So who showed what at NAB

Bash

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, RPSharman said:

Yikes! That cyclone is heavy!!

The new offering from Zaxcom is presumably lighter than their plugon.

The new lightweight transmitters (ZMT) are 2 oz. I think. There are 3 models of ZMT: standard bodypack for talent (typically using a lavaliere mic), a ZMT-Phantom with balanced line in and phantom power for use on fishpole at the mic end, and a ZMT Plug-on (with XLR connector) for use typically as a plug-on for a reporter's microphone. All are, of course, considerably lighter than the 7 series plug-on (the weight for the 743 coming mostly from the 3 AA batteries). I never understood how anyone could put the 743 (or the Lectrosonics plug-on) on the mic end of the fishpole but the ZMT-Phantom seems right at home on the mic end of the pole. When you remove the cable (and its weight) from the pole, you've almost not added any weight to the whole rig. For those who still want to stick with a cabled fishpole and the transmitter at the other end of the pole, the 743 is still a good choice.

7 hours ago, RPSharman said:

Let's not forget that boom operators boomed with 416s 816s in full zeppelins without complaint for years.

...and how long were the takes then, compared to the "keep shooting until we get something" mentality of some directors in the digital era?

Booming should not be primarily about endurance -- first and foremost it should be about skill.  Any bit of kit that helps a boom op focus more on skill is a good tool.

Just now, John Blankenship said:

...and how long were the takes then, compared to the "keep shooting until we get something" mentality of some directors in the digital era?

I haven't experienced this is a few years. Shooting 4k, there is some consideration of storage. If there's any time where the mic is out longer than 11 minutes (1000ft), it is rare. Resets are usually long. If our boom ops need a minute (a reload) at 11 minutes or even less, then we should ask for it. I've not once had anyone give me any trouble when I've said, "We need to cut". It's usually a relief for other departments too who can go in and fix things.

9 minutes ago, RPSharman said:

I haven't experienced this is a few years. Shooting 4k, there is some consideration of storage. If there's any time where the mic is out longer than 11 minutes (1000ft), it is rare. Resets are usually long. If our boom ops need a minute (a reload) at 11 minutes or even less, then we should ask for it. I've not once had anyone give me any trouble when I've said, "We need to cut". It's usually a relief for other departments too who can go in and fix things.

You seem to be trying to prove that no one on the planet would benefit from a lighter boom rig.  

Strangely, I know those who would disagree with you.

Oh, I agree lighter is better. Not meaning to be argumentative. I'm only saying that a bit of weight at the end of the pole (and losing the cable weight inside) is a small price to pay for improved range and mobility on set. But I am suggesting that there seems to be a lot of complaints about trying out a practice which is very common in the UK and around Europe.

31 minutes ago, RPSharman said:

Oh, I agree lighter is better. Not meaning to be argumentative. I'm only saying that a bit of weight at the end of the pole (and losing the cable weight inside) is a small price to pay for improved range and mobility on set. But I am suggesting that there seems to be a lot of complaints about trying out a practice which is very common in the UK and around Europe.

That's why I'm puzzled by your comments.  This thread is about new NAB offerings, and the one under discussion both lowers the weight of the pole AND puts the transmitter up in the air.  As most of the US resistance to having the transmitter at the business end of the pole is based on added weight, this sounds like a win-win for all concerned. 

46 minutes ago, RPSharman said:

Oh, I agree lighter is better. ...  But I am suggesting that there seems to be a lot of complaints about trying out a practice which is very common in the UK and around Europe.

There has been lots of resistance to putting a transmitter or ANYTHING at the mic end of the pole here in the US. I have shown pictures many times of rigs that I have seen being used in Europe, sometimes with rather large transmitters, phantom power supplies and even external mic preamps, and the reaction from most boom operators here is WHY? No one is disputing the importance, even the necessity, of the mobility one gets with going with a wireless boom rig --- the way it was being done in other countries, however, was truly baffling. Now, with one simple lightweight and incredibly small transmitter from Zaxcom, resistance to putting the transmitter on the mic end of the pole has been addressed. With the ZMT-Phantom you can be all wireless for the boom mic and have phantom power, onboard recording, complete remote control of gain and frequency, a preamp with huge dynamic range, no companding and true digital transmission. 

In regards to being small and light weight, a ZMT3 weighs less then the 3 AA batteries I use to power a 742 and the same as 2 AA to power a Lectro HM.

I assume the ZMT3 weighs the same or incredibly close to a ZMT3 PH.

I'll be adding one to my kit for bag work and doing away with the curly cable between mixer and boom. No more getting hooked up/tangled on stuff. 

ZMT3.jpg

3xAAA.jpg

Edited by Nate C

24 minutes ago, Nate C said:

In regards to being small and light weight, a ZMT3 weighs less then the 3 AAA batteries I use to power a 742 and the same as 2 AA to power a Lectro HM.

I assume the ZMT3 weighs the same or incredibly close to a ZMT3 PH.

I'll be adding one to my kit for bag work and doing away with the curly cable between mixer and boom. No more getting hooked up/tangled on stuff. 

