Music in Objects

msimonson

Hey,

I'm mostly a lurker here because I don't work in film sound although I think I'd like to do something along those lines.  But I wanted to share this anyway in case fellow sound enthusiasts enjoy it.

I've been making a video series where I take ordinary objects and make music using only the sounds from the object.  It's a bi-weekly sound design challenge.  Here are the episodes I have out right now.  Whaddya think?

Recorded on 744t (bought on here!) and an NT4.

--Matthew

Yes, I did enjoy these, particularly Oats, although I lost the sound on playback after the opening.

I did a lot of stuff like that back when I was at uni, so I am also going to be critical. If you use such a source for your sounds, I think it's a shame that almost all of that is lost when you hear the piece. If I heard it without knowing what it was, I might think "nice sounds, but nothing special".

While it isn't it sounds a bit generic. Which it isn't, but I want to hear that as well.

Musically, it doesn't excite me much, but it's nice enough. Also no interesting harmonies. But then 99.9% of pop music is like that.

Maybe just not my type of music. Oats seemed more promising, before I lost the sound.

Crew is right, though, well made.

Maybe you could just be a bit more adventurous.

Sorry to be so critical, but you did ask for an opinion

1 hour ago, old school said:

Music Concrete?   I enjoyed these. Thanks for sharing. After recording the samples, do you play them on the pad controller or cut and paste, or all of the above? Well made. Not sure why the stereo mic but it can't hurt it.

CrewC

Thanks for watching. I slice up the samples and then play around with them in Ableton Live, mostly using its sampler but sometimes just looping parts.  For making the melodies etc. I do play them on that Push controller.  Lots of effects added of course.  The stereo mic is not necessary but sometimes it actually comes in handy getting an interesting sound.  Sometimes the more usable material is from an angle that would usually be "bad"

39 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Yes, I did enjoy these, particularly Oats, although I lost the sound on playback after the opening.
I did a lot of stuff like that back when I was at uni, so I am also going to be critical. If you use such a source for your sounds, I think it's a shame that almost all of that is lost when you hear the piece. If I heard it without knowing what it was, I might think "nice sounds, but nothing special".
While it isn't it sounds a bit generic. Which it isn't, but I want to hear that as well.
Musically, it doesn't excite me much, but it's nice enough. Also no interesting harmonies. But then 99.9% of pop music is like that.
Maybe just not my type of music.
Crew is right, though, well made.
Maybe you could just be a bit more adventurous

Thank you for the feedback, I'm glad overall you enjoyed them :)

I think honest criticism is great, more valuable than saying "I like it" as many do. Maybe a way to address Constantin's comment would be to let the fxs/verb/chorus/etc build over the course of the songs so we hear the dry source sound more for what it is, and then let it build and swim in the river of goo. I have thought about going a song in this style but haven't to date. I have used odd sounds from objects in songs a number of times but never a whole song this way. Again, good share.

CrewC