470-512MHZ

alenK

Hello,

I was searching for some other information and stumbled upon a statement that suggests that 470-512MHZ may be auctioned off in a few years.

Is this idea accurate? Has the FCC made their intentions clear? I have recently purchased, and continue to shop for, radios below the 600Mhz line and am wondering if we are going to be squeezed from the bottom in 2020?

Thank you. 

http://blog.rfvenue.com/2015/02/17/how-to-future-proof-your-next-wireless-microphone-purchase

"The FCC would like to auction the T-band (470-512 MHz) around 2020. That is some time away, and the fate of remaining wireless microphones there is unclear. The FCC seems to want to allow TVBDs to operate in T-band spectrum, so that bodes well for microphones and we can expect to have those 42 MHz for the foreseeable future."

The FCC will eventually auction or repack etc all of the spectrum.  Bet on it.  When this will happen is down to how much money (a lot) is behind the various pushes to change.  Users of wireless mics that use current technology are like inhabitants of low-lying islands in a global-warming driven rising sea.  Eventually....   I will repeat my plea/demand/harangue to the makers of the sort of gear we use: please find a technology that will co-exist with all the rest of the stuff in the air now and in the future, because what we're doing now will not continue to work at the level of quality and reliability expected by our clients.  Recording wireless TX are very cool, but they are not  the solution we (and live-event audio) need, finally.