DC power distro in ENG bag. Wiring question, Alphamix related.

Derek H

Anybody know if there's any reason not to wire 4x wireless receivers (ek3041's) to one power connector hub on a PSC Alphamix.  The alphamix has 4 female, chassis-mount hirose 4-pins to provide battery distro off of the internal NP1 battery.  I'd like to just use one of those connectors to power all 4 Rx's to keep the other three connectors available.  Is there any electrical reason I shouldn't do this? 

My plan would be to make a hirose-4p to XLR-4pin break point, and then have a 4 lead breakout off of the male XLR.  Using 22awg stranded copper cable.

Thanks!

-d

Anybody know if there's any reason not to wire 4x wireless receivers (ek3041's) to one power connector hub on a PSC Alphamix.  The alphamix has 4 female, chassis-mount hirose 4-pins to provide battery distro off of the internal NP1 battery.  I'd like to just use one of those connectors to power all 4 Rx's to keep the other three connectors available.  Is there any electrical reason I shouldn't do this? 

My plan would be to make a hirose-4p to XLR-4pin break point, and then have a 4 lead breakout off of the male XLR.  Using 22awg stranded copper cable.

Thanks!

-d

There should be no problem in doing this. The only limiting factor would be the internal circuit breaker inside the mixer. I can't recall what its capacity of the breaker is, but I think it can supply four 3041 receivers. I'm sure Ron Meyer can give us the answer.

Electrically, you should check with PSC to see if there's any amperage limit per Hirose connector.

Practically...

Once you power your 4 Rx, for what other possible equipment would you need 3 more HRS power outputs on a portable mixer?

Is this a bag-rig, or are you using the Alphamix on a cart?  More precisely, if you're using the ext pwr on the Alphamix, I could understand using the HRS outs as a sort of power distro for other cart eqmt.  But if it's a bag-rig using the built-in NP on the Alpha AND powering 4 Rx, it seems like adding more gear to the same power source will mean you'll be changing NPs every 2 hours.  (Caveat: I don't know how little or how much power the ek3041s draw...)

If you go for it, make 2 (or more) of that HRS-4P to XLR-4F, and keep it in your kit all the time.  Cuz you're hosed if that cable goes down.

Brian

===edit: I just looked at the subject of the post, and it IS for an ENG bag.....doesn't change my questions, just answers bag vs cart....

Well, I'm thinking ahead a bit.  Could be all of the following: 2-3x transmitters for hops/ifb (using battery elims), backup recorder, 2nd mixer, etc.

Also, since the hirose are expensive, and such a pain to solder, i'd like to use as few as possible.  Though it's already bad enough that the 3041's use them for their ext power as well.  Also just trying to keep cable mess to a minimum.

Update:

Just talked to PSC.  Each hirose connector on the alpha has a 500mA breaker/fuse on it.  So what this means is that I'll have to use at least two of those connectors as each ek3041 draws about 150mA. 

Scott, I don't see a color ring on my ek's but the base where the pins come out is white in color.  I know that I'm getting a good gain structure though using mic level input on my alpha.  These are old wexler units btw.  My guess is there's a resistor in the XLR adapter plate. 

Thanks for the help folks