Lancashire soundie

Cheapo boom pole

Recommended Posts

I occasionally get asked to provide a long boom pole.  Not enough, however, to justify spending a decent sum on a quality one.

So at the risk of inviting much ire, has anyone any experience of these?  Squeaks and creaks are solvable issues IMO.  The last time I turned up on a job and the client wanted a long boom pole, I found myself spending money in a fishing tackle shop...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Miliboo-portable-carbon-fiber-microphone-Boom-pole-Handheld-Grip-Support-Rod-Flash-Light-microfonos-Holder/32744962343.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IronFilm   
On 6/28/2017 at 10:31 PM, Lancashire soundie said:

I occasionally get asked to provide a long boom pole.  Not enough, however, to justify spending a decent sum on a quality one.

So at the risk of inviting much ire, has anyone any experience of these?  Squeaks and creaks are solvable issues IMO.  The last time I turned up on a job and the client wanted a long boom pole, I found myself spending money in a fishing tackle shop...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Miliboo-portable-carbon-fiber-microphone-Boom-pole-Handheld-Grip-Support-Rod-Flash-Light-microfonos-Holder/32744962343.html

I've been using a Miliboo boom pole for a couple of years now, a 3m one. 
Got a 5m one off Aliexpress earlier this year. 

They're not as great as one costing many many times more, but for their price? They are surprisingly good! 
I've done an entire feature film with them overseas, plus many many more shoots. They're holding up ok. 
If the budget is tight and it is hard to justify spending any more than a little, then it is hard go wrong with these (the fact they have free international shipping is a bonus fact for many non-Americans like myself! Or otherwise living in a more remote-ish country outside Europe/America). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I've been using a Miliboo boom pole for a couple of years now, a 3m one. 
Got a 5m one off Aliexpress earlier this year. 

They're not as great as one costing many many times more, but for their price? They are surprisingly good! 
I've done an entire feature film with them overseas, plus many many more shoots. They're holding up ok. 
If the budget is tight and it is hard to justify spending any more than a little, then it is hard go wrong with these (the fact they have free international shipping is a bonus fact for many non-Americans like myself! Or otherwise living in a more remote-ish country outside Europe/America). 

Good to know, thanks! 

Is it possible to rig them with an internal cable?

-Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the intended use for this pole, re: fishing?  It looks like it might be a bit heavy and microphonic compared to a bonafide movie fishpole, but as was said: cheap and available!  As a veteran of some yellow-type "painter's pole " shoots this thing looks way better!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RCarew said:

The caveat for a knock-off Boomboy, is "How good is the weld?"  The weld quality of the joint where the stem meets the yoke (under the rubberized coating), is important.

On the original topic: 

If you're learning by doing cut-rate gigs for low-budget films -- then, whatever works.  Learn by doing and learning to listen as you're doing.

If you're working professional jobs at professional rates, then you should have professional gear and should know how to operate it.

If you're doing cut-rate work for fully professional gigs, then you're screwing yourself and everyone else in this business.  If you wish to ever earn a good living doing this, then don't undercut others -- it WILL affect your future!

But, yes, a boom pole has a few basic functions that become more important the further up the food chain you travel: 

* First and foremost, they must hold a microphone in a proper position
* Hold a microphone without creaking or microphonics
* Minimal handling noise
* Minimal noise when cued
* Minimal noise as extended or collapsed
* Easily extended or collapsed
* Easy to hold extended for long periods
* Easy to store
* Project a proper professional image

Note that cheaper beginning gear can be reassigned as a backup when you progress.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IronFilm   
On 7/8/2017 at 6:15 AM, Mobilemike said:

Good to know, thanks! 

Is it possible to rig them with an internal cable?

-Mike

Yup, although I prefer at the moment external cabling so I haven't done that. 

 

On 7/8/2017 at 6:49 AM, Philip Perkins said:

What is the intended use for this pole, re: fishing?  It looks like it might be a bit heavy and microphonic compared to a bonafide movie fishpole, but as was said: cheap and available!  As a veteran of some yellow-type "painter's pole " shoots this thing looks way better!

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better!!! 

On 7/11/2017 at 0:50 AM, RCarew said:


I have that too! ;-) It really is such a simple thing, hard to go wrong with it. 

On 7/11/2017 at 1:42 AM, John Blankenship said:

The caveat for a knock-off Boomboy, is "How good is the weld?"  The weld quality of the joint where the stem meets the yoke (under the rubberized coating), is important.

