matching/mixing frame rate in middle of multi cam shoot?

alenK

When we are shooting multi cam docu-package b-roll of live action our producers have started interrupting the flow by asking one or more of the cam ops to quickly switch to a higher frame rate for slow motion highlights.

We usually just jam sync the cameras at the start but lately have been considering using some of the new mini lock boxes.

How can we integrate these boxes into our workflow and accommodate a mid stream change of frame rate on a portion of the cameras in play?

My concern is that we may be attempting to evolve with use of technology just as our production practices are devolving.

I was thinking perhaps we could have an extra box preset to the other rate. e.g. have a set of boxes at 24fps and an extra at 60 or 120 and quickly swap it in.

The key is that we are covering action that happens without our control. We can not call cut, and any time we waste making changes, is a lost opportunity for making pictures. Post never complains about time code issues but I'd like to do the best we can with the circumstance we find ourselves in. 

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you.

I can't think of any cameras that record sound when in a non-sync frame rate.  Many cameras also freeze their timecode as well when in a non-sync frame rate, so attempting to provide timecode for them would be fruitless.

The best thing you can do is have a properly jammed sync box at your frame rate so that when the camera comes back to sync speed, they will have the proper timecode available to re-jam automatically.

13 hours ago, Matt Mayer said:

I can't think of any cameras that record sound when in a non-sync frame rate.  Many cameras also freeze their timecode as well when in a non-sync frame rate, so attempting to provide timecode for them would be fruitless.

The best thing you can do is have a properly jammed sync box at your frame rate so that when the camera comes back to sync speed, they will have the proper timecode available to re-jam automatically.

+1

I did a project with ARRI Alexa Mini at 50fps (for slow motion). When we had to record lines (camera was setting at 25fps), we jammed the TC from Sound Devices 788 every time (we didn't had sync box). The TC at 50fps was "frozen". Features like ACN Network from Ambient GmbH and BLINK Network from Timecode Systems where built.

• 1 month later...