Pro Sound NYC

jwill

Everyone in the Topham family is just fine. Rich Topham decided to retire and sold the business. Jim & Andy bought the NY operation, the New Orleans office was bought by the managers who ran that office and I and my partner Ahmed Lugo who ran the Ft. Lauderdale shop bought the Ft. Lauderdale office. The New Orleans operation is now called "SoundHard" and here it's "Production Sound Solutions." Three separate companies all professionally staffed. All is good.

On 10 May 2017 at 2:26 PM, Eric Toline said:

Everyone in the Topham family is just fine. Rich Topham decided to retire and sold the business. Jim & Andy bought the NY operation, the New Orleans office was bought by the managers who ran that office and I and my partner Ahmed Lugo who ran the Ft. Lauderdale shop bought the Ft. Lauderdale office. The New Orleans operation is now called "SoundHard" and here it's "Production Sound Solutions." Three separate companies all professionally staffed. All is good.

Eric, I'm afraid All Is Not Well.

A good friend of mine had a piece of new equipment on consignment at PSS New York. This was sold but no payment was forthcoming. When my friend heard of the sale of the company he contacted the new owners Who said "not our problem see the previous owners". This proved impossible as the new owners woildn't release any contact details so my guy was over $1000 out of pocket and no way of contacting the ex owner. It was only when someone marched into PSS and finally left with the money.

3 hours ago, Malcolm Davies Amps CAS said:

A good friend of mine had a piece of new equipment on consignment at PSS New York. This was sold but no payment was forthcoming. When my friend heard of the sale of the company he contacted the new owners Who said "not our problem see the previous owners". This proved impossible as the new owners woildn't release any contact details so my guy was over $1000 out of pocket and no way of contacting the ex owner. It was only when someone marched into PSS and finally left with the money.

I'd think that when someone purchases a company they also purchase the obligations, including accounts payable. I imagine they are chasing down any accounts receivable. Hopefully it was a confused employee and not one of the new owners.

3 hours ago, Malcolm Davies Amps CAS said:

That's good to hear. I have no knowledge of the terms of the N.Y. sale only the sale of the Ft. Lauderdale office that we bought and for obvious reasons I will not comment on those details.

I'd guess by now you've all seen this:

Nutline: "I am sorry, but you will need to take this up with Rich as we only bought the physical assets from him and not the liabilities or business. Although we are using the name Professional Sound Services, we are a wholly different business, PSS is simply a trading name."

Hmmm. Sounds like this is a separate incident from Malcolm's friend's incident. I don't know the legal issues (though my hazy understanding is along RP's), but stories like these sure don't engender good will in our small community.

Are Andy Hilton or Jim Flynn on this board? If so, I hope they can address these issues in a positive manner. 

So Andy and Jim, what's up?