cinema sound vs jwsound.net

Twade

Hey Jeff,

it looks like you run both of these - I could spend my days swapping between ramps, cinema sound, jwsound, etc but I think one good forum for all sound mixers across the globe is needed. I'd like to email some of my friend sound mixers and tell them to use one to increase its awareness.  What would you suggest?

Hey Jeff,

it looks like you run both of these - I could spend my days swapping between ramps, cinema sound, jwsound, etc but I think one good forum for all sound mixers across the globe is needed. I'd like to email some of my friend sound mixers and tell them to use one to increase its awareness.  What would you suggest?

I would like to suggest CinemaSound since it can provide a lot more usefulness than just this forum style site. Within all the things that can be done with CinemaSound that cannot be done here, there is a Forum which works just about the way this firum works (but better in certain respects).

I do run both sites (and a few others) and I am very sensitive to the issue of people's time --- no one wants to spend a lot of time thinking about where they want to participate, and also no one really has the time to participate in ALL the various venues and sites available.

I think CinemaSound is the way to go: http://cinemasound.ning.com/

(note: on the Main page of CinemaSound in the left sidebar is a list of the current activity from this Discussion Group --- so you can be on CinemaSound and also easily keep track of what's going on here).

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

you have over 1100 members on jwsound and just over 200 on the other. I think the layout and flow of cinemasound isn't very clean compared to jwsound. I personally don't need "another" user group to follow.

Well, Scott, I understand completely that everyone has to make their own choice so that they don't find themselves spread too thinly. The Discussion Group here does have about 1100 members and it has been up and running since 2006. During this time, many members have asked if more can be done here since it has turned into a primary web destination for lots of our members. I started CinemaSound to try and expand on what we have been doing here for the last 3 years. I am quite pleased with the results, using a social network structure that has many more features and functions than this forum group. The software engine that runs this group, SMF (Simple Machines Forum) is very well designed and has functioned beautifully, but it really can only do one thing --- provide forum-style discussion group, threaded posting and commenting, and support for rudimentary uploading of images.

What I have discovered with CinemaSound is that with the Forum section all of these things can be done and accomplished more easily and with greater flexibility. Regarding the comment that the "layout and flow of cinemasound isn't very clean" doesn't really tell the whole story when comparing CinemaSound and the Discussion Group. From the Main page on CinemaSound if you just want to do all the things you do here, use the Forum tab and CinemaSound will function almost identically to the Group here. If you wish to access and use the other features of CinemaSound, of course the layout and flow will not be as "clean" --- there are so many more things CinemaSound can provide it only makes sense that it would be a little bit more involved. I could post here all the things that I like about CinemaSound compared to our Discussion Group but that would just be my opinion. People should go to CinemaSound and see if it offers more.

Each site serves a function and it will be up to the users, our members, to decide where and how they wish to participate.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Why not fold jwsound and it's archives into CinemaSound? That may be impossible, but I thought I would ask. Maybe a vote would be in order? The vote that matters most would be our host I suppose.

CrewC

It may be possible to move the Discussion Group archives over to CinemaSound, I have been looking into this. I would like to hear from people here how often they find themselves searching back into archived posts.

-  Jeff Wexler

Jeff,

I search archived posts for information I know to have been previously discussed.  There are so many great things to learn here.  But I think that members, myself included, would be happy to re-ask the question and re-ignite the topics when needed if the archives could not be moved.

I am in favor of just monitoring one site, and I'd like it to be CinemaSound.

Robert

P.S.  You really do an amazing job with these sites, and I bow to your genius!

the jwsound forum is much easier to load on a non 3g iphone than cinemasound. make my days more interesting on set :)

This is true. The code base is much leaner with this forum and if Lunarpages (the server that hosts this group) is working well the site functions nicely. CinemaSound, on the other hand, is hosted by NING and it is a huge network that has run very smoothly so far.

-  Jeff Wexler

This is true. The code base is much leaner with this forum and if Lunarpages (the server that hosts this group) is working well the site functions nicely. CinemaSound, on the other hand, is hosted by NING and it is a huge network that has run very smoothly so far.

