Cheapo boom pole

Lancashire soundie

I agree, lets forget walmart, but you are still giving money to who knows where. Better buy from your trusted sound shop. Even at a slightly elevated cost. Then you also guarantee what you are paying for. Why settle for cheap knock offs? Its all fun and games until a boom falls on talent.  But like you said, to each his own. 

Also, regarding chepo boom poles: I bought I chepo K&M boom pole not more than two years ago and it already needs to be replaced. It has become very squeaky and a tightening collar has broken.

Better buy a quality item once and be done with it. Thats what I say. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, aginzo said:

I'm not claiming the one you bought wasn't defective. I've had 2 for five years under lots of strian and they've never broke. No obsession. Just stating a fact. I'm in no way stating the Boom Boy by Remote Audio is a bad product. Can you show where I did? I'm curious. IN fact I think I've maintained that it is a great product. 

First, I don't understand why this is being so passionately debated -- a boom pole holder is just an inexpensive professional tool.

Sorry, my comments weren't aimed at you personally -- they were intended to address comments I've read in this thread that made conclusions based solely on uninformed assumptions and that dismiss statements made by a well-regarded manufacturer and member of our community.

26 minutes ago, daniel said:
3 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

Apparently the fellow being interviewed is making sweeping statements.

At least he's not giving them the brush-off.

What is the current day rate for an experiencend broom op these days? 

10 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

First, I don't understand why this is being so passionately debated -- a boom pole holder is just an inexpensive professional tool.

Sorry, my comments weren't aimed at you personally -- they were intended to address comments I've read in this thread that made conclusions based solely on uninformed assumptions and that dismiss statements made by a well-regarded manufacturer and member of our community.

I agree john. I have no idea why anyone would be debating me.

All I said was "I have 2 of the Walmart ones for years now. They're fantastic and I've never had one break on me.". Just a fact. I guess it needed to be demonized. Go figure. 

They think because I might buy one negligible item at a place outside the usual suspects that I must be buying nothing but cheap equipment promoting some sort of ulterior movement. 95% of the equipment I buy is Zaxcom, Sennheiser, Remote Audio, Inspired Energy, K-Tek boom poles and Stingray bag and harness, and many other items from many of the major pro-audio brands. Most via Gotham, Trew Audio, Pro-Sound, TAI Audio, and many more places. However, I got my Sennheiser MKH 416 on Craigslist because it was $600 and at the time they were still going for $1000. Sorry, I got a deal and it worked out for me. I got my Zaxcom wireless via another sound mixer right here on JWSound and not brand new via a company we all know. My Nomad was brand new from Gotham. My boom pole brand new via a company off of eBay. Many of my cables are specialty and purchased via many different places most likely because of best price although a few locally purchased at TAI Audio because they had to be made and I saved on shipping. 

I'm not at all or even close to the financial level as many on here so I find deals and bargains. I see many in our people have a problem with that...too bad. You don't pay my mortgage or my wife's enormous student loans. I know many in our field are successful and have the glorious liberties to buy equipment like they're buying M & M's. I can't. I don't have multiple packages but I am a 23 year sound mixer and well liked in my market. That's good enough for me. 

Not a rant by the way. However, apparently, this needed to be explained because of one small post letting people know my one purchase at Walmart was justified. Go figure. 

11 hours ago, AnuarYahya said:

I agree, lets forget walmart, but you are still giving money to who knows where. Better buy from your trusted sound shop. Even at a slightly elevated cost. Then you also guarantee what you are paying for. Why settle for cheap knock offs? Its all fun and games until a boom falls on talent.  But like you said, to each his own. 

Also, regarding chepo boom poles: I bought I chepo K&M boom pole not more than two years ago and it already needs to be replaced. It has become very squeaky and a tightening collar has broken.

Better buy a quality item once and be done with it. Thats what I say. 

"I agree, let's forget Walmart, but you are still giving money to who knows where. Better buy from your trusted sound shop. Even at a slightly elevated cost. Then you also guarantee what you are paying for. Why settle for cheap knock offs? It's all fun and games until a boom falls on talent.  But like you said, to each his own." Agreed. I own a K-Tek boom pole and 95% of my gear is all the brands' people here know and trust. I'm not promoting that. I don't know why or where people got that impression because I said that my 2 boom pole holders that happen to have purchased at Walmart (Mainly because it's 2 minutes from my house and under $10) and worked out well for several years now. I was lucky I know. I still don't get the debate. 

2 hours ago, aginzo said:

...(Long post -- saving bandwidth by not quoting it all - <g>).

