Helical Antenna DIY

chris_bollard

Just logged back on after a short holiday (you all must know what that is?) and great to see that there are others on the forum interested in making their own helical.

I'm interested in getting the scanned info. Also in seeing who cracks the prototype first.

Hi Chris,11PM: here in Vancouver, just got back in and remembered I had to send you the files,let me know if you got them.

VE7KJR (PHIL)

Have sourced the right polycarbonate tube at about $120

Have sourced the copper foil at $8

Have sourced the brass foil at $15

Will make the ground plane from an aluminum disc yet to be costed.

What fun!!

mike

www.mikewestgatesound.co.nz

Hey Mike

Please let me know how your contruction plans go - in the interests of Trans-Tasman relations :))

Just got a price from Shure in Sydney - $1755 Oz dollars. Even given the plumeting value of the Pacific peso this still seems like highway robbery.

If you have success I'd love to hear about it and if you're willing toshare you plans try them out myself.

Cheers

Chris B

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

the ultimate test is if the range of the Helix is greater staight on or at 135 degrees. if its off axis, trash it and start over.

its not that easy !!!!!!!!!!!

i have some at 1200 MHz for sale - they really work well and have been tweeked and field tested. start to work at 900 but get better at 1100 and go up to 1800 or so, still OK at 2400. somewhere between 6 and 9 db over i. 6 turns. pvc tubing, alu backplane.

by a well know designer.builder in USA tweaked with an 80K $ signal analyser.

the math is only 50 of the build, the others are the tweak with a good test instrument. have fun. wolf