SMQV storage

Mario Cardenas

I'm not happy with how I store my 6 Lectro SMQV transmitters in my equipment case. Currently, I keep them side by side, three to each half in a Lectro zippered pouch. Once placed, they immediately start rattling around, not staying put. One plus for this pouch is the pocket in the upper flap that allows storage of antennas, etc.  This retrieval/return is a repeat activity that needs to be bulletproof in all conditions and I'm curious how my colleagues deal with it. Thanks in advance.

I  keep stored everything related to wireless Tx in a Lowe "fototrekker pro"  backpack. Once you go to wire somebody you can be sure to have it all  (mics, tapes, belts, antennas, tools...) once you grab the rucksack.  When working on the cart I carry a cheap lightweight IKEA chair with me to avoid putting the Backpack in the dirt. It now has 5+ years and is still clean enough to fold up on beds, antique furniture and delicate sofas.

Hi Mario, I keep each of my LTs in a corrugated plastic tube that I made by rolling a piece long enough to include the tx and the antenna. I just put a heavy duty elastic around it to close the tube. I put the tubes in an upright carry all that has a slot for each tx. You could do a similar thing and make the tubes long enough to take up the space in the Lectro pouch. The tube doesn't add much size to the width of the tx and you should still be able to fit three to a side. You could leave the antennas on without worrying about damaging them. That would save you some set up time.

I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B6K4VDK/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1494950355&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=deWalt+case&dpPl=1&dpID=41NmYXGWPSL&ref=plSrch

It comes with a fairly hard pre-cut foam which you can adjust to your needs. So I have all my tx in the lower bit, as well as belts, mics, and stuff. In the upper compartment I have all the tapes and overcovers and so on. I also have 4 or five DeWalt drawers, all stacked on a small cart (also by DeWalt). They all lock together for transport and the wireless case sits in top at a really nice height for working on things. If I need to go somewhere to wire someone, it takes literally 2 secs to case the case off

My solution is not much better than your original setup, but it works for me. I use the pouch that my 788 came in from SD, put three on either side of the divider, and keep the antennae in a mic pouch that an SM58 came in, along with the tx so that they are always together. Works well for me. 

I pack my SMQV's in drink Koozies. The TX's stay nice and snug w/ a little piece of foam stuffed  in between the two of them. Then you can put them in the lectro pouch or wherever. Mine are stored in front pouch of my audio bag ready for deployment. Clients always get a laugh at the different Koozies I have. 

IMG_4214.JPG

IMG_4215.JPG

Your storage sound pretty good to me. These transmitters can be dragged, run over, fired out of a cannon and still work. If you are worried about damage i dont think you need to change.
I keep my 5 tx's in a small zippered porta brace pouch. No padding. No fuss.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for your comments. In an ideal world I would incorporate elements of many of the suggestions above into something that has form factor of the Lectro pouch (and the space allotted for it in my "documentary" Pelican case) with upright padded slots with Mr. T or Wonder Woman graphics held in place by a hard foam divider. Now to make it happen ...