T-Mobile to begin rollout of 600 MHz spectrum this summer.

Johnny Karlsson

1 hour ago, Gordonmoore1 said:

just a few 5Mhz blocks

Thanks for jumping in on this topic Gordon.

So If you curretly own Block 26 what are the reprucussions and what are the stipulations heading forward of using it? Is it affecting production for you?

1 hour ago, Gordonmoore1 said:

they can't wipe it out singlehanded

But does that mean other parties now own the rest?

Thank you

Bill

6 hours ago, RadoStefanov said:

I see a certain network channel use block 27 and 28 in vegas. 700mHz is still not deployed here so I would not worry about 600mHz.

Worry, no.  But, be aware that there my be testing on sections of the 600mHz band. 

Plus there are many unknowns in how the TV repacking, scheduled to take place over the next three years, will affect us.

20 hours ago, Sound Intuition said:

So If you curretly own Block 26 what are the reprucussions and what are the stipulations heading forward of using it? Is it affecting production for you?

But does that mean other parties now own the rest?

Thank you

Bill

Blocks 24, 25, 26 will eventually go away, forced off the air by both regulatory mandate (FCC rules) and by physics (the cell transmissions will blow you off the air).  That will take time - how long depends on the speed of the execution of the auction reallocation of TV stations and the speed of infrastructure construction by the cell companies who won spectrum in the auction.  The ultimate regulatory deadline is July 13, 2020.

As far as affecting production for wireless manufacturers  - it means we are discouraging US buyers from buying anything in the 600MHz bands now - Blocks 24, 25 and 26 (Band C) - unless you have a valid economic reason to buy now and change later (long term contract that gives you a good return on buying now and using for the next three years as an example).  These blocks are still sold elsewhere so we are still building them but we must cease selling them in the US by October 13, 2018. 

As far as the rest of the 600MHz spectrum NOT owned by T-Mobile (who has the most ambitious implementation plan) - there are numerous other buyers and their rate of adaptation and implementation will vary.  Some may not even be up and running by 2020 - it's very hard to predict the future - as others have pointed out, the 700MHz band is not yet fully implemented and it has been 8 years.

So, if I owned a Lectro block 26, what would I do?  I would first check to see if it can be block changed to a lower block - that is certainly a more cost effective method than any rebates or trade-ins.  Several recent models still have that option available. Check with the factory.   If so, then wait until you have a good time for a changeup - (you have until 2020) and then get it changed.  If it is a really old legacy product where certain parts are no longer available so block or freq changes cannot be done, then I would consider selling it ASAP before the rush or working it to death until it can't be used any longer (legally or physically, whichever comes first), then selling it overseas via eBay and upgrading to the latest generation.  If it is THAT old, you got good life out it and an upgrade to the newer gear will give you new capabilities.  

The good news is that you don't have to act immediately  - but act eventually you must.  There's no rush, no panic - you will simply notice it getting tougher to us as new stuff starts firing up. 

Gordon

• 3 months later...

Received on Friday--certified letter from T-Mobile -- shot across the bow.

Their website  (www.howmobileworks.com/spectrum/) is thanking  "ancillary equipment occupants of the 600MHz band" in advance for telling all their broadcast colleagues about the imperative to vacate their frequency allocations. 

t-Mobile.jpg.pdf

t mobil website.pdf