-  Jeff Wexler

Put me down for the clean, easy to use, simple, uncomplicted JWsound. Cinemasound for me is way too convoluted for my simple requirements in a disscussion group.

Eric

I felt like Scott n Eric when I first found cinema sound. Not as good as jwsound, to cluttered, harder to navigate, Google ads, etc... I didn't want the new place to supplant the old favorite. I also didn't want to loose the data base of all our discussions because I do go looking for info that I now need, but didn't whenever. As time has gone by I have become fond of the new site for its flexibility. Posting photos, sound clips, videos, etc, is a major upgrade to enrich discussions, not that we are using that to its full potential, but I see how it can be used. I also like the link to Don Coufals 'Moving Microphones'  site. I could see Scott having a similar thing about all the new gear and upgrades that come out. Who knows what a community can create with these kinds of tools. Should be interesting to see how it all evolves.

CrewC

you have over 1100 members on jwsound and just over 200 on the other. I think the layout and flow of cinemasound isn't very clean compared to jwsound. I personally don't need "another" user group to follow.

second that! Maybe I`m just to lazy to get used to another group-web-design-layout but I do like jws as it is and it does serve all my needs I have very well. Please keep jws as it is Jeff!

Cheers, Matthias

I definitely like this forum better. 

With jwsound you hit the balance between ease of use, depth of content, etc. square on.  It's a forum that encourages contribution, friendly discussion and even debate with an ease and comfort that many venues lack.  The quality of contribution here is extremely high.

Having said that, as a gesture of respect for all your efforts on the community's behalf, I'll be trying out the new site a bite at a time, seeing if I can embrace it as well as here.  So far that hasn't been the case.

Thanks for all your hard work -- it's appreciated.

JB

I love this site also and I am so pleased that everyone is having good, productive and fun time here. It is gratifying as well to know that there are lots of people who appreciate (and understand) the amount of work that went into putting this up, maintaining it and succeeding with the sort of simplicity and elegance we have achieved. I also love so many of the features and structural/functional aspects of CinemaSound, things that just cannot be done here. CinemaSound has a much more robust messaging/communication system, posts support more features, CinemaSound provides for each member their own personal Page, Blog, Photo gallery and so forth. Many of these features are things that people have asked for here but are just not possible within the confines of a simple forum.

I am going to keep both going for sure --- no one should be concerned that this site is going down, that is not going to happen. Those of you who have a spirit of adventure or would like to branch out and have another arena for expression and discourse, give CinemaSound a try.

I look forward to the continuation of the wonderful participation of all our members here, and we'll see how things grow at CinemaSound in the coming months.

Best regards to all, your host,  Jeff Wexler

You know Jeff for me it's down to what you want to do, which one you want to work on.  I could see that keeping up with the two forums might be a lot of work, and since it is a public service (that I value highly) I'll follow wherever this thing leads.  For now I'm more used to this forum, but if you decided to make it part of the Cinemasound thing I'll deal.

Philip Perkins

You know Jeff for me it's down to what you want to do, which one you want to work on.  I could see that keeping up with the two forums might be a lot of work, and since it is a public service (that I value highly) I'll follow wherever this thing leads.  For now I'm more used to this forum, but if you decided to make it part of the Cinemasound thing I'll deal.

Philip Perkins

Thank you Philip. As one of our most revered (and active) member here, I value your opinion. Both the Discussion Group and CinemaSound will continue to get my full attention, both will remain public and free, everyone is free to make their own way, either way.

-  Jeff Wexler

Jeff:

Today was my first look at Cinema Sound. My initial impression was very "Facebook" like. But having said that, an hour flew by before I knew it. It certainly gave me a better view into some of the lives of posters that this site may not provide. If I am on set and I might have a question or remember a certain thread or post, I always come here for the answer. I usually have jwsound.net minimized on my task bar for those lengthy lighting set ups.

I think that we all would agree the time and effort that you have put into this site has brought a lot of people together in a way that maybe "ramps" or some of the other forums could never do. I only wish that this site existed 30 years ago when I started out.  So I am going to keep this as my go to site for now. That's not to say that I won't give Cinema Sound another try. It's just that they are two completely different sites. 

Bill