Recording, '50s Style

mono

Published on Apr 20, 2017

"Inspired by Norman Petty and Sam Phillips, studio owner Dean Amos has lovingly built a perfect recreation of a 1950s recording environment — right down to the dimensions of the pegboard!

We eavesdrop on a session at Sugar Ray’s Vintage Recording Studio to find out why it’s still valid to record an entire band to tape, with one microphone.

We also talk to engineer Lincoln Grounds and the band about the challenges they faced when recording this way.

What we discovered may surprise you...

See the interviews and session in the video and hear the recordings at http://www.soundonsound.com/technique... "

As a music recording hobbiest, I really enjoyed this post/video. Gear, with all its pluses, minuses, limitations, characteristics, etc all play a big part of a songs sound, but the biggest, most important element is the performance when done 50's style live in a room with players making the magic. Thanks for this find mono.

CrewC

Single microphone recording can work well for simple situations if a natural balance

between the instruments is present.

The greater number of instruments and the loudness of each may mean that a

natural balance is not easily possible and also the detail of each instrument may be compromised.

An orchestra can be captured with one microphone because the conductor controls the balance.

Whereas  a large jazz band presents a more difficult situation as the are loud brass instruments,

a drum kit that can be loud or soft, a piano and perhaps amplified bass or guitars.

Add to this a vocalist and the need for more than one microphone is obvious in order

to achieve separation and balance.

mike

On 21 June 2017 at 1:11 AM, mikewest said:

(snip) ....

Whereas  a large jazz band presents a more difficult situation as the are loud brass instruments,

a drum kit that can be loud or soft, a piano and perhaps amplified bass or guitars.

(snip)

In the short but wonderful window of '63 to '65 many Skatalites tracks were recorded I believe around a single mic and to me it's an awesome noise. Fluctuating line up of who was around out of the potential members, but generally any or all from,

Drum kit (featuring the flying cymbals of Lloyd Knibbs), upright bass, piano, trombone, alto sax, flute, 1-2 tenor sax, 1-2 trumpet.

Balance Energy and Performance on every disc - I was lucky and honoured to be introduced to the aforementioned Knibbs, bassist Lloyd Brevitt and alto player Lester Sterling several years back.

Jez

These discs did not reach me in the UK sadly.

My greatest jazz experiences were West Coast musicians captured on the Contemporary label in stereo

by Lester Koening and Roy DuNann in the mid 50's using Telefunken, Neumann and AKG

microphones in a "hole in the middle" stereo setup an using Ampex recorders.

Hear any of these sessions on CD today and it defies belief that they were recorded mid to late 50's

mike

I've seen this video before. Very cool. I'm a UA guy in my home studio. Love their stuff. Would love some vintage hardware from them. Someday hopefully. As a hobbiest I have recorded many in all manner of modern ProTools style and a few times in the 50's style with the whole band going for the magic. Less can be more in this day and age of unlimited tracks.

CrewC

On 6/23/2017 at 3:40 AM, mono said:

Ahhhh . . .   Merit You Tube's 'view-tracking algorithms' ?  (e.g. - While technically not the "50"s style" per-se ... This was in this morning's "YT recommended for you" 'in-box' . . . ) 

Look like the knobs Bruce used on his mixer!