In reaction to your a tad defensive post -- one thing to remember is that very few things are actually personal.  Those who state how important it is to support those who support us are most likely not really referencing a couple of $13 purchases.  Not intending to speak for them, but my take is that their posts more broadly address the dozens of newbies we get here who only think of how cheaply they can buy something rather than how they can grow in the craft and build a career within a community.

There is, of course, nothing wrong with buying used, considering costs, making good deals, etc.  These are all part of running a business, as are the further considerations of how one supports and contributes to the community.  Too frequently the newbies (and occasionally others) neglect the latter part.

For instance, some of my earlier comments address years of hearing one of the most absurd assumptions around. I probably couldn't count on hands, toes, nose, and penis (twenty-two for those scoring along at home) the amount of times I've heard the unsourced statement that (___fill_in_the_blank___) look similar, and are therefore all made in the same factory, so there is no difference between brands.  From guitar strings to VCRs these "experts" proudly proclaim this misleading meme -- often quite militantly.  After many years of experience I've learned these statements are most often made without substantiating evidence and lack any degree of understanding in regard to manufacturing contracts, processes, constraints, and specifications. Time and again my experience has borne out that such statements come from ignorance much more often than from knowledge.  Yes, Virginia, there are differences -- vive la différence.

8 hours ago, mikewest said:

Sure, I think it's catching on !!!!

mike

Broom operator.jpg

Love this! 

Aginzo, I am sorry if I came off as hostile. However it is all friendly debating between fellow soundies. It is fun to talk about and I understand you are just tying to make a point, as was I. Nothing personal. 

It is a good topic tho, I mean not just directed at you. Buying gear online from B&H or amazon is becoming cheaper and easier than ever (i am guilty of this as well) 

3 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

In reaction to your a tad defensive post -- one thing to remember is that very few things are actually personal.  Those who state how important it is to support those who support us are most likely not really referencing a couple of $13 purchases.  Not intending to speak for them, but my take is that their posts more broadly address the dozens of newbies we get here who only think of how cheaply they can buy something rather than how they can grow in the craft and build a career within a community.

There is, of course, nothing wrong with buying used, considering costs, making good deals, etc.  These are all part of running a business, as are the further considerations of how one supports and contributes to the community.  Too frequently the newbies (and occasionally others) neglect the latter part.

For instance, some of my earlier comments address years of hearing one of the most absurd assumptions around. I probably couldn't count on hands, toes, nose, and penis (twenty-two for those scoring along at home) the amount of times I've heard the unsourced statement that (___fill_in_the_blank___) look similar, and are therefore all made in the same factory, so there is no difference between brands.  From guitar strings to VCRs these "experts" proudly proclaim this misleading meme -- often quite militantly.  After many years of experience I've learned these statements are most often made without substantiating evidence and lack any degree of understanding in regard to manufacturing contracts, processes, constraints, and specifications. Time and again my experience has borne out that such statements come from ignorance much more often than from knowledge.  Yes, Virginia, there are differences -- vive la différence.

I didn't think my one comment needed defending but apparently, it did. You weren't at all the culprit however, I'm only defensive because apparently, I must have been on the offense. Again, all I said was my boom caddy that I happen to get from the offensive place that being the mart Ala Wal has been good to me. Apparently, I committed a great sin that I didn't purposely pay double the amount and order form a so-called approved list. Well, that loss was my gain. 

2 hours ago, AnuarYahya said:

Love this! 

Aginzo, I am sorry if I came off as hostile. However it is all friendly debating between fellow soundies. It is fun to talk about and I understand you are just tying to make a point, as was I. Nothing personal. 

It is a good topic tho, I mean not just directed at you. Buying gear online from B&H or amazon is becoming cheaper and easier than ever (i am guilty of this as well) 

Never took any insult nor am, I upset in any way. Yes, I love kind debate. I mean to each his or her own but if you can save a dollar here or there and not sacrifice quality I say why not? I think I made extremely clear I'm doing that albeit some on here have a different philosophy. That's cool too. 

5 hours ago, aginzo said:

All I said was "I have 2 of the Walmart ones for years now. They're fantastic and I've never had one break on me.". Just a fact. I guess it needed to be demonized. Go figure

Hi Aginzo, sorry if you feel demonized or attacked in any way, that wasn't my intent. I had tried to make that clear in my first post of this strand of the thread, but apparently I didn't. 

Again, this was not meant as a personal attack or insult, I didn't even mean to criticize your particular buying choice. Nor do I care where you buy your BoomBoy, or what else you buy at Walmart and why. We all have to make ends meet, and for some this is easier than it is for others. This also doesn't question your entire career, I only used your quote to make the general point that I was hoping most of us buy their stuff at the usual suspects and not at Walmart or something like that (including B&H). I was perhaps hoping for some kind of discussion about this issue, which I do believe is important and I really liked Karl Wasserman's response to you spin-off discussion on Facebook where he made many good points. 

