Problem with the SD442 Mixer

manuelchk

Hello guys, I'm having a problem just today with the Sound Devices 442, the Mixer seems to work perfect but as soon as I connect any xlr cable to any direct output it starts to peek like crazy, huge distorsion also and cannot record that...

Just happened today, I tried to reset to factory defaults but didn't work... anyone has had the same problem with this Mixer? Is it something I am doing wrong? Any idea? Is it expensive to send it to Sound Devices for repairing?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Best,
Manuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you connecting it to anything with phantom power engaged?
we are usually more helpful if you say exactly what you are doing [emoji6]

That make sense sorry.

Only the 422, nothing connected except a shotgun mic mkh50, in the input 1, mic level, phantom48, headphones connected to the headphones output. Sound great, no distorsion, no peak.

Jus connecting a XLR to the any direct output, and then it peaks, a lot of distorsion... etc... does it make any sense?

Nothing happened with the unit before that, i used it 4 days ago and it was perfect...

maybe your 744T inputs somehow got switched to mic level and the 442 still outputs line level?

that's the only thing that comes to mind here, I second Jons idea to hook the 442 to another device to see what happens. If that doesn't help to trouble shoot, take it in to your local dealer or if that is not an option, send it in to SD for a checkup.

chris

add on: just realised that I might have misunderstood, is it the 442 thats start to peak or the 744T? if it's the mixer and it shows the same behaviour hooked up to different recorders and different cables it sounds like a defect.

Yes it's the Mixer 422 peaking and distorts. Just plugging in any cable to any direct outputs, connecting it to the recorder or not.

As Jon suggested: is the phantom power on your 744 engaged?

Ok I've found the problem!: I had the phantom power on my 744 engaged...

No comments on my stupidity, if I had more experience I should've keep calm and checked everything properly like I've done when I've arrived home.

What confused me that I thought it was broken is that after unplugging the 744 and resetting the 442, the 442 was distorting and peaking just by itself, nothing plugged in, just an XLR and nothing in the end... that killed me.

Manuel, if you're still exploring the whole world of production sound, maybe check out Jay Rose's great book, Producing Great Sound for Film and Video:

Unknown.jpeg

Jay, who is a decades-long audio craftsperson in addition to a great writer (a rare combination), and who hangs out here, starts with the basics of how sound waves work, goes on to how analog audio works over wires, and then gets into techniques for production and post audio. You can check out the table of contents at the link below, but my point is that Jay's book takes a thoughtful approach to the topic so readers end up not with a list of recipes for sound, but with an understanding of what's going on, "Oh; so that's how this works." And the cool thing about that is you end up better able to figure out other problems that unexpectedly come up in the field (and so much of our job is dealing with problems that unexpectedly come up in the field). 

If you haven't already, check it out:

http://www.greatsound.info

1 hour ago, Jim Feeley said:

Manuel, if you're still exploring the whole world of production sound, maybe check out Jay Rose's great book, Producing Great Sound for Film and Video:

Thanks Jim, I bought and read the book two months ago, really good!

I had the concept but because it never happened to me before and was a crazy day I couldn't figure out until I arrived home and went over the options. I think this is learning, and bringing back-up units with me was the right thing to do.

Celebrate the problems and mistakes -- because you can learn more from them than anything else.

Note that I said "can" because most of the learning comes from the follow-up work invested.

"What happened?"

"Why did it happen?"

"What could I have done differently?"

"What should I do next time?"

"What steps can I take to prevent a 'next time'?"

Etc., etc.