Bye-bye 600 MHz – Audio Technica Response

Ty Ford

Hi,

Amidst the chatter and clatter of what to do when the door closes on the 600MHz band. Here's a reasoned response. Now for all of you still using 700 MHz.......well........you know.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/site/16505e589e0be6c8/index.html

Everyone's situation may be different. How do you see this situation and what's your strategy?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Most soundies I know, who are generally small-time one man band types often in smaller markets, plan to re-freq what gear they can (if the $ make sense), sell off other 600+ gear that is saleable (perhaps to overseas buyers, esp through consignment sites like Trew) and for the less-valuable but still usable stuff use it until you get run-over by a corporate buyer of the spectrum.  In non-big-event use the chances of being busted are very small, the more likely scenario is that the gear will just eventually be swamped by RF from the new services in that band.  This is pretty much how things went down in the 700 MHz days, only it took A LOT longer for anything real to happen re: that auction.  And, yes, again, the government makes a lot of money from the auction, the FCC makes political points with big business (re: the commissioners future careers), the tech companies get even more fabulously rich, and the manufacturers of wireless equipment get a windfall of new sales for gear to replace perfectly usable but now out-of-legal-band gear.  Who ends up with the short end of this stick (again)?   Who do you think?

• 2 months later...

quote the FCC:

Bidding in the auction closed on March 30, 2017, repurposing 84 megahertz of spectrum – 70 megahertz for licensed use and another 14 megahertz for wireless microphones and unlicensed use. The auction yielded $19.8 billion in revenue, including $10.05 billion for winning broadcast bidders and more than $7 billion to be deposited to the U.S. Treasury for deficit reduction.

The federal budget of the USA for 2015 was $3.8 trillion. I got out my calculator and figured out that $7 billion is about .185% of $3.8 trillion.

( Can somebody please check my math ? )

They sold off the 600MHz band of the public airwaves for a paltry .185%  of one year's annual budget. Amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, LDstudios said:

When will 600MHz gear become illegal in the US? 

Final cutoff is 2020, but there are other factors in play such as spectrum purchasers testing prior to that date (started this month).  It has been much discussed here, so I would recommend searching for those threads to get a fuller understanding.

On 7/25/2017 at 11:57 PM, mikewest said:

NZ and maybe Australia will be in the market for 600 Lectro gear !

mke

I bought a venue field / SMQa's / SRB's loaded with nothing but 600mhz from New Zealand a few years back, probably will end up selling it right back that direction ironically enough!

• 2 weeks later...