 

I wouldn't at all be surprised if the Boomboy is the exact identical item, but with its own branding and marketed better.  Thus they can then ask a higher price for it.

This happens a ***LOT*** with products out of China. 

On 7/11/2017 at 1:42 AM, John Blankenship said:

Note that cheaper beginning gear can be reassigned as a backup when you progress.

Exactly my plan! That will be the future usage of my current Sony UWP-D11 wireless, Oktava MK012, Zoom F4, etc etc... once they each get upgraded (hopefully in the near-ish future!). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I wouldn't at all be surprised if the Boomboy is the exact identical item, but with its own branding and marketed better.  Thus they can then ask a higher price for it.

This happens a ***LOT*** with products out of China.

...

I wouldn't count on that.  I've heard the "identical item" and "out of the same factory" arguments many times over the years -- assigned to a number of different products -- of course by people who have no way of actually knowing -- and have learned such assumptions can be quite misleading. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
giraffe   
I wouldn't count on that.  I've heard the "identical item" and "out of the same factory" arguments many times over the years -- assigned to a number of different products -- of course by people who have no way of actually knowing -- and have learned such assumptions can be quite misleading. 

It's pretty common, I can't speak to the pole in question, but I've seen many many examples of it in different pieces of low end audio gear.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
daniel   
17 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

I wouldn't count on that.  I've heard the "identical item" and "out of the same factory" arguments many times over the years -- assigned to a number of different products -- of course by people who have no way of actually knowing -- and have learned such assumptions can be quite misleading. 

Yeah, but we're talking about some 1/2" rod being bent and welded in 2 places - crazy at it sounds there are people in other countries who know how to do this too, along with making smart phones, Ivanka's handbags, high speed trains and launching satellites. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, daniel said:

Yeah, but we're talking about some 1/2" rod being bent and welded in 2 places - crazy at it sounds there are people in other countries who know how to do this too, along with making smart phones, Ivanka's handbags, high speed trains and launching satellites. 

And yet, all your sarcasm aside, I bought one that broke at the weld.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Constantin said:


Hopefully that was the Chinese one!

It was a Walmart one that was sold as a fishing pole holder.  Glen Trew has stated that the Remote Audio Boom Boy has reinforced welds.  Neither of my Boom Boys has shown any sign of weakness.  

Still, like most things, I carry backups for Justin.

...Justin Case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IronFilm   
On 7/16/2017 at 9:54 PM, daniel said:

Yeah, but we're talking about some 1/2" rod being bent and welded in 2 places - crazy at it sounds there are people in other countries who know how to do this too, along with making smart phones, Ivanka's handbags, high speed trains and launching satellites. 

Don't forget about the rubber casing too! 
Very complex technology there. 
Totally unimaginable how anyone outside the USA would be capable of this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aginzo   
On 7/16/2017 at 0:47 PM, John Blankenship said:

It was a Walmart one that was sold as a fishing pole holder.  Glen Trew has stated that the Remote Audio Boom Boy has reinforced welds.  Neither of my Boom Boys has shown any sign of weakness.  

Still, like most things, I carry backups for Justin.

...Justin Case.

I have 2 of the Walmart ones for years now. They're fantastic and I've never had one break on me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I have 2 of the Walmart ones for years now. They're fantastic and I've never had one break on me. 

And that's great, but generally I would hope that "we" as a group buy our gear from one of us, like Remote Audio, Zaxcom, SD, etc., rather than "them" at Walmart.

I don't mean that as a personal attack at Aginzo, just using the above quote to make a general point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aginzo   

I agree but buying something from Walmart I don't agree makes it a "them" situation. You buy what you need that works for you. I wouldn't recommend someone working in our field to buy a recorder that would be a sub par. However, then why spend more money for some thing that can save you a bundle. The exact same item I have is double the amount. It's exactly the same thing.

I'm talking about this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C{creative}%2C{keyword}&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImf6Mn7yT1QIVSSSBCh3PXwl5EAQYASABEgKCTPD_BwE&is=REG&m=Y&sku=885688

or this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C{creative}%2C{keyword}&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsbXw-byT1QIV1zqBCh1_vwfsEAQYAyABEgLumfD_BwE&is=REG&sku=425318

versus this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Attwood-Stainless-Steel-Wire-Form-Rod-Holder/16203685

If it works and it's the same thing, then why not use it? It's not going to cause people to try and buy digital recorders and wireless at Walmart. It's one small item of many that we sound people will use at any given time that works. 