I don't think this issue relates to diy and second-hand purchases. It's also not about trying to save money. 

again, apologies  Aginzo if you felt attacked or unfairly picked on

4 hours ago, Constantin said:

Hi Aginzo, sorry if you feel demonized or attacked in any way, that wasn't my intent. I had tried to make that clear in my first post of this strand of the thread, but apparently I didn't. 

Again, this was not meant as a personal attack or insult, I didn't even mean to criticize your particular buying choice. Nor do I care where you buy your BoomBoy, or what else you buy at Walmart and why. We all have to make ends meet, and for some this is easier than it is for others. This also doesn't question your entire career, I only used your quote to make the general point that I was hoping most of us buy their stuff at the usual suspects and not at Walmart or something like that (including B&H). I was perhaps hoping for some kind of discussion about this issue, which I do believe is important and I really liked Karl Wasserman's response to you spin-off discussion on Facebook where he made many good points. 

I don't think this issue relates to diy and second-hand purchases. It's also not about trying to save money. 

again, apologies  Aginzo if you felt attacked or unfairly picked on

No worries. I just don't even see a personal issue with purchasing things at Walmart. I know there is a political issue larger than I care to discuss because I don't disagree with them about the hatred of Walmart. I'm just not really boycotting them either. I shop there from time to time. In all honesty, I ran across the item one day while I was there buying materials to change my oil as I do a lot of my own car repair and maintenance and find Walmart a real bargain compared to auto retail stores. I can change my oil on my car for less than $20 sometimes and that's using synthetic. But I digress. I still don't see why anyone who can use an item bought somewhere else that can do the same job is considered bad. Yes, I know there is an inherent loyalty to the usual suspects but if you are providing a great service to your clients then I see no real harm. If it's a personal nerve hitting issue because it's Walmart, well for those with that issue, a simple solution is to pretend I said Stuckey's Grab N' Go instead. In reality, it doesn't matter as in the end you still have to provide, when it's all said and done, a bottom line quality product to your client. I personally don't care where or how anyone does it. No one person can control how, where and what people buy to do their job. All you can control is your own destiny. No apologies needed. This isn't my first rodeo. 

After much back and forth, I thought I would suggest an alternate to the fishing pole (as opposed to fish pole) derived cradles, whether from Bass Pro Shops or ruggedized by Glen Trew.

I've been using (on occasion) the Boom Buddy cradle, a purpose-built device I purchased from Audio Services in Los Angeles. (Which should give some sense of how long I've had the thingy.)

It is designed to be fit into a standard gobo head and the design cradles a boom pole without putting any clamping strain on the carbon fiber tube. I checked and it is still listed in the Location Sound catalog:

http://www.locationsound.com/searchresults.html?filter_name=boom+buddy

At $65 it's a bit more expensive than the Bass Pro designs but I've never heard of a failure. And it would work equally well with the broom-pole illustrated above.

David

Here's a picture:

BoomBuddySml.jpeg

I've been using (on occasion) the Boom Buddy cradle, a purpose-built device I purchased from Audio Services in Los Angeles. (Which should give some sense of how long I've had the thingy.)

I have the Boom Buddy, too, as well as the BoomBoy. It's pretty nice, but I was always worried that it could tip left or right easier than the BoomBoy. Especially if that rubber section aged and got loose. But I assume that hasn't happened with your Boom Buddy. Mine is only a few years old, but I very rarely use it. Same with the BoomBoy. I need either piece maybe max once a year
No apologies needed. This isn't my first rodeo. 

Ok then. Maybe then consider it an apology for what's still to come...
No, I'm kidding of course.
I still don't see why anyone who can use an item bought somewhere else that can do the same job is considered bad. 

No one is considered bad, because of their buying choices. Short-sighted maybe, but not bad.
I think you still seeing this too much on a personal level.
And to re-iterate: it is not about Walmart. That's a different discussion. It's about strengthening and supporting those companies that exist solely to provide and develop services and products for our industry. They need money for that. Money they earn in part from selling things a bit more expensive than you might expect to pay someplace else - for a similar product.
Anyway, this is getting a bit boring. Just re-read what Karl Wasserman wrote to your Facebook post. Then either you'll agree or you won't. Who cares, right?

On 7/19/2017 at 6:43 AM, aginzo said:

However, then why spend more money for some thing that can save you a bundle.

Exactly. We are all running a business here. Thus like any other business we have carefully analyze where our expenses are going. 

