Why go to NAB?

Bash

Other than the JWS/RAMPS party on Tuesday evening, I am wondering why any of us would consider actually attending NAB, or is it that I just woke up feeling grumpy this morning?

I am, however, thinking that most of not all of the major audio products have been announced/previewed/discussed here and elsewhere online, and can there really be much more to be 'revealed' at NAB?

Having just written the above I realise that Aaton ought to be showing a bigger fader panel (I am guessing here), Audio Ltd ought to have a working 1010 twin receiver, and I am sure that Zaxcom will have either new surprises, or working models of previously shown stuff.

OK - I admit it - I think I just got out of bed on the wrong side.

Now - who can think of other stuff that we might, or ought to be seeing, at NAB this year?

And I'd be interested to hear views as to whether the early announcements (spoilers?) colour peoples' decisions as to whether to attend or not.

As an aside.... I am currently working on a box for the Phonak transmitter that was the consequence of winning the Phonal Roger earpiece at the JWS/RAMPS party last year. I have used the Roger system a good few times since, and it is brilliant. Photos to follow, but I am heading towards a small Peli case with aerial and audio sockets on the outside, and a battery and the Tx inside. When needed we will simply run an audio cable to it and plonk it near the set/actors ;-)

To all attending NAB this year I wish you happy times, and I hope your feet do not become too sore. Have fun y'all..... sb

With my old 216 Phonak earwigs, I ran my portable Comtek transmitter into set on an XLR, or moved my base-station to set with a battery and a 411 receiving signal from my cart.

A little Pelican with all the bits in it sounds brilliant! Completely necessary too with the Rogers being up around 2.4G, IIRC.

As for your original question... When I lived in LA, I was either working or wasn't working and felt I didn't want to spend the money to stay in a hotel, and that was with the ability to drive there. These conventions seem less and less necessary, and many vendors are skipping many of these expensive shows. That said, I'd really like to go one day :-)

Top ten reasons to attend the NAB show:

10)  Warm desert air

9)  Cool neon signs

B)  A tax-deductable chance to get away

7)  Bags of swag

6)  To have "hands on" with both new and old gear

5)  To get lingering questions answered by people who know what they're talking about -- sometimes even the actual design engineers

4)  Awesome RAMPS/JWS party

3)  Awesome RAMPS/JWS prizes

2)  To meet people you've only interacted with online

...and the number one reason to attend the NAB show:

1)  To be with sound folks you know and like, but don't get to see very often

I think John B. nailed it! Having attended NAB almost every year for well over 30 years, I have certainly seen a lot of changes. It is so true that what used to be the primary reason, companies showing gear for the first time, often gear that will be years away from being shipping products, this aspect of the show has almost completely vanished. The social aspect has only increased, however, with the face-to-face interacton with the people being even more important now in the Internet/Social Media age. Being able to talk directly to the great people with the companies that produce all the great toys we use is wonderful --- and, as John B. has said, meeting up with so many people that during the year one interacts only online, this is why I go to NAB. Of course, the R.A.M.P.S./JWSOUND Party, always a great place to put this altogether.

Good question from Simon !  I have at least one little answer.

Unfortunately I will not be at the NAB this year, but you'll find two prizes from Cinela at the Ramps/JW party:

- A full Pianissimo windshield with many accessories

- E-OSIX suspension for several mikes

Have a great NAB !

P. Chenevez