Do you know how many major professional sound mixer would use hair ties for the XLR's? How many clothespins were probably purchased at places like Walmart instead of spending the overhead inflated price at a rental house? I'm sure there are numerous items that have the same analogy so many veteran sound mixers out there use on a daily basis.  How many times sound mixers have built a DIY project to save money instead of paying for the "already built" version a rental and sales company is selling? 

I get the nobility of supporting our folk but they're not being crushed financially because of these small issues.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, we all make choices based on... whatever. Often money. Of course, we all run a business of some kind. The hairpins you can buy at a rental house were not made by a location sound (or location in general) manufacturer. That's different. The boom Boy (as an example) was made by Remote Audio (or made to their spec), that to me is a difference.

Bear in mind that a company like Remote Audio or Sound Guys Solutions mostly exist only because they make these accessories (these smal issues). If you only buy your big ticket items at specialized shops, those other companies wouldn't exist, along with their great products, some of which cannot be found anywhere else

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aginzo   

I'm not promoting people avoid going to Remote Audio and Sound Guys. Those companies make quality products and I support everything thing they're doing. Of course, research first and buy with information in mind. 

I get the loyalty and I'm not suggesting anyone forgo anything. To each his or her own. My only comment was "I have 2 of the Walmart ones for years now. They're fantastic and I've never had one break on me." Just a fact. 

This is actually the one I have 2 of. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shoreline-Marine-Wire-Rod-Holder-Black/35259613?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227023801071&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40971372992&wl4=pla-78914208152&wl5=9011803&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=35259613&wl13=&veh=sem

Again, simply because it's purchased at Walmart doesn't mean quality suffers. The product is just sold there and you can buy it only in many other sites. Attwood also sells this same product and I'm pretty sure they're weld points are substantial. My brother in law is a major fisherman and uses fishing poles with this very same product. Some of his poles weigh substantially a lot more than a boom pole, mic, windscreen, and  Zepplin. 

Most of Remote Audio and Sound Guys stuff are items you can't just buy anywhere. 

No one's running to Walmart to forgo buying the rest of they're quality audio products but I see what you're saying. 

This one from Ali Express looks ball on exactly like the Boom Boy from Remote Audio. Probably in every DNA way possible. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Easy-Hood-Metal-C-Stand-Audio-Microphone-Mic-Boom-Pole-Holder-Boompole-Support-Stand/32360241096.html?s=p

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You bring up a good point. We have power as consumers and we should think to whom we give our moneys. Given the choice I would rather give my money to remote audio than to walmart.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting.

Are the folks that appear obsessed with the claim that their cheapie holders are identical to a Boom Boy maintaining that Glen Trew is lying when he states that the BB has better-reinforced welds, or are they convinced that he simply doesn't know as much about the products his company produces as they do? Strange obsession.

I own five of this type of holder, three from Walmart, and two Boom Boys. One of the Walmart ones broke at the weld. It was under a good bit of pressure at the time -- not unlike the pressure some here seem to feel to maintain an unproven assumption.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aginzo   
46 minutes ago, AnuarYahya said:

You bring up a good point. We have power as consumers and we should think to whom we give our moneys. Given the choice I would rather give my money to remote audio than to walmart.. 

Most of the products that are mentioned you can buy from other stores outside of Walmart. It's just one store. The fish pole products are sold all over the internet and other stores besides Walmart. Forget Walmart. It's actually irrelevant. 

41 minutes ago, John Blankenship said:

Interesting.

Are the folks that appear obsessed with the claim that their cheapie holders are identical to a Boom Boy maintaining that Glen Trew is lying when he states that the BB has better-reinforced welds, or are they convinced that he simply doesn't know as much about the products his company produces as they do? Strange obsession.

I own five of this type of holder, three from Walmart, and two Boom Boys. One of the Walmart ones broke at the weld. It was under a good bit of pressure at the time -- not unlike the pressure some here seem to feel to maintain an unproven assumption.

I'm not claiming the one you bought wasn't defective. I've had 2 for five years under lots of strian and they've never broke. No obsession. Just stating a fact. I'm in no way stating the Boom Boy by Remote Audio is a bad product. Can you show where I did? I'm curious. IN fact I think I've maintained that it is a great product. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now