Video Chat with Jan

dfisk

Interesting to hear about "Jimmy's" habits on set.  I had a mutual friend with James, and would hang out with him and his close family some summer days down at the shore.  Eventually I helped him with a few things at his Village apartment after his split.  He was actually quite introverted, which I found surprising, I didn't think there were too many introverted actors. But while my buddy, a large personality, large and loud Italian (not saying that's a common stereotype I hold - but you know, that was him) would be the life of the party at the card table, a few times James and I quietly sat away from the party and just look on, sipped our drinks, with quiet conversations.  I really value those times, not just because he was a star, but because we had things in common.  His concerns with his son Michael were some of the same concerns that I had given my own separation from my son, as I had a falling out with his mother - entirely my fault, but regardless, that commonality helped me a little and gain perspective and partially straighten out my act.  My time with James was brief and we were of different worlds, but at the time of his passing I felt like I had lost a friend, even if not really a friend I knew, but someone that I had not yet fully met.  Full sidetrack of the thread, sorry Dave and Jan, but just watching the video rekindled some good and bad memories.

On 7/1/2017 at 0:51 AM, Tom Visser said:

Interesting to hear about "Jimmy's" habits on set.  I had a mutual friend with James, and would hang out with him and his close family some summer days down at the shore.  Eventually I helped him with a few things at his Village apartment after his split.  He was actually quite introverted, which I found surprising, I didn't think there were too many introverted actors. But while my buddy, a large personality, large and loud Italian (not saying that's a common stereotype I hold - but you know, that was him) would be the life of the party at the card table, a few times James and I quietly sat away from the party and just look on, sipped our drinks, with quiet conversations.  I really value those times, not just because he was a star, but because we had things in common.  His concerns with his son Michael were some of the same concerns that I had given my own separation from my son, as I had a falling out with his mother - entirely my fault, but regardless, that commonality helped me a little and gain perspective and partially straighten out my act.  My time with James was brief and we were of different worlds, but at the time of his passing I felt like I had lost a friend, even if not really a friend I knew, but someone that I had not yet fully met.  Full sidetrack of the thread, sorry Dave and Jan, but just watching the video rekindled some good and bad memories.

Yeah, he was more introverted than you would think. The kind of shared experience you describe is always memorable and moving. Glad you found brotherhood with him. He was an empath for sure.

Another memory: soon after the breakup there was a marked increase in press attention / attendance. Michael was still an infant and Jimmy came out into the parking lot where we were setting up, his beautiful boy in his arms. He addressed the paparazzi in calm, measured tones asking them to please be respectful of his son and his family. The love in his voice... They all sort of melted away.