Farewell innovation?

Matt Bacon AMPS

7 hours ago, Wandering Ear said:

I would be very interested in the patent stories surrounding the Nagra and other recorders, regardless of what opinions I hold currently, it's still an interesting story.  Please do share.

I also find David's patent stories interesting, thank you David for that bit of history.

I'm not sure I believe that support for the legal process of defending a patent, and support for the companies you choose to work with are mutually exclusive things.  We can all have feelings/opinions around this process, but those don't (can't / shouldn't) interfere with the legal process, or the end results of such.  

+1

I'm more interested in histories, ideas and ethics of design, production and marketing than the particularities of either manufacturer. Being in this field just means I'm more likely to get into a conversation about how those things apply to a recorder than a car. I really appreciate this forum as place for conversations of all kinds and accept subtly and nuance can be often hard to convey or interpret in short posts. 'Gate keeping' or deciding what others have decided is above my 'pay grade' but asking question and exploring issues is not.

8 hours ago, Constantin said:

I sometimes find it very difficult to get rid of my own loyalties toward a company. My parents always had a BMW and to this day I find it more difficult to criticize BMW than any other car maker, even though there are good reasons for doing so.
With my gear it's even worse. When I started out I always had my eyes on a Schoeps mic, but could neither afford it nor justify it. But for a long time there I was longing for a Schoeps mic, and again now I find it difficult to not like anything that Schoeps does. Although... of course we all know that whatever Schoeps do is beyond reproach

Well, yes. (!) 

An interesting point to consider from copyright law may have application here:.

"The primary purpose of copyright law is not so much to protect the economic interests of the authors and artists, but rather to promote the progress of the useful arts—that is knowledge and creative works—by providing an incentive for the creation through giving the creative community exclusive rights in their works for a limited period." Not the same as a patent, but perhaps a similar concept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Folks--as I've aged in this biz I have discovered that it's best to not make assumptions about esoteric technicalities in other department's rice bowls.  I also found, in the course of dealing with some IC agreements etc that what I think a line or a word means in a legal doc might not be what lawyers or a court think it means.  Like, that's why lawyers go to school for a long time?   Even if one of us actually was a lawyer (where is attorney-soundie John Haptas when we need him?) their interpretation of the docs would only be their interpretation.  The courts will decide.  This kind of sucks, but it seems to be where this deal is at now.

On 6/1/2017 at 6:35 PM, Jeff Wexler said:

David, I was aware of the Kodak patents, I thank you for spelling it all out so thoroughly --- you and I are both students of history.

Jeff, thank you for your appreciation. If one lives long enough one gets to be a student of history.

I recall also that our mutual friend, Mike Denecke, actively defended his patents. Of course, I think he was defending particular circuit designs and not attempting to protect something very general like the idea of a timecode slate. That would have been an uphill task as Ivan Kruglak and Coherent Communications had done that first. (As acknowledged on the Denecke website)

I think patents serve us all best when they protect an ingenious solution to a particular engineering challenge and less well when they attempt to protect the first person to recognize the obvious and then attach a hands-off label to gravity or the idea of a film loop. I can't say whether this suspicion fits the present dispute. 

David

• 8 months later...
4 minutes ago, NathanWBS said:

Thanks Nathan. This was one of the sources I had found when I was digging around, but sadly after reading it over several times I don't understand what is being said, and therefore can't tell if the patent dispute has ended or if it is ongoing.

2 hours ago, abuck050 said:

Thanks Nathan. This was one of the sources I had found when I was digging around, but sadly after reading it over several times I don't understand what is being said, and therefore can't tell if the patent dispute has ended or if it is ongoing.

In a sense it hasn't even started yet. The lawyers are still filing briefs as to where the case will be heard; New York or New Mexico. It will probably be months before a decision is made by the court as to location. 

What a waste.

LEF