new plugOn TRX from Zaxcom

Matthias Richter

What makes you think that?

From the tech specs on DPA's website. http://www.dpamicrophones.com/microphones/dscreet/slim-4060-omnidirectional-microphone

"Power supply (for full performance)
Min. 5 V to max. 50 V through DPA adapter for wireless systems, 48 V phantom power ±4 V with DAD6001 XLR adapter"

So 50v max sounds like it would be able to handle anything the zmt could throw at it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zaxcom's intent with the new 48v transmitter and the new antenna-less plugon is as devices intended to address specific applications.

For stick mic use, the 743 is sometimes a tad bulky and the antenna is sometimes considered a nuisance, so the new plugon is designed specifically for that application.  Definitive real world tests haven't been forthcoming yet, but Glenn guesses that it might get about half the range as it's sibling -- but when a stick mic is employed, usually range isn't an issue.

The little 12v./48v. unit is designed specifically for pole use where its light weight and form factor can allow you to use a lighter, uncabled pole. Early reports from beta testers is quite favorable for this little unit.

Neither is designed as an all-purpose device.  

Re DPA lav voltage:  Please note the words, "through DPA adapter".

Edited by John Blankenship

Re DPA lav voltage:  Please note the words, "through DPA adapter".

I might be fine with an adapter depending on the size. Does anyone know what that particular dpa adapter might be?

I would most likely only use this as a backup bodypack but it would be great to have it be dual purpose in that way. Assuming the voltage can be taken care of, is there any other reason this can't be used as a talent pack?

It is my understanding that the ZMT version plug-on (the one with an XLR connector) was designed to provide a news reporter style plug-on to be used with the typical EV RE-50 microphone. It utilizes an antenna system that uses the body of the transmitter and the microphone which does result in reduced range. In this case, range is assumed to not really be an issue for it's intended use. The ZMT - Phantom (Lemo connector) is the one that is really designed specifically for the boom and is not to be used with a lav. It has an external antenna to provide maximum range which should be very good aided by the transmitter's position up in the air on the mic end of the fishpole.  

Glenn has done testing that resulted in almost no "battery hit" when using 12v. boom mics.  

However, 48v. is an entirely different story.  What some people don't realize is that 48v. mics actually draw very little current, however, DC to DC converters, required in the transmitter to boost a low voltage to 48v., are inefficient devices and that's where the "battery hit" occurs. 

I might be fine with an adapter depending on the size. Does anyone know what that particular dpa adapter might be?

Yes, it will be the 48V XLR adapter, which takes 48V and converts it to 5V for the mic. Might not be suitable in this case.

I have to admit, though, the wording on the DPA site is not very clear

1 hour ago, John Blankenship said:

Glenn has done testing that resulted in almost no "battery hit" when using 12v. boom mics.  

However, 48v. is an entirely different story.  What some people don't realize is that 48v. mics actually draw very little current, however, DC to DC converters, required in the transmitter to boost a low voltage to 48v., are inefficient devices and that's where the "battery hit" occurs. 

So hypothetically, one should run a miniCMIT with the ZMT at 12v, right? Assuming no other noise floor issues, which may not be the case.

I think i'll still use a regular TRX with a separate 48v power box for the boom. This setup is a bit heavier but you have another transmitter plus Neverclip. (which i like to have on the boom, just in case)

I would really like it if zaxcom add to the line of tiny black boxes a 48V power supply with no transmitting capabilities. It could even be the exact same box. I think it could be more affordable, and have longer battery times. 

21 hours ago, Matt Martin said:

What would be the limiting factors for not being able to use it as a body pack transmitter? I know the voltage only goes down to 12v which excludes using a cos-11 (it needs to see less than 10v) but was hoping a dpa could work (as it seems to be able to handle up to 48v).

Also, some sort of external inline adapter would hopefully be able to knock down the voltage for lav use. Any other reasons I'm not thinking of

It's not a voltage thing - its that the ZMT phantom is wired as a balanced input.

To be honest I'd like to see NeverClip implemented into the ZMT Phantom but I assume it isn't possible to fit all that magic into such a small box. 

With such a light and small TX, look forward to seeing my American brothers and sisters enjoy why so many of us prefer to have the TX at the business end of the boom pole. 

10 hours ago, Nate C said:

To be honest I'd like to see NeverClip implemented into the ZMT Phantom but I assume it isn't possible to fit all that magic into such a small box. 

With such a light and small TX, look forward to seeing my American brothers and sisters enjoy why so many of us prefer to have the TX at the business end of the boom pole. 

I'd like to see Neverclip in the +48v version if it means it's at the expense of the Zaxnet transmit function i.e.: it can still RX tc and gain control but loses the ERX monitor function. How much space those two functions take up respectfully / if that's even possible I have no idea, but I personally would find the unit more attractive that way.

On 25.4.2017 at 0:44 PM, Matt Martin said:

Also, some sort of external inline adapter would hopefully be able to knock down the voltage for lav use.

Ambient should have an Eumel for Microdot and probably for whatever might be hard-soldered to fit your other TX.

But would a simple resistor, DIYstyle do?

22 hours ago, soundslikejustin said:

I'd like to see Neverclip in the +48v version if it means it's at the expense of the Zaxnet transmit function i.e.: it can still RX tc and gain control but loses the ERX monitor function. How much space those two functions take up respectfully / if that's even possible I have no idea, but I personally would find the unit more attractive that way.

I agree Neverclip would have been nice especially for the HM version. I'm thinking specifically on a few jobs where I have had a stand-up comedy presenter go from almost whispering to full out yelling. Neverclip shines in scenarios like this. 

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, mateuf said:

if there was neverclip in the phantom version, it would be such a nobrainer for wireless boom work. maybe it is also without neverclip. so small and light. are these transmitters already out in the wild for real world feedback ?

Save for a few beta units, I believe they start shipping next week. The unit I tested sounded amazing, never clip or not. I think it's a no brainer regardless.

Makes you wonder if the zaxnet tx componts can fit in here with everything else, why oh why is it not in maxx!! Arg!![emoji23]

1 hour ago, fieldmixer said:

Makes you wonder if the zaxnet tx componts can fit in here with everything else, why oh why is it not in maxx!! Arg!!emoji23.png

It doesn't make me wonder at all -- apples and oranges.

The Zaxnet Transmitters in the wireless transmitters are of extremely low power output, designed only for close distance monitoring.