Sign in to follow this  
chrismedr

Izotope RX6, De-rustle and Dialogue Isolate

I heard it demoed at NAB and it appears to have some really useful tools.  With the dialog samples they had it was quite impressive.  I look forward to hearing how well it does on material from the varied conditions we encounter.

I went from RX4 to RX5 to get the free upgrade to six.  I've been playing with it a bit on some of my field recordings and it works pretty well.  As with any of these types of tools, less is more.  You can over do it and get a duller sound, or worse yet have artifacts that are noticeable.  I always monitor with headphones (Sennheiser HD280s) to make sure I'm not doing too much.  I tried dialogue isolate on a track that had some ticking air handling noise along with the usual fan noise.  First I tried dialogue isolate and it brought down the fan noise really well, but the ticking was still audible but reduced somewhat.  So then I used the new dialogue denoiser first and got most of the fan noise but the ticking remained.  I followed with dialogue isolate and got the majority of the ticking noise out.  Without the fan noise it became apparent that the female subject could use some de essing, so I put that in the chain.  I started with a preset but found it too aggressive.  With a little tweaking I was able to get it sounding natural.  The last thing I put in line was the deverb which I've never been able to get to work well.  My goal was to reduce the slight roominess I was hearing on the boom track.   For once I was able to find a setting that worked pretty well.