New BDS setup for 633. "External DC Reference" question.

withintheflux

Hi all!

Though i've been happily using L-series batteries to power my 633, I just added a Zaxcom wireless setup so I've installed a BDS system so that i can power the new Receiver as well as the 633. I'm using IDX NP1 style batteries with a Sound Guys Solutions power distribution.

I have a question about the 633's "Ext DC Ref" setting. When selecting the "14V Li-ion" setting, I get around 4 hours before the 633 blinks and powers down, apparently to avoid dipping below 14v. If I switch the DC reference setting to "Full Range" then the 633 acts as if I have half of a battery still, which is corroborated by the batteries guilt in "power indicator", which shows 2 out of 3 lights remaining. If I use this "Full Range" setting, everything seems to run just fine.

I suppose my question is this: What setting are you folks using for your DC reference? Should I follow the guidance of the "14V Li-ion" setting or just set it to "Full Scale" to get more hours out of the battery? What are the risks of doing that?

Thanks lots.

Blake

8 hours ago, withintheflux said:

Hi all!

Though i've been happily using L-series batteries to power my 633, I just added a Zaxcom wireless setup so I've installed a BDS system so that i can power the new Receiver as well as the 633. I'm using IDX NP1 style batteries with a Sound Guys Solutions power distribution.

I have a question about the 633's "Ext DC Ref" setting. When selecting the "14V Li-ion" setting, I get around 4 hours before the 633 blinks and powers down, apparently to avoid dipping below 14v. If I switch the DC reference setting to "Full Range" then the 633 acts as if I have half of a battery still, which is corroborated by the batteries guilt in "power indicator", which shows 2 out of 3 lights remaining. If I use this "Full Range" setting, everything seems to run just fine.

I suppose my question is this: What setting are you folks using for your DC reference? Should I follow the guidance of the "14V Li-ion" setting or just set it to "Full Scale" to get more hours out of the battery? What are the risks of doing that?

Thanks lots.

Blake

Your NP1 almost certainly has a circuit to stop it from being overly discharged (and damaged).

Thanks guys! I sorta figured that was the case, but I'm new to DC power like this. It's slightly confusing that Sound Devices built in such a conservative reference setting for 14v Li-ion batteries, but perhaps there are some configurations where the gear requires 14v to run properly.

Here's an example on a typical high-quality NP1 battery:

http://1v3w1v2bpp601w0yzkycfugu.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/sites/default/files/product/datasheet/NP-L7S_Manu_E_0412.pdf

end voltage is 11.0V and by 14.0V you probably used about 60% of the available energy (represented by the area under the discharge graph). they recommend to set the end voltage to 13V, not because of possible damage but because after that the voltage drops sharply.

chris