DPA Slim or 4060/61?

RyanDoesSound

I’d be more worried about having to use too much of the SK2000s gain with the lower sensitivity lav. 

If if you want to record ambience with DPA lavs I would think the 4060 would be a better choice since it has the most sensitivity and least self noise but I have not used them in this way myself. 

• 5 months later...

Now that the Slims have been out in the world for a bit longer, how do people feel about them compared to the regular 4060s? Do they match with the "fat" ones well? I'm considering getting a couple of mics soon-ish, and I'm thinking about the option of getting 1 slim and 1 regular, could be good especially since the price is the same.

I've been using 4060 slims and regular 4060 with Zax for a little while now and I'm happy with both. Picking up a core 4060 tomorrow and we'll see how that fares.

To be honest I prefer the sound of the 4060 with flat cap in most situations. Especially hair rigs or a quick plant. The slims work best when hidden, hence their design, as they have a presence boost similar to the 4071 or crisp cap. 

Really depends on your needs. If you need a slim easy to hide mic, go with the slims. If you want a more versatile mic with different frequency caps go with the standard 406x. Pretty much always use these with the flat cap.

I went slims and am now working my way up through 4060's. This was based on replacing my Sankens, 4063 and 4071 and what was going to be most functional to me.

Cheers Nate.

18 minutes ago, Ilari Sivil said:

Now that the Slims have been out in the world for a bit longer, how do people feel about them compared to the regular 4060s? Do they match with the "fat" ones well? I'm considering getting a couple of mics soon-ish, and I'm thinking about the option of getting 1 slim and 1 regular, could be good especially since the price is the same.

If you want to hear both a 4060 and 4061 side-by-side in some very dynamic scenes have a look at this film, Pass Over (included with Amazon Prime):

https://www.amazon.com/Pass-Over-Jon-Michael-Hill/dp/B07BNTC7ZM

Since it was essentially a filmed play it was not possible to use a boom for any of it and the sound you hear is entirely lavs. I used a 4060 on the character "Kitch" and a 4061 on his friend "Moses". Lectrosonics SMs all-around. Of course, what you hear is a finished product that has been through audio post and surely cleaned up and EQ'd a bit but it gives you a good sense of the kind of sound you can expect from DPAs. Both were chest mounted. I would have used 4061s on both of them if I had the option available but I was surprised how well the 4060 handled even the loudest passages of his performance. 

I don't know if they did any ADR, maybe for a line or two to fix something or change something but I'm mostly hearing the lavs as I remember them.

I'd like to hear the new 4060 Core and see how it compares to the 4061. I'm not sure I agree about the transmitter burning up before the lav. Anyways you'll know if that's the case because the receiver indicates transmitter limiting which happens way before the SM would really clip. For this I think I had my 4060/SMa set at 12-14 and you can always go a bit lower than that even if you're trying to completely avoid the limiter. A rep of Lectro told me that there is no "sweet spot" gain setting with the servo input on SMs and they typically recommend the 4060 over the 4061 for most dialog needs. That said, when things get loud there's times you ask yourself if it would be a little cleaner on a 4061 but since loudness is so transient it's often hard to judge. People's voices tend to sound harsher when they get loud too so it's a very difficult thing to judge unless the clipping or limiting is totally obvious.

I will say that one telling test between the 4060 and 4061 you can do with any Lectro receiver is listen to dead quiet at your normal gain levels, crank up your head phone gain a bit, now cycle through all the SmartNR settings on the Lectro receiver. On a 4061 you'll notice pretty large shifts in self noise from the lav. With a 4060 the noise floor hardly changes at all even if you turn SmartNR off. Obviously in most situations this doesn't matter much but it's an interesting test. If you need something dead clean at the lowest SPLs then get the 4060.   

Since mixing this I've swapped one of my 4060s for a 4071 and I'm finding I often go for the 4071 first these days but it really depends on voice quality and mounting.