On 7/19/2017 at 10:52 AM, aginzo said:

Again, simply because it's purchased at Walmart doesn't mean quality suffers. The product is just sold there and you can buy it only in many other sites. Attwood also sells this same product and I'm pretty sure they're weld points are substantial. My brother in law is a major fisherman and uses fishing poles with this very same product. Some of his poles weigh substantially a lot more than a boom pole, mic, windscreen, and  Zepplin. 

I wouldn't be surprised at all if such a product is under greater peak stress while fishing than what we use them for!

I'd like to point out that the boom pole holder that David Waelder posted is in fact the Boom Mate, created and distributed by Marty Truman.

Apart from possibly needing new powder coating after a few thousand days of use, the Boom Mate will never fail.  It can be bought from any/all of the usual suspects.

https://www.trewaudio.com/product/boom-mate/

1 hour ago, Doc Justice said:

I'd like to point out that the boom pole holder that David Waelder posted is in fact the Boom Mate, created and distributed by Marty Truman.

Apart from possibly needing new powder coating after a few thousand days of use, the Boom Mate will never fail.  It can be bought from any/all of the usual suspects.

https://www.trewaudio.com/product/boom-mate/

You'll have to go back in the thread. My comment long ago was not at all talking about that product. That's a whole different product and that's a more original design. That one is also incredible. My comment was simply a comment on someone else's comment about that one. Hard to explain but if you go back to my OP then you'll see why I commented. Mine was just a confirmation about the other boom holder.

Nope. My comment was a comment from this one from John Blankenship only

Constantin said:
Hopefully, that was the Chinese one!"

John said:

"It was a Walmart one that was sold as a fishing pole holder.  Glen Trew has stated that the Remote Audio Boom Boy has reinforced welds.  Neither of my Boom Boys has shown any sign of weakness.  

Still, like most things, I carry backups for Justin.

...Justin Case."

Then I commented from John:

"I have 2 of the Walmart ones for years now. They're fantastic and I've never had one break on me. "

John Had spoken earlier inthe thread about the Boom Boy form remote Audio which is very much the exact same from the one from Walmart. He may have gotten originally the wrong item in mind but that was not what i commenting on. And for some reason that one comment I made has become the obsession of 2017. My comment was sort of a tangent to the orignal post. Apparantly, I have that kind of power. 

Nope. My comment was a comment from this one from John Blankenship only

Yes, but Doc Justice was neither referring to you nor to John Blankenship, nor to the BoomBoy, regardless of a Walmart or RemoteAudio origin. He was talking about the Boom Mate, in reference to David Waelder's comment.

@ Doc Justice:

You are quite right; Boom Mate is the proper name for the device. My example is now so old and well used that the name on the label is almost completely unreadable. A search on the LSC site turned up a link with Boom Buddy input so I went with it.

@ aginzo:

Sorry for the small hijack. These discussions often stray from one side of the path to another and I thought there had been enough general discussion of variously sourced boom holders to warrant mention of this well designed alternative.

@ The JW Sound Community:

Addressing the general subject of specialty equipment and resources, I have long been an advocate of purchasing purpose-built gear (when available) and buying from the companies that support our community. This is not a criticism of any particular action; we all buy from handy sources and can't be expected to weigh the community support aspects of every $20 purchase. But, as a general philosophy, I advocate at least checking out the offerings at the pro audio shops before going to the box stores.

On the subject of the expense of professional gear, I'd like to share this article written by one of the owners of 3 Legged Thing, a camera accessories manufacturer:

(originally published in Photography, a Flipboard/Petapixel publication)

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/21/photo-gear-costs-costs/

He has a bit of a chip on his shoulder after reading on blogs about how his $50 specialty bracket is a rip-off because a similar Chinese knock-off can be purchased for much less but his points are valid.

David

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 4:43 PM, mikewest said:

Sure, I think it's catching on !!!!

mike

Broom operator.jpg

Mike where did you find this picture? I really admire people like these.

Rob Stalder

So much Ying and Yang in this discussion.

This is an elephant in the room discussion.

Ying - David that link to the 3 legged post so impressed me. You always have a way of shining light through the forest canopy, in such a polite way.

Yang - Aginzo, from my POV you may bat for the other team. But I am so impressed with the refreshing way you put your debate,

I would like to offer you a 20% discount off any cart of mine you would like to buy. Email me if you might be interested.

Disclaimer - I do buy some Chinese, Taiwanese, Indonesian & South Korean parts...

Rob

On 7/21/2017 at 7:56 PM, aginzo said:

And for some reason that one comment I made has become the obsession of 2017. My comment was sort of a tangent to the orignal post. Apparantly, I have that kind of power. 

You are the chosen one!! All bow before the power of aginzo's word....