New Boom Pole at CineGear

Kelly Dodds

Looks cool. The threads on the bottom made me nervous. I can imagine the red ring getting loose over time introducing noise.. 

But I'd never buy anything from a company with that name. :P I never buy food from a restaurant with the name King or Best or anything like that either.

1 hour ago, Olle Sjostrom said:

But I'd never buy anything from a company with that name.

I only came across RRS very recently, a review of one of their VERY expensive high end tripods: so I imagine whatever they do is done with very high attention to detail and quality (even if features look cheap at first glance).

The fact they have the boom attached, with shotgun mic, to one of their tripods with seemingly no counterbalance in the video attests to the strength and balance of tripod and boom and quality of attachment mechanism ...

Curious how they went about reducing internal cable noise: cloth covered cable or cloth sheath over cable inside the pole? Regardless, unless it's reduced to the point of silence I think I'd wish for a method to remove the internal cable - I'm very much of the other camp, like Buffalo Girls - round the outside.

Expect it will not be in any way cheap, and that for many to choose it over other favourites might well be that 'tripod-boom' setup possibility. Certainly worth keeping an eye out, and indeed contacting them for info and with suggestions for those here really interested in picking up (and helping develop) a new high end boom design for their needs ...

Jez

On 6/3/2017 at 8:49 AM, Derek H said:

Pretty cool actually. The bottom piece makes a lot of sense and I'm surprised none of the other manufacturers have used that design yet. 

Yeah, right?  Now that you see it, it seems logical.  That's the only thing I really liked about the pole.  The features I didn't like were the foam on the bottom section, and the cable exit point at the top.  Why all pole manufactures don't make that where a XLR male connector can pass through is beyond me.  VDB and PSC poles have that feature and it is great!  It makes replacing cables and cleaning poles a snap.  No removing connectors and re-soldering required.

For those of you unfamiliar with Really Right Stuff's operations and manufacturing capabilities, I did a "deep dive" on them a few weeks ago when I happened to be in their city.  The video doesn't discuss audio components, but it does give you a feel for them as a company.  They are quality in my opinion.

The company was started by a husband and wife many years.  I bought from them, at the time it was mostly word of mouth with a few choices.  They retired and sold it to this couple with deeper pockets and vision.  All very solid and well made.