So who showed what at NAB

Bash

Might it be an idea for us to start a brief list of which companies brought what new products to be shown at NAB this year?Feel free to edit/amend/improve etc..... Simon B

Audio Ltd - 1010DDX twin digital Receiver/1u 4 slot rack unit with DANTE OP

AudioRoot - Quad Charger

Ambient - Nanolockit/MasterLockit Plus

DPA - D-Vice Digital Audio Interface for phones/tablets

K-Tek - Boombox and Sidekick

Lectrosonics - Duet IEM

Mozegear - QBit tiny TC generator/Mongo HP Amp

Rycote - New Stickies and Overcover/Baseball

Sound Devices - Mix Pre 3/Mix Pre 6/MD4 Analogue to DANTE 1U interface

Timecode Systems - Ultrasync One

Zaxcom - Deva 24, Mini Recorder, Mini Tx with 48v Phantom, Mini Tx with XLR IP, Rack Mounted RX12,

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, RadoStefanov said:

the shure is impressive . 2ms delay...

Agree. Not only 2ms delay (standard mode), but AES256 Encryption, Dante output (AES67 support) and wideband. I am also curious about this: Two identical signals transmit on independent frequencies, with one taking over automatically should the other degrade.

21 minutes ago, VAS said:

Agree. Not only 2ms delay (standard mode), but AES256 Encryption, Dante output (AES67 support) and wideband. I am also curious about this: Two identical signals transmit on independent frequencies, with one taking over automatically should the other degrade.

I couldnt find those words. I got " Axient Digital combines two discrete RF signals per receiver channel using a quality-based maximal-ratio-combining algorithm. " which suggests to me the 'ratio combining' that Kish mentions in his 1010 video. It must be the new in thing ;-)

No portable receiver though!!!

Kindest, and envious of anyone who is at NAB ;-), Simon B

11 hours ago, Bash said:

I couldnt find those words. I got " Axient Digital combines two discrete RF signals per receiver channel using a quality-based maximal-ratio-combining algorithm. " which suggests to me the 'ratio combining' that Kish mentions in his 1010 video. It must be the new in thing ;-)

No portable receiver though!!!

Kindest, and envious of anyone who is at NAB ;-), Simon B

Hi Simon,

shure_anxientdigitalwireless.png

or maybe someone screw up the words between "transmit" and "receive". I don't know.

I wound up spending quite a lot of time at the Zaxcom booth (not a surprise) as there were so many new things shown, lots of questions to be answered, I was pleased to be able to help out with the overflow --- so cool listening to José Frías talking about all the great Zaxcom gear in Spanish! Everyone did a great job: Glenn, Colleen, Howy, Jack Forflus, Gene Martin, Drew Martin and José Frías.

I was particularly interested in people's comments about the new ZMT-Phantom for use on the fishpole for wireless boom work. I'm one of the last hold outs for the cabled boom but it is clear that the majority of sound teams working these days have gone full wireless for everything. The hold out for me, originally, was never liking the sound of the boom mic (Schoeps of course) going into a transmitter --- this objection was totally solved with the Zaxcom digital wireless, almost no penalty vs. hardwired, but another problem remained which was monitoring for Don Coufal --- none of the normal wireless monitor systems in use at the time (Comtek, Lectro R1a, etc.) were acceptable. This also was solved when Zaxcom came out with the ERX.

I had seen all the pictures from people working in Europe with wireless transmitters on the mic end of the pole --- not something many of our US sound people were doing. I never liked the idea of putting weight on the mic end of the pole. I had seen wireless transmitters, phantom power supplies, even external mic preamps (not being so pleased, I guess, with the mic preh in the transmitter), all of this along with the mic at the end of the fishpole! Seemed almost impossible to work that way. I know that here in the US, quite a few people were also using the SD MM1 external mic preamp but all these boxes were either on the belt or at the other end of the pole.

Zaxcom has solved all of these issues, for me, with the incredibly small and full featured ZMT-Phantom. Almost no weight when you factor in removing the internal cable (weight), no need for any external preamp (the mic preamp has huge dynamic range and is also adjustable remotely, of course, even while rolling), no need for phantom power supply, etc. 

I'm tempted to use the often mis-used phrase "it's a game changer" but in this case it's not that it is a game changer but it has made the game so much easier, so much more practical and, of course, glorious sound from your favorite boom mic.

