Joe Mullins

Sound Devices 664 sounds better than 688?

8 posts in this topic

I heard there are some folks out there who believe the Sound Devices 664 sounds better than the 688. Does anyone out there share this opinion? I'd love to hear some comments on this and some explanations as to why the 664 might sound "better".

[I currently own a 633 and have spent a fair amount of time working with the 688 (which I love). I am planning on purchasing the 688 for the additional channels, ability to use the SL-6, Dugan/MixAssist, and to have EQ control with the CL-12. The 664 would give me only 1/4 of those features.]

You answered your own question.  They all sound great, good enough.   BTW, the 633 has Dugan too (now).

Some ppl will say it all depends. And they are right!

The thing here is that you can buy a second hand 664 for $3000 and the 688 costs $6000 no second hand available... so if you've got the money go for it. Or maybe you should consider buying better lavs, wireless, mics, comteks etc...

This is the game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drove a 664+cl6 from when they first came out until earlier this year.  It sounded great.  My major complaints, and why I sold it, were that it was too big for me as a doco-bag recorder anymore, and that even though it had a lot of inputs and features the actual monitor routing you could end up with was kind of limited (ie pre vs post fade etc) vs the later 6xx recorders.   Since I originally bought the machine for more complex jobs this was a bit of a disappointment, and the 633 that replaced it delivers on that score to a much greater extent. 

I like the limiters on my 664 more than on my 633

Gesendet von meinem D5803 mit Tapatalk

As a regular user of 633 and 664 I experienced a more "analogue" sound on the 664 in contrast to that "digital" 633 (which has a digital signal processing like the 688).

The 664 sounds a little warmer, forgiving, the limiters more smooth in my ears, while the 633 is a little harsh sometimes but clean and direct. 

But I won't judge which is better, it depends on the sounds, the voices, the mikes used. Like the difference of - let's say Sennheiser 5000 series to Lectro Hybrid. 

As a regular user of 633 and 664 I experienced a more "analogue" sound on the 664 in contrast to that "digital" 633 (which has a digital signal processing like the 688).

I suspect a lot of that is due to your own predilection and the fact that you know which device you're listening to. You want the analog device to sound better.

In a proper blind test the result could be different

8 hours ago, Constantin said:

In a proper blind test the result could be different

No doubt of course, especially an internally recorded file.

It may be more significant when listening to the outputs: 633: A/D + D/A. 664: all analogue.