VDB boom pole stiff

newzhack

Well, there was a day spent. After looking at it closely the locking collar had shrunk. Who knows why but they did. Finally tried some emery cloth then ended up with a rat tail file and took abut 1 thousandth off. After it was roughed up I could slide the section thru and the friction would mark the high spot and then work very carefully with the file, I did this a number of times. I used a small brake cylinder hone to smooth it out after getting a smooth action. Quite a chore but the pole works perfectly now. That coil cord was a bit of a wrestle to get into place. I fed a very flexible wire thru the top then soldered the tips together with some shrink wrap. I then pulled it thru and was back in business.

21 hours ago, VAS said:

I hope this video to help you.

Geez Louise, I do like a shallow focus product video. This video is showing us the newer 1/4 turn locking poles as opposed to the older ones with threaded locking sections.

The brake hone is a great idea.  I think one reason vDBs (at least) get sticky is that the sections get slightly bent with use (that really windy exterior with a shotgun in a zep while fully extended, or being stepped on etc).  I'm very glad to hear that with some work (or more work than I've tried) they can be rescued.