Sound Devices 664 sounds better than 688?

Joe Mullins

I heard there are some folks out there who believe the Sound Devices 664 sounds better than the 688. Does anyone out there share this opinion? I'd love to hear some comments on this and some explanations as to why the 664 might sound "better".

[I currently own a 633 and have spent a fair amount of time working with the 688 (which I love). I am planning on purchasing the 688 for the additional channels, ability to use the SL-6, Dugan/MixAssist, and to have EQ control with the CL-12. The 664 would give me only 1/4 of those features.]

Some ppl will say it all depends. And they are right!

The thing here is that you can buy a second hand 664 for $3000 and the 688 costs $6000 no second hand available... so if you've got the money go for it. Or maybe you should consider buying better lavs, wireless, mics, comteks etc...

This is the game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drove a 664+cl6 from when they first came out until earlier this year.  It sounded great.  My major complaints, and why I sold it, were that it was too big for me as a doco-bag recorder anymore, and that even though it had a lot of inputs and features the actual monitor routing you could end up with was kind of limited (ie pre vs post fade etc) vs the later 6xx recorders.   Since I originally bought the machine for more complex jobs this was a bit of a disappointment, and the 633 that replaced it delivers on that score to a much greater extent. 

As a regular user of 633 and 664 I experienced a more "analogue" sound on the 664 in contrast to that "digital" 633 (which has a digital signal processing like the 688).

The 664 sounds a little warmer, forgiving, the limiters more smooth in my ears, while the 633 is a little harsh sometimes but clean and direct. 

But I won't judge which is better, it depends on the sounds, the voices, the mikes used. Like the difference of - let's say Sennheiser 5000 series to Lectro Hybrid. 

As a regular user of 633 and 664 I experienced a more "analogue" sound on the 664 in contrast to that "digital" 633 (which has a digital signal processing like the 688).

I suspect a lot of that is due to your own predilection and the fact that you know which device you're listening to. You want the analog device to sound better.

In a proper blind test the result could be different

8 hours ago, Constantin said:

No doubt of course, especially an internally recorded file.

It may be more significant when listening to the outputs: 633: A/D + D/A. 664: all analogue.

• 2 years later...
On 5/23/2017 at 5:55 PM, Constantin said:

I suspect a lot of that is due to your own predilection and the fact that you know which device you're listening to. You want the analog device to sound better.

I recently changed my 664 for a 633. And since i was thinking that my 664 sounded better (not because of analogue pres or digital) i thought to give it a try here and see if there where more people thinking like me. I found this thread and i m laughing to myself. I love this website. I don’t personally know you Constantin but most of the things i read from you i agree and also respect. But on this one i have to disagree. I know the sound of my 664 like the palm of my hand. And listening to my new 633 i can tell you that the clipping is much more forgiving, and the limiters are incredibly much better. I m surprised at the difference between both recorders. Of course they are both awesome beasts. But i find ridding my levels a bit lower because i m scared of limiting too much or clipping. On my 664 it was almost imposible to make it clip and the limiters are smooth as baby skin.

✌️

On 5/18/2017 at 10:55 PM, manuelchk said:

688 costs $6000 no second hand available...

***Shameless plug warning***

i know of that’s available right now on this forum... it’s mine! Someone go buy it!

But I actually found the 664 to sound nicer as well. It’s subtle, but I preferred it. Limiters specifically. But they are all really nice. I have a 633 and the aforementioned 688 and am never unhappy with how they sound. It’s kind of splitting hairs in my opinion. But we sound people sure do love to split hairs.

1 hour ago, patoggt said:

But on this one i have to disagree. I know the sound of my 664 like the palm of my hand. 

Not sure where we disagree. I never said the 664 sounds better or worse, in fact I have never listened to one. I just said that in a proper test the result might be different and it might not be

6 hours ago, patoggt said:

And listening to my new 633 i can tell you that the clipping is much more forgiving, and the limiters are incredibly much better. I m surprised at the difference between both recorders. Of course they are both awesome beasts. But i find ridding my levels a bit lower because i m scared of limiting too much or clipping. On my 664 it was almost imposible to make it clip and the limiters are smooth as baby skin.

Are you perhaps thinking of the inputs 4 to 6 with the 633 which are line level only and without a limiter on it?

9 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

2 years on I don't miss my 664.  The far more flexible routing in the 633 has been really helpful on all sorts of jobs, and Dugan has been quite amazing. 

Yes! I agree 100% with you. This are the exact same reasons i changed my 664 for a 633. But i will miss the limiters!

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Are you perhaps thinking of the inputs 4 to 6 with the 633 which are line level only and without a limiter on it?

Nope. The limiters where better on the 664.