MS Sennheiser MKH 30/40 windscreen?

David Lipka

Hello dear sound Colleagues,

I am a longtime happy user of Sennheiser MKH30/40 or 50 Stereo MS rig. Coupled with a Modified Cinela Zephyx it is very efficient regarding handling noise and wind protection.

I am looking for a solution to use it indoor without the cage (like the Schoeps WMS) but to no avail.

Do someone have found an interresting solution of custom made foam which can protect both microphones?

I was thinking to do some tests, first with some foam models of different thickness and various glue types but before doing so i turned myself toward the Mecca of sound knowledge database!

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences!

Best,

David

I've used my MKH50/30 rig indoors with just the foam covers that come with the mics. The foam gets a little squished between the mics but it works fine. Won't stand up to super quick boom swings but you will want to avoid those anyway when using a stereo rig (as I'm sure you know) so you don't get wild sudden changes in the stereo image. 

-Mike

I would look for a suitably wide-hole windscreen for a large barrelled mic (U87? Soundfield MK5 perhaps?) and possibly fit that over the MKH windscreens. Another possibility would be to just pull a small diameter rycote jammer over the two MKH windscreens (not the full size things, the consumer camera mic type)?

Jez

Hi David, a few months ago I asked Cinela if they could adapt the Leo MS for a couple of MKH30 + 8050. They answered that it was possible but they had too much work at this time. As these microphones are still very popular, I am certain that a lot of colleagues would buy such a product.

Another alternative could be à Rycote Baseball or a BBG adapted to this stereo set. Hope the manufacturers are reading this thread ...

Dear Henrimic, David and everyone,

If we succeed, the LEO may come in a new design...in a while. To be very simple:

- it will not fit the MKH30+40/50 (definitely toooo big for the LEO).

- there will be a version 2 x 20mm (For CMC + CCM8)

- if we have enough requests, there could be a way to make a 25+19mm (MKH30+8050) !

Philippe

25 minutes ago, cineli said:

Dear Henrimic, David and everyone,

If we succeed, the LEO may come in a new design...in a while. To be very simple:

- it will not fit the MKH30+40/50 (definitely toooo big for the LEO).

- there will be a version 2 x 20mm (For CMC + CCM8)

- if we have enough requests, there could be a way to make a 25+19mm (MKH30+8050) !

Philippe

Dear Philippe,

Thanks for your answer to this thread and the quality of your products.

If a 25+19 mm is released, consider that I will be the first customer to buy it !

Kindest regards

Henri