Tascam DR 680 mk 1 repair

bdumaguina

Hello,

One of my location soundmen accidentally used an improper voltage setting on the power supply (powergorilla - used 16V instead of 12V). The unit powered up fine but we were not getting any input on any of the 6 channels, line or mic input. Upon checking the battery I immediately switched off the device. 

Set the proper input voltage setting (12V), but the unit would not power up - an error message keeps appearing - SYSTEM ROM ERR
Switched to the included 12V power supply, still the same SYSTEM ROM ERR

After updating the Firmware  to v1.31 the unit powered up okay.
BUT I am still not getting any input on any of the 6 channels; MIC or LINE input; LOW or HIGH gain, phantom ON or OFF. 
I also noticed that I am now unable to change the DATE/TIME. Other than this, I am able to access all menu settings and record into the SD card. Although I'm just recording blanks.
Lastly, I noticed that when I power down the unit - and then power it up a second time - I will get a SYSTEM ROM ERROR again. The third time I power it up the unit will power up fine, but all my settings (rec settings, pan settings, I/O, pre rec, etc) will revert back to settings similar to when the unit is INITIALIZED. 

Customer Support via official website is not responding to my inquiry regarding repairs.

Local Tascam Distributor has yet to give me a call, (left them contact details.

Is the input section fried? Will a busman audio mod fix it?
Maybe a capacitor is busted somewhere that can be replaced?
Has anyone had similar experience and found a way to repair this problem? 

I hope the unit is not beyond repair.

Thank you,
Bryan

Have you tried asking who ever does the mod work for the unit? Perhaps they can do other work including repairs?  Sounds like input section is fried. Perhaps a this would be a good excuse to get one of sound devices new MixPre units?

Also have to ask yourself is it worth getting it fixed?  Might be problematic later down the road. 

Also assuming the mk1 is the original version so may just be easier to find one used. The mk2 is 499 new. 

Shipping from/to the Philiipines to the US for repair might/probably be expensive, compared to just buying a new unit.  It might be just a couple of blown capacitors, or it might be damaged op-amps, so it's up to you whether you trust a local repair place to fix it cheaply.

Thank you very much for your quick responses.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Contact Chris Johnson of Busman Audio. He does mods on the DR-680 and also fixed mine when I did the same thing as you - fried the power circuit with an improper voltage setting. He's great and knows the unit well. I believe the fix was about $100 for mine. 
http://www.busmanaudio.com/
-Mike

This is comforting. So there's a chance it can still be repaired.

Have you tried asking who ever does the mod work for the unit? Perhaps they can do other work including repairs?  Sounds like input section is fried. Perhaps a this would be a good excuse to get one of sound devices new MixPre units?

Also have to ask yourself is it worth getting it fixed?  Might be problematic later down the road. 

Also assuming the mk1 is the original version so may just be easier to find one used. The mk2 is 499 new. 

It takes a while though before new SD products make it to our shores. Also, price mark up here is painful; a lot cheaper to buy in the US. The F8 is readily available though. But yes, the MixPre6 (for the type of work I do) is definitely a contender.

If cost and reliability of repair is justifiable, I would get if fixed. As the unit is suitable for most gigs here (budget wise, track count wise, don't require TC, etc.)

Shipping from/to the Philiipines to the US for repair might/probably be expensive, compared to just buying a new unit.  It might be just a couple of blown capacitors, or it might be damaged op-amps, so it's up to you whether you trust a local repair place to fix it cheaply.

Yes you are correct Sir.

I am confident I can replace a blown capacitor, if someone can only point me to it. I can provide photos of the board maybe? My knowledge of circuit boards is a tad bit limited. But I have successfully replaced all the tact switches on the front panel of this particular unit.

I've not dealt with op-amps before. Might not be confident repairing that.

Still waiting on local Tascam distributor. Fingers crossed.