new plugOn TRX from Zaxcom

Matthias Richter

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great to me. It's not referenced in this thread yet but they also are showing a ZMT-phantom that has a Lemo 3pin socket and external antenna but also includes 48V phantom. I'd say it's a toss-up on which one would be best for wireless boom between the ZMT-Phantom and the ZMT-HM. I think it depends a lot on how your mic mounts are rigged. If you're working with a bunch of Cinela mounts then maybe go for the XLR version since you'd just plug it in at the base of the mount and let it hang I'd guess.. It's so light I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I agree that we could use a little clarity from Zaxcom on battery runtimes with 48V powering a shotgun and what RF power level are you sending to get said runtime. Are these even capable of more than 50mW?

Sure makes some of the other boom-tip-mounted wireless rigs look pretty hefty.. looking at you Ambient UMP rig..

16 minutes ago, Jack Norflus said:

Unfortunately you can not plug in a lav.

i don't see why not with an adapter.

2 minutes ago, Matthias Richter said:

200ft range is what Glenn says in the video.

So I would expect to get maybe 150ft. That's just 50 meters. Mmh ...

But the weight is nice. My 742 with an ext USB powerpack runs 6hrs but weighs a lot more.

I agree. Zaxcom reported range and actual range differ. 

my 742 runs for 12+ hours with ext usb.

1 hour ago, Jack Norflus said:

Well then the plugon version is the clear choice for me. 

I guess increased range being the main reason, but failing to see any other reason why anyone would buy the lemo version? 

Oh. And why not an optiOnal antenna for the plug in tx?  Cool as is. Optional antenna a good option. 

27 minutes ago, Prahlad Strickland said:

Well then the plugon version is the clear choice for me. 

I guess increased range being the main reason, but failing to see any other reason why anyone would buy the lemo version? 

Oh. And why not an optiOnal antenna for the plug in tx?  Cool as is. Optional antenna a good option. 

As far as I understand, the XLR version doesn't have NeverClip too.

I use eneloop pros in my 743 and 742 boom tx's, get a decent run time, pretty sure over 3 hrs but main thing as they rechargeable we just change them more than we need to when there's a break in shooting. Easy and saves a lot on lithiums.

Got some zmt's and love them, the new boom versions look great too. I think range on the xlr version will still be fine, I use my 74's at 25mw as antenna always clear, no problem with range ever. Body packs at 50mw crap out first but that said range still good with them too, I rarely switch them to their higher power modes.

What would be the limiting factors for not being able to use it as a body pack transmitter? I know the voltage only goes down to 12v which excludes using a cos-11 (it needs to see less than 10v) but was hoping a dpa could work (as it seems to be able to handle up to 48v).

Also, some sort of external inline adapter would hopefully be able to knock down the voltage for lav use. Any other reasons I'm not thinking of