MiniCMIT with Softie/Windkiller mount.

Nate C

I should admit first that I am not using the MiniCMIT, but I have the DPA4017C which is of similar size.

For inside we use the new Rycote INV-19 lite, which I think is brilliant. No handling noise despite the lack of a lo-cut in the mic and the clamp mechanism is great, fast, easy, and effective. It will however not take a softie or windkiller, it wasn't designed for that. But I wonder if it might be possible to simply mount the mic from the other side. Then you would have all the space you'd need for a softie. But it may upset the balance of the mount.

Personally I am not a softie user, outside I'll go for the small Cyclone

Thanks Constantin. I was going to add the new DPA to my OP as they have a similar design regarding a really small preamp. 

I've ordered an INV6 and some stiffer Lyres to try see if I can make that combination work. Until that arrives I have an INV7HG. 

The folks at the Rycote section of Redding Audio's NAB booth said no issue using a Softie with the new INV-Lite mount.  The underside of the fur would press against the mount, but they said that wouldn't be an issue.

They're working on a version of the Lite mount optimized for using in Rycote Windshield baskets.

41 minutes ago, John Blankenship said:

The folks at the Rycote section of Redding Audio's NAB booth said no issue using a Softie with the new INV-Lite mount.  The underside of the fur would press against the mount, but they said that wouldn't be an issue.

They're working on a version of the Lite mount optimized for using in Rycote Windshield baskets.

A version for use with a windshield would be awesome. Did they give a timeline at all?

I use an INV-7, but I have a straight XLR connector out of my boom pole, which isn't typical. The mic and connector meet just about in the middle of the shockmount, letting a softie/ windkiller made for the CMIT fit.

On the CMIT5U+OSIX (and various other Mics + indoor mount) I've used for low wind situations some cheap noname fur sock over the given foam. For mid/high winds I've unhappily used WS4 (including active low-cut, that is AFAIK "hard-coded" into the CMITmini) as (I believe size4 and maybe some other) Rycote WS have a grumbling-noise self-resonacence issue(that exceeds the usual mics of our trades build in low-cut capabilities or physics laws). For mid/high wind situations, I'd compare a weeks experience with rentalware and buying price between pianissimo and whatever size is recommended on the cyclone side.