Sound Quality - Then and Now

RPSharman

9 hours ago, tourtelot said:

As the legend Jim Webb said to me on a job in the 1980's sometime, "Doug, they just don't make movies like they used to."  Nothing new to out complaints.

D.

That's the truth IMO. Think about films like "Ordinary People", "Last Detail", "Wait Until Dark", "Last Picture Show" etc....   Story was paramount, even above star power. They all had strong directors, single producers, good writers, maybe a literary heritage, quality actors (not stars per se) and a realistic shooting and post schedule. Not how they're made today. I agree w Mike West as well about the UK films and what we call TV. Best place to find well made story driven content.

CrewC

On 6/21/2017 at 0:42 PM, old school said:

That's the truth IMO. Think about films like "Ordinary People", "Last Detail", "Wait Until Dark", "Last Picture Show" etc....   Story was paramount, even above star power. They all had strong directors, single producers, good writers, maybe a literary heritage, quality actors (not stars per se) and a realistic shooting and post schedule. Not how they're made today. I agree w Mike West as well about the UK films and what we call TV. Best place to find well made story driven content.

CrewC

Well said sir!

I'm currently watching a TV series shot in Ireland, no Hollywood stars, just script/casting/direction

plus great camera style and sound, what could be better.

Oh one error of mine! Gillian Anderson is the lead role and is a most remarkable actress.

I was never a fan of X Files but Gillian is a truly amazing woman.

"The Fall" highly recommended

mike

Watching "The Fall" last night caused me to realise that using lavs actors

can get away with very low level deliveries.

Fine I know that the dramatic intent of a scene can require that but I wonder if it then becomes a habit.

Low level delivery causes the tonality of a voice to be lost and similarly this tonality loss has become

a feature of the way that many young women talk, with the gravel sound caused by glottle rattle.

It's a very ugly phenomenon!

mike