quick, on set edits for social media (where an audio scratch for sync may be more viable than a TC solution) and inclusion in to large scale projects later, where a double system without correctly time stamped media would make things very laborious. But, to be fair this is only an issue for camera's with both audio I/Ps on 1 connector. Eg the minijack on a DSLR.

CurrentIy I would settle for a something simple which would let me 'squirt' a second or 2 TC at the beginning of each take into the single channel wireless camera hop I use with my DSLR clients in lieu of a box sending TC and audio (ERX).

Maybe a second "proper" input (3.5mm). One for microphone and one for timecode. Doesn't take so much space. I am not afraid of gear fialure; but for user failure (which happens a lot today).

21 hours ago, Derek H said:

Back to the nanolockit... Klaus, is there some way to ensure that your lockit setup doesn't get inadvertently hijacked by other lockits that might be in use by another nearby crew?

@Derek H On from upcoming firmware 5.0 we improved immunity of ACN(s) so much, that 2 or more crews can bump into each other and all systems ar.e unaffected even when using C-Jam on the same channel. However, C-Jam Master is unavailable on the Nano due to complexity, and so a set of Nanos could theoretically be hijacked - but there's gotta be a reason to keep your Tiny s, 204s and MasterLockits, right? :) 

@Stuart: any typical USB compliant voltage between 4.8 to 5.2V. We will announce downcinvertor cables shortly.

@Sound Intuition:  Range, depends some what in between 60 feet through walls to 600 line of sight. Bear in mind, though, ACN doesn't rely on constant connection.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Lockit users,

we've just released the Lockit Firmware 5.0 including the new LockitToolbox.

Release 5.0 sets a new milestone in intuitive configuration and enhances the fail-safe automatisms introduced with previous releases. This has been made possible by merging code with the all-new, display-less NanoLockit.

We also added configuration options for the NanoLockit with the LockitToolbox. The core features are setting:

- Real Time Clock
- TC Framerate (FPS)
- ACN Channel

Versions for Mac and Windows as well as in depth change notes and manuals are available under www.ambient.de/downloads

Your Ambient Team

On 4/20/2017 at 8:29 PM, Jim Feeley said:

Following the link, looks like these at least currently cost 289,00 € each. Bundles available. Planning to ship in early May. Neato.

And googling around on "nanolockit" for more info, it looks like Louis Vuitton is already making a case for these.

http://eu.louisvuitton.com/eng-e1/products/nano-lockit-010571

LV_NL.png

Or did I misread something? 

Nice work Ambient!

i found this too! and sent it to Sebastian Fell at Ambient... :)

1 hour ago, ryanpeds said:

Just got my double pack today. Here's everything they come with plus a user guide. Also charged and ready to go. 

IMG_2491.JPG

Nice! Looking forward to getting some. Haven't seen them in the flesh yet so I'm curious to their size, are they bigger or smaller than you thought? 

56 minutes ago, shug said:

Nice! Looking forward to getting some. Haven't seen them in the flesh yet so I'm curious to their size, are they bigger or smaller than you thought? 

I was able to see them at NAB so I was already knew how big they were. They are a fantastic size. I'll upload a picture in my hand