Just worked with one of these last week and pleasantly surprised that this has a 5 pin Lemo in and seems to hold time code surprisingly well! Had no chance to explore the audio section but this seems to be a solid step up from the Dragon and from the Alexa mini for that matter.  

On the newer Reds I'm familiar with, the inputs depend upon which I/O module (if any) they have.  For instance, the Pro I/O module sports a 5-pin Lemo for time code and XLRs for audio.  They also have several other optional I/O modules with different connections. 

I think natively the newer Reds still use a 4-pin 00 Lemo and the audio input is now an unbalanced 3-pin mini-phone jack. 

Someone please speak up if the above isn't totally correct.  This is based upon limited knowledge and only a tad of experience with the newest Reds.

Worth noting is that I encountered an egregious problem -- possibly a ground loop issue -- when I powered an RX200 from an attached P-Tap on one of the newest Reds.  Switching to internal batteries in the RX200 solved the issue, but I've not encountered such a problem with any other camera -- even the earlier Reds.

On the newer Reds I'm familiar with, the inputs depend upon which I/O module (if any) they have.  For instance, the Pro I/O module sports a 5-pin Lemo for time code and XLRs for audio.  They also have several other optional I/O modules with different connections. 
I think natively the newer Reds still use a 4-pin 00 Lemo and the audio input is now an unbalanced 3-pin mini-phone jack. 
Someone please speak up if the above isn't totally correct.  This is based upon limited knowledge and only a tad of experience with the newest Reds.
Worth noting is that I encountered an egregious problem -- possibly a ground loop issue -- when I powered an RX200 from an attached P-Tap on one of the newest Reds.  Switching to internal batteries in the RX200 solved the issue, but I've not encountered such a problem with any other camera -- even the earlier Reds.

You're correct. With the latest iterations of the last few models it has only been the sensor that gets upgraded. The body stays the same and the modules are the ones that give us the different i/o.

The 3.5mm is menu switchable for balanced/unbalanced connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Flipstar said:

You're correct. With the latest iterations of the last few models it has only been the sensor that gets upgraded. The body stays the same and the modules are the ones that give us the different i/o.

The 3.5mm is menu switchable for balanced/unbalanced connections.

On the newest Red how can it be balanced if you're inputting two channels?  The Epic has the two separate audio jacks (on either side of the front), but the newer Weapon series has just a single TRS mini jack (now on the rear) accommodating both channels.

On the newest Red how can it be balanced if you're inputting two channels?  The Epic has the two separate audio jacks (on either side of the front), but the newer Weapon series has just a single TRS mini jack (now on the rear) accommodating both channels.

You're right. I incorrectly referenced the epic body.

• 1 month later...

So far I've had mixed results trying to feed reference audio to the helium.  Sometimes I can't get any signal and just lots of noise, sometimes I can get signal covered with noise, and I have gotten it to work just fine.  Also seems like there are a few bugs in the firmware, like recently I found the headphone out to be muted until I change the volume, so I have to turn the volume up and back down to the level I wanted to get the return feed to work.

What are folks using to feed audio to a helium?  With what kind of results?

Only worked once with it. Tried to send a scratch track which looked good on the meters and sounded good on the headphone-out. But the sound that was recorded sounded awful, like it had a limiter that's been hit way too hard, even though it always sounded nice during monitoring. 
Weird experience...