Zaxcom ZMT3 PH.1.jpg 

Nice!!

A plugon at the end of the pole is really not a big deal. The Audio Limited one is very light. Even Lectro and Zaxcom aren't that heavy. Mics are lighter, and with no cable in the pole it's great. Glad to see other options in this workflow. 

I spoke to Gordon at the CAS Awards and expressed an SM-sized transmitter with phantom power would be great!! Seems like Glenn agrees. 

The size and weight are really great, but it isn't a game changer at all. The TRX742/3 are already very good sounding, capable boom transmitters with a mic pre built in (didn't think this was the special feature of the new thing. And here we have already been using it at the mic end of the pole

I am sure that I will eventually get one, although if range really is much less than on the 743, I don't know...

28 minutes ago, Constantin said:

The size and weight are really great, but it isn't a game changer at all. The TRX742/3 are already very good sounding, capable boom transmitters with a mic pre built in (didn't think this was the special feature of the new thing. And here we have already been using it at the mic end of the pole

I am sure that I will eventually get one, although if range really is much less than on the 743, I don't know...

Less range is with the tiny plugon designed specifically for stick mic use.  It gets less range due to having only an internal antenna.

The new little unit shown above is the one designed for the business end of a pole and is notably smaller and lighter than a 742/3.

Those of us who already own a 742/3 who saw and handled the above unit, are salivating.

Yamaha was showing the update for the CL/QL series boards, Avid was demoing the Atmos integration into ProTools 12.9 which is really nice alongside their new MTRX interface, Rycote had the newer mounts for the miniCMiT and 4017 even though they had already been released. Orca bags is testing a new harness with a rigid spine and will also have a mount for mounting antennas from a bag. The mount should be available around June/July. 

On a side note, Sony had their Bravia OLED TVs on display with their acoustic screen technology. Amazing looking displays with impressive sound 

3 hours ago, Constantin said:

So the other one has the same range as a 743? That would be awesome. I'm getting one, that's for sure.

Word is still out on actual direct comparisons, but early reports are favorable, and with the antenna in free air (i.e. not nestled against a large bag of mostly water) performance should be good.

Hoping the stick mic style has enough range.  I'm guessing it will get 150 feet.  But when used with sharkies I bet it will perform very similar to the antenna version.  Or at least I hope. No antenna and no cabled xlr is so attractive.  

The 742 is to heavy for end of pole use.  Anyone saying otherwise is probably sitting mixing vs swinging :P.    I'm mostly bag work but always run wireless boom for a backup recording.  I can't wait to do without the internal cable and weight.  

The 742 is to heavy for end of pole use.  Anyone saying otherwise is probably sitting mixing vs swinging [emoji14].

Well then you should talk to my boom op about it. But it's true, outside in a Rycote and a long boom, it's all getting a bit heavy. Inside we always have the 742 at the mic end.
Outside we have a DPA 4017c in the small Cyclone. This is an awesome combination and added to that either of the new Zax TRX would be a perfect match

When we talk about a way to combat poor range in an ever-growing RF nightmare, and improve mobility on sets with 3 cameras and piles of focus monitors by having fewer cables hanging off the boom operator's body, it seems to me that a tiny bit of extra weight at the end of the pole is a non-issue. Let's not forget that boom operators boomed with 416s 816s in full zeppelins without complaint for years.

I bet a mini CMIT or 4017C or 8060 in a small zeppelin with a plugon at the end probably weighs less than a 416 in a larger zeppelin.

2 hours ago, RPSharman said:

When we talk about a way to combat poor range in an ever-growing RF nightmare, and improve mobility on sets with 3 cameras and piles of focus monitors by having fewer cables hanging off the boom operator's body, it seems to me that a tiny bit of extra weight at the end of the pole is a non-issue. Let's not forget that boom operators boomed with 416s 816s in full zeppelins without complaint for years.

I bet a mini CMIT or 4017C or 8060 in a small zeppelin with a plugon at the end probably weighs less than a 416 in a larger zeppelin.

Just weighed a 416 in a full rycote, with no windjammer, it's 670 grams.

743 with battery - 212 grams

mini CMIT - 78 grams

Small cyclone - 586 grams

total 876 grams

Cinela PIANISSIMO - 330 grams

PIANISSIMO version total 620 grams

So looks like you win the bet with a Cinela?
620 vs 670 grams  :)