ZMT3.jpg

3xAAA.jpg

Typo:  742 uses 3 AA (not 3 AAA).

I'll tell my boom op he should buy one asap to reduce weight....LOL...

I could care less...   I already have a nice wireless system that works perfect... if he would like to saye a few ounces and put the transmitter on the business end of the pole...it's on him...  I have enough expenses as the mixer..

10 hours ago, afewmoreyears said:

I'll tell my boom op he should buy one asap to reduce weight....LOL...

I could care less...   I already have a nice wireless system that works perfect... if he would like to saye a few ounces and put the transmitter on the business end of the pole...it's on him...  I have enough expenses as the mixer..

Great attitude, you never disappoint! I don't think I have ever used the words: "I could care less..." when discussing anything that my team, and specifically the boom operator, could be interested in. If you really COULD care LESS, how about caring less and just avoid this discussion altogether. 

One of the things I like most about this industry, is the team aspect. 

There are many things I consider when adding new tools.  Not caring about my crew isn't one of them.  If I don't buy one of these, it won't be based on disregard.

Good leaders care about the people who work under them -- great leaders put their people first before themselves.

7 minutes ago, Glen Deakin said:

Isn't it "I couldn't care less"?

Often mis-spoken, often mis-used --- I already made my point regarding Mirror's post, I wasn't going to get into correcting the phrase. I could care less, or I could care more, or I couldn't care at all.

19 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

That's why I'm puzzled by your comments.  This thread is about new NAB offerings, and the one under discussion both lowers the weight of the pole AND puts the transmitter up in the air.  As most of the US resistance to having the transmitter at the business end of the pole is based on added weight, this sounds like a win-win for all concerned. 

Cool. We're saying the same thing :-)

Tough room... I'm kind of kidding .. Jeeze..take it easy..

Of course I care about my crew.. but in a time of reduced shows and rates for gear, saving a tad of weight on the boom pole is not one of my pressing concerns.. and buying an expensive device to accomplish this is also not important right now...for me... But, if I was to buy one and had none now, this would be a nice option..

I do like boom ops to have their own poles and if they really want a light one, they are welcome to grab one of these units.. if they choose to.. Right now it is Not a pressing concern of mine and whether they choose to or not is up to them..  

Why the hostility...my post was written quickly and without any anger or disregard to my crew...Ask any boom ops who has worked with me over the 5 years I have been a mixer..  (just kidding)  I have gone WAY out of my way to take care of them and they're rate, in many instances causing small issues with production over boom ops rates. I always treat them with the utmost respect and fight like hell for they're job position, and have for years..

back to the thread..I apologize if my post was taken the wrong way...

You guys take this forum way too seriously.. 

1 hour ago, afewmoreyears said:

Tough room... I'm kind of kidding .. Jeeze..take it easy..

Of course I care about my crew.. but in a time of reduced shows and rates for gear, saving a tad of weight on the boom pole is not one of my pressing concerns.. and buying an expensive device to accomplish this is also not important right now...for me... But, if I was to buy one and had none now, this would be a nice option..

I do like boom ops to have their own poles and if they really want a light one, they are welcome to grab one of these units.. if they choose to.. Right now it is Not a pressing concern of mine and whether they choose to or not is up to them..  

Why the hostility...my post was written quickly and without any anger or disregard to my crew...Ask any boom ops who has worked with me over the 5 years I have been a mixer..  (just kidding)  I have gone WAY out of my way to take care of them and they're rate, in many instances causing small issues with production over boom ops rates. I always treat them with the utmost respect and fight like hell for they're job position, and have for years..

back to the thread..I apologize if my post was taken the wrong way...

You guys take this forum way too seriously.. 

I was a little surprised coming from you because I've had the impression you are among the conscientious and caring.  I'm thinking your original post came across in a way you didn't intend -- most likely meant as much lighter than it appeared.

I find I'm a bit sensitive toward boom ops because there are so many on set who think that all they do is hold a stick.  When I hear that perspective, I point out that all a camera op does is press a start button.  That bit of "there's a lot more to it than is instantly obvious" sometimes slows the attitude down a tad.

And for the record, as much as I love almost all things tech, I agree w Mr Years, it would be low on my list as a boom mic upgrade option. Now a great monitoring system for the boom op, yes for me on the new in ear monitor system from Lectro. I was looking into the Shure system when Lectro announced their new units. That is something that would be like the old cabled days and the boom op and I would be hearing the same quality of sound.

CrewC

I was very impressed with the IFB unit new from Lectrosonics --- this will be a really good thing for all those boom operators who are doing wireless boom (and I guess at this point that is almost everyone). I have said it many times before, Don's and my resistance to doing wireless boom work came first from me not being too pleased with the dynamic range of the mic (solved when we started using Zaxcom Digital wireless) and secondly for Don, not being able to find a suitable high quality monitor (solved when Zaxcom came out with the ERX). I know that on one job Don was on he used the SHURE system (not sure exactly what model) and that worked out really well. The Lectro unit is a